Why reset to defaults

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
cool77 wrote:
Hello guys, I'm using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/03/15) kongac - build 26135M on a R7000. Can I still use ddup command line to update to this version or need to do extra steps? Usually, I factory reset before and after flashing, then do a manual config. Since this is a long process (for me Smile, time is relative! ) I update once a year. Cheers, Cool77

Not that it hurts anything, I am curious why so many of the newer players out there do a config reset BEFORE flashing new firmware...
The is NO value add to a wipe pre-flash. 0

Doesn't make a difference to me, I'm just surprised by the number of users who post their upgrade process and reset the router config twice.

Just like I still read newer users posting they did a 30-30-30 reset on an arm based router for reason xyz.
Makes no sense.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
Sponsor
MikeMcr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:

Not that it hurts anything, I am curious why so many of the newer players out there do a config reset BEFORE flashing new firmware...
The is NO value add to a wipe pre-flash.

Multiple times in the past I've flashed my R7000, it rebooted and I found the firmware version had not changed. The only way I could get it to flash was to reset to defaults and try again. Then it worked. No idea why but I've read a few other posts stating the same.

I now always follow that procedure (followed by another reset after flashing) because like you say, it doesn't hurt and I don't have to worry about a possible failed flash.
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
MikeMcr wrote:
slidermike wrote:

The is NO value add to a wipe pre-flash.

Multiple times in the past I've flashed my R7000, it rebooted and I found the firmware version had not changed. The only way I could get it to flash was to reset to defaults and try again. Then it worked. No idea why but I've read a few other posts stating the same.

I now always follow that procedure (followed by another reset after flashing) because like you say, it doesn't hurt and I don't have to worry about a possible failed flash.

This has happened to me once or twice as well out of what seems like hundreds of flashes over the last 2 years with the R7000...deal with it by doing the extra reset to defaults before flashing when a regular flash fails. Hardly ever. Saves time, but if the router doesn't flash, then I know what to do *smile*.

On the other hand, always reset to factory defaults after a flash, and manually re-enter my configuration settings. Been burned by not doing that too many times, way more than the couple of times that my router hasn't flashed the first time *smile*. I'm sure that there are those that don't do that unless they have problems, too *smile*, but I don't waste time trying to diagnose those problems, just spend a few extra minutes on that reset to factory defaults after a flash, and don't have those wacky, random problems in the first place.
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been using DD-WRT when I moved from my wireless-b only router to a wireless-bg router. I've learned over the years that I just have less problems factory defaulting BEFORE and AFTER any firmware update, then manually inputting all settings. Taking short cuts can be a real head-ache and time consuming.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thats just silly. i never reset every time i upgrade firmware unless its hooked up to the serial console for testing.

But after seeing users here posting about issues they are having with certain builds for the same routers i have (which work fine on my side), i decided to get two starting with the wrt1900ac. That way, my family has less problems because i can test on mine first, and if it works right, just upgrade the other one thats for the family.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
mac913 wrote:
I've learned over the years that I just have less problems factory defaulting BEFORE and AFTER any firmware update, then manually inputting all settings. Taking short cuts can be a real head-ache and time consuming.
Exactly that; since switching most devices over to DD last June, I've had many instances of soft bricks (no webif until a hard reset, etc.) on my WRT54GL and GS, WNDR4000, and WNDR4500v2, and so finally learned that a reset before never had those issues. I was actually tempted to try it today updating my 4000. 'Eff that,' my conscious said. I was comparing nvram from the GUI reset vs 'erase nvram' command, which led to this idea actually, but I digress.

I'm all for shortcuts when they make sense and (/or) work. I've had this shortcut fail too often. I can 'reset/set password/update/reset/set password/apply settings' in my sleep now. Razz

So, if one can update w/o a prior reset, and never had issues, then go for it, and I am envious.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
A long reset is an emergency reset which makes the Broadcom CFE wipe out the nvram settings and initialise nvram with a few important router defaults.
You will lose any factory defaults that the routers stock firmware has stored in nvram.

The 1st 30 second of pushing the resetbutton when ddwrt runs is just not needed, a short push will do the same which is reboot the router. You can achieve the same by pushing the gui reboot button.

The 2nd 30, ie turn off router and wait 30 seconds before turning it on is just bogus, has no effect other than a placebo effect.
30-1-30 would do the same.

The 3rd 30 is what does something but should only be used when nothing else helps. It does not work in the u-boot boot loader (atheros, ralink, marvell) only in Broadcom.

The gui function for Factory defaults will wipe out any ddwrt setting but will keep defaults from CFE and from stock firmware.
Reset to factory defaults keeps variables which are needed for router type detection so it is the only nvram reset you should ever use before an upgrade.
You may need to do a reset to factory defaults if an nvram variables function changes between firmware version something which is extremely rare.

Finally, don't listen to users telling you to do "erase nvram" on a telnet cmd line.
This wipes out the complete nvram area (nvram variables and the nvram header) together with anything else residing in the mtd partition named nvram.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
The 2nd 30, ie turn off router and wait 30 seconds before turning it on is just bogus, has no effect other than a placebo effect.
I agree, but one second may not allow for capacitor/etc drain time, so that all hardware devices are properly reset. On my WNDR4000, if I pull power for a couple seconds than immediately reapply, the router will soft brick. Pulling power for ~10 sec always fixes it, so that's become my de facto standard for all my routers. Razz
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
The 1st 30 second of pushing the resetbutton when ddwrt runs is just not needed, a short push will do the same which is reboot the router. You can achieve the same by pushing the gui reboot button.
It may well have been conjecture, but I recall in some post (by one of the DD Gurus I thought...they at least made it sound like they'd looked at the code regarding it) that DD does the 'factory defaults' reset when the reset button is held for 10sec (then letting go of it does the reboot)? I think I've tested this actually, to fix the aforementioned WNDR4000 soft brick... will have to try this again.

But thanks LOM, this thread is turning into Sticky material! Smile

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
LOM wrote:
It may well have been conjecture, but I recall in some post (by one of the DD Gurus I thought...they at least made it sound like they'd looked at the code regarding it) that DD does the 'factory defaults' reset when the reset button is held for 10sec (then letting go of it does the reboot)? I think I've tested this actually, to fix the aforementioned WNDR4000 soft brick... will have to try this again.

I don't think it does but apart from that what would the reason be to restore to factory defaults when you are going to do the 3rd 30 where the CFE completely cleans the nvram and then inserts only a subset of factory defaults?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
If they don't want you to restore settings then why have a backup feature to begin with?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
A long reset is an emergency reset which makes the Broadcom CFE wipe out the nvram settings and initialise nvram with a few important router defaults.
You will lose any factory defaults that the routers stock firmware has stored in nvram.

The 3rd 30 is what does something but should only be used when nothing else helps. It does not work in the u-boot boot loader (atheros, ralink, marvell) only in Broadcom.

The gui function for Factory defaults will wipe out any ddwrt setting but will keep defaults from CFE and from stock firmware.
Reset to factory defaults keeps variables which are needed for router type detection so it is the only nvram reset you should ever use before an upgrade.
You may need to do a reset to factory defaults if an nvram variables function changes between firmware version something which is extremely rare.

Finally, don't listen to users telling you to do "erase nvram" on a telnet cmd line.
This wipes out the complete nvram area (nvram variables and the nvram header) together with anything else residing in the mtd partition named nvram.

I only ever do the 30-1-30. 30-30-30 was from the days, long past, where users could not deal with advanced concepts like remembering more than one number.

I have always understood that the purpose of the nvram reset was to remove variable that were stored in different formats with different builds. In extreme circumstances, when significant changes were made in nvram variables, failing to clear them could cause bricks.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone tell me the easiest way to clear nvram for an r6700?

Is this it? In the commands section enter: erase nvram && reboot
GreyDoc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
e3000usr wrote:

yes
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
GreyDoc wrote:
e3000usr wrote:

yes

That's exactly what one should not do.

Navigation

Jump to: