Can the trendnet TEW-452BRP be loaded with dd-wrt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Glen_S
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 22:35    Post subject: Can the trendnet TEW-452BRP be loaded with dd-wrt? Reply with quote
I can pick up one of these for $20 new ($60 discount) and was wondering if:

- they are a good router

- can they be flashed with dd-wrt?

Can't find any mention of them on the wiki, but thought maybe someone here might know.

thanks!
Sponsor
Falseadress
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was also wondering the same question. My trend net router keeps on rebooting without reason. Is this router suiteable for running DD-wrt?
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can open it and see what hardware is inside. Then I can tell.
Falseadress
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just opened it up.
The MOdel Is : Tew-432-BRP
H/W: B1.0R

The main board says : wlg-2206
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you make a picture?
Falseadress
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure, i will post a pic as soon as i find my camera.
shblende
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 0:27    Post subject: TEW-432BRP Pic Reply with quote
Here's a picture of the inside of a Trendnet TEW-432BRP C1.0R. I tried to flash with v4_std_generic.bin but it failed with "bad request". Let me know if you think it can be flashed with some version of dd-wrt.

Thanks,
Steve

XP1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please let me know if this is possible since I have the same model. The Internet connection disconnects sometimes each month on the stock firmware. Anyway, I got this router for free off a NewEgg promotion so it doesn't matter much if nothing can be done.
mods4fun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, these cannot run dd-wrt as they only have 1MB of flash. Does anyone have any links to open source router firmware that could fit on this flash? Would it be *possible* to recompile dd-wrt micro and take things out to make it less than 1MB? Is this router even hackable? Does anyone know what OS it runs? Yeah, a lot of questions, I know, but I'd appreciate it if anyone would take the time to answer some/all of them. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im believe dd-wrt will never support Marvell chipset.

Maybe OpenWRT support Marvell chipset

HW:
CPU Marvell 88??????
1MB Flash
Atheros WLAN

WLAN Mini PCI-E Card: Broadcom bcm4312 (Laptop)
WLAN PCI-E Card: Ralink RT2860 (Desktop)
deneb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:39    Post subject: Mine has 2MB flash Reply with quote
Maybe I have an older version, but my TEW-432BRP has a Spansion FL016A flash chip which, according to the spec sheet has "16 Megabit" (2MB) capacity. The other chips are:

Atheros AR2317
ESMT SDRAM M12L64164 (8MB ram)
Marvell 88E6060 ethernet switch

So from the sound of it the Marvell chip would be the limiting factor? These would be great to get working because you can pick one up for $5 after rebates at compusa every few weeks.

This isn't my primary router so I would be willing to give it a try if there are any suggestions. I just got started with DD-WRT on my old flaky belkin, which is working great now with the micro build. I had to use the nvram workaround to get the switch to work, maybe we can do something similar with this trendnet?
uski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Marvell chip you see is the Ethernet switch, it is not the main processor.

There must be another chip on the other side of the PCB.

Could you please take a picture of the other side of the PCB ?

For your information, the firmware of that router is available here:
http://downloads.trendnet.com/TEW%2D452BRP/

It is an ARJ archive. If you decompress it, you get what seems to be a ROM image, which contains strings which shows that the router probably runs off the ThreadX RTOS.
uski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Axtually the main CPU is inside the AR2317 SoC... which seems to be supported to some extent by OpenWRT for the "RG54SE II" MSI router, which has 2MB of FLASH and 8MB of RAM.

Looks like it should be possible to run Linux on the TEW-432BRP...
Spudz76
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm unsure of ThreadX boot specifics, but perhaps something similar to the VxWorks killer/replacer would work to get a Linux-able bootstrap in there.

There are a few people working on Atheros SoC's over at OpenWRT, but I don't know if it works with the AR2317 yet. There may be clues there about how to kill ThreadX if at all possible. This Atheros SoC does support multiple OS choices so it shouldn't be too hard - but it may take JTAG or etc to replace the bootstrap/failsafe code.

Also, can someone post the voltage and amps these run on? I'd like to know if it's cheap AND low-power (something I wouldn't hesitate to make into an outdoor self contained solar battery repeater and if someone finds it/rips it off then who really cares).
mods4fun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
uski wrote:
The Marvell chip you see is the Ethernet switch, it is not the main processor.

There must be another chip on the other side of the PCB.

Could you please take a picture of the other side of the PCB ?

For your information, the firmware of that router is available here:
http://downloads.trendnet.com/TEW%2D452BRP/

It is an ARJ archive. If you decompress it, you get what seems to be a ROM image, which contains strings which shows that the router probably runs off the ThreadX RTOS.

That's actually the firmware for the TEW-452BRP. The firmware for the TEW-432BRP is here:
(there are 4 hardware revisions)
http://downloads.trendnet.com/TEW-432BRP/
http://downloads.trendnet.com/TEW-432BRP_bx/
http://downloads.trendnet.com/TEW-432BRP_c1/
http://downloads.trendnet.com/TEW-432BRP_d1/

I own the one that is pictured -- version C1.1R. The bottom of the board says "WLG-2214" and a google revealed that this is the name of a router made by a company named "Cameo." (I'm convinced that this one is simply a rebranding of that one - compare these two pictures) I've been trying to get a copy of that firmware to see if it will run on this device, but I have come up empty so far.

EDIT: I just realized that people in this thread keep going back and forth between the 452 and the 432. Perhaps they are similar, though. I don't know. Btw: that picture is a picture of the 432.

Navigation

Jump to: