TRENDnet TEW-811DRU [experiences so far]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Inspector Gadget
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
With the current DD-WRT build, smooth sailing. I paid $20 for this router. I appreciate your comments. I have never opened up a router to see what the inside looks like. I $ cost average the purchase price of any and all routers. For an AC router (I have one wireless AC card) it serves my needs.

The TEW-811DRU is a test router for me because of the wireless AC feature. This router has gigagbit connections which is a nice bonus.
Sponsor
apple15
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 14:09    Post subject: TRENDnet TEW-811DRU - Unstable Connections Reply with quote
I used Wifi Analyser (android app) to monitor my TEW-811DRU (recent DD-WRT installed) and found the signal going from high to none and repeat few feet away. That's on N and same on AC.
anyone experience this with TEW-811?
thanks
taydu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget wrote:
With the current DD-WRT build, smooth sailing. I paid $20 for this router. I appreciate your comments. I have never opened up a router to see what the inside looks like. I $ cost average the purchase price of any and all routers. For an AC router (I have one wireless AC card) it serves my needs.

The TEW-811DRU is a test router for me because of the wireless AC feature. This router has gigagbit connections which is a nice bonus.

what version is that ? can i get the link to download? Im running the latest stock firmware and internet connection keep dropping every few minutes after router being on for couple days

Thanks
jerrytouille
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
taydu wrote:

what version is that ? can i get the link to download? Im running the latest stock firmware and internet connection keep dropping every few minutes after router being on for couple days

Thanks

This is the latest: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/12-24-2015-r28598/trendnet-811DRU/trendnet-811dru-webflash.bin
daviddyer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed the latest version as well. Looks OK. But printer sharing is not working. Checked system, it looks like p910nd is not there, so...

looks like the 2015 Xmas eve version is mini.

Read the whole thread, then re-flashed it to 24461, this is the standard version and the printer sharing worked. Smile
artooman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
daviddyer, did you notice bad 2.4 GHz download speed?

Just updating with my experiences on the tew-811dru. I couldn't pass up a $20 router with dd-wrt possibilities despite all the problems people seem to be running into.

I tried the version from the trendnet website first (12/23/13 r23201). It seemed to work well until I started looking into speed tests. They were all over the map. I was seeing anywhere from 50-85 Mbps download on 5 GHz. Nothing consistent. And the 2.4 GHz was never better than 20 Mbps which is a joke. This is all pretty sad considering I could consistently get 100-106 Mbps on my other router (tew-812dru v2, stock firmware, 2.4 and 5.0 GHz). That is the max download for my ISP service. Note that wired internet has been fine, maxing out ISP BW. Also, I am sitting next to the router, and I never tried stock firmware.

After reading this thread, it seems like r24461 is a better version so I tried that. The speeds seem to be better on 5 GHz (85-101 Mbps) which is a wide range but much better than before. however, the 2.4 Ghz range is still a joke at ~27 Mbps. Anyone do better than this on 2.4 GHz? If so which version are you using?

I'll update with my experiences after more time with this revision.
artooman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I updated to the latest (12/24/15 r28598), and the 5 GHz speeds got better. I am consistently getting 100-122 Mbps which matches the best speeds I get on wired and on my stock tew-812dru. Impressive. That is the good news.

The bad news is that the 2.4 GHz speed is still crap. I still see about 26-27 Mbps.

I haven't tried too many other features yet including USB or printer sharing or whatever else. Just commenting on speed tests using default settings (with a minor tweak to SSID).
artooman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, another update. I got a second tew-811dru and did speed tests with the stock firmware. The results were in line with the DD-WRT results. This basically confirms that the 2.4 GHz wireless is relatively slow because of the hardware limitations and not because of a DD-WRT firmware issue.

So far, I have found no issues after running with DD-WRT 12/24/15 r28598 (which appears to be a mini) for the last three days. I am running it as a "Wireless Access Point". I also installed DD-WRT on the second tew-811dru as a typical main wireless router for my in-laws. I'll post s message to this thread if I run into any issues with either one. Otherwise, you can assume that life is good!
WVUTampaAlum
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
So what's the story? Are there speed problems and other issues with this router?
plubar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently purchased a TEW-811DRU and I am having all kinds of issues with Airplay. I set this up in Client Bridge mode and now none of my apple devices can see airplay on my Yamaha receiver. It will work for a very short time, then I will lose airplay. I have an older Trendnet tew-647ga that I used before to connect to my Yamaha and Airplay worked perfectly.

And thoughts on settings I should change?
snehne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
New to this device ... read through the thread without finding the answers I am looking for.

I tried a number of builds. The earlier ones have NTFS support but not NAS; the later ones I tried have NAS but won't mount NTFS/Fat32. Is there a build that supports both?

Also it seems that the wireless MAC filtering option is per physical interface; that is, if I have one private wifi network and a guest networkon the same 2.4G freq, the MAC filter (if used) must apply to both. That does not seem to make sense ... All DD-WRT installations I have had on other devices don't have this limitation. Did I do anything wrong?

Thanks,

Sean
chrisjwhite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:31    Post subject: Adding antennas Reply with quote
It looks like, based on the pictures here and in another forum, additional antennas could be soldered on the board. Would that increase the range? Am I correct or crazy?
peteo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 16:51    Post subject: OpenVPN Reply with quote
is there a TRENDnet TEW-811DRU dd-wrt build that supports OpenVPN?
phorce1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 19:54    Post subject: Re: Adding antennas Reply with quote
chrisjwhite wrote:
It looks like, based on the pictures here and in another forum, additional antennas could be soldered on the board. Would that increase the range? Am I correct or crazy?

No soldering required. There are connectors on the board. Get two short IPX to RP-SMA adapter cables. Drill holes in case. Attach adapter cables. Now use any external antenna you want.
jerrytouille
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any trick to attach a fan onto the cpu heat sink?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: