DIY Repeater for XFINITY WiFi Hotspots using DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
alimas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 19:28    Post subject: Security past the universal wireless repeater? Reply with quote
Quote:
I would utilize one to pick up the public hotspot and the other would be used to broadcast a secure private network to the house for only our devices to connect.

Quote:
I used one antenna to receive the public hotspot connection and the other to re-broadcast a new, private SSID, into the house.

I'm trying to understand the benefits of the "secure private network".

If I understand the configuration described correctly, unless secure protocols (like HTTPS) is used, encryption only happens between the wireless clients (computers/phablets/etc.) and the universal wireless repeater (WRT54G V6 in BradfordGiosa's case).

In other words, as soon as the packets leave the universal wireless repeater towards the unsecured public hotspot, unless VPN/secure protocol is used for all connections, there's no more security, i.e., it's the same as when the wireless clients are directly connected to the unusecured public hotspot.

Are all the connections done through VPN, BradfordGiosa? Or was that not a concern as long as the private network is secure (for internal data exchange)?
Sponsor
zeno10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:40    Post subject: Re: This worked extremely well... Reply with quote
cyberjew wrote:
This worked extremely well for me, I got faster speeds than at home so I canceled my cable!!!
Here's more or less what you need to do...

Normally, in order to use TWC/Xfinity/Optimum/Cable Wifi you need to REGISTER (Authenticate) your device by logging in. You CANNOT do this via dd-wrt!
We need to get the hotspot to authenticate automatically, bypassing the sign in page.
Start with the MAC address:
I used a random one starting with 400E85 so it seems to be a Samsung phone (they'll probably blacklist MAC's belonging to routers).
Now you have 2 options to authenticate:
1, Easiest: Use the wizard in your ISP's portal to manually add your device by MAC Address (under wifi/device management)

or 2, PC: Clone this address then connect to hotspot, and when prompted Auto Sign In (google eg. clone mac address windows)

Once that's done, set dd-wrt to clone the MAC Address you used! (Setup>Mac Address Clone)
In dd-wrt I did a site survey and "joined" optimumwifi, then I added a virtual AP with my own SSID & Password. Now any device I connect (Wired too!) connected behind the router without needing to register. (Status>Wireless>Site Survey. Add Virtual interface by Wireless>Basic Settings. DO NOT set a password on the hotspot ssid only for the virtual)

Thanks alot man this was very informative. i just knew there was something going on with the Credentials and Authenticating.
Btw i am basically trying to do the same thing , connect the router to a public Xfinity Wifi Ap. The twist is i run it in Client Bridge Mode and dont take the speed penalty.

Alright first , i am not having much trouble connecting using an older desktop card ( G or super G as if it matters).It connects most of the time no problem, btw it has a 7-9dbi antennae on it.OK Second newer desktop internal antennae cant see it.

I tried this with two Routers the classic WRT54g(-TM yup)and Wrt350n. The classic seems to connect but dosent pass the authenticating page on to the computer, and win 7 just reports a dns error. Second the 350n does thing ,except i got it to connect once or twice , but it didnt ask me the authenticate.
Any information on connecting a router to a public access wifi hotspot would be most appreciated. There seems to be three camps when it comes to connecting,some people have no problems ,some have range problems, and some have authenticating problems. i seem to be in the latter.I will differently try what was suggested and post the results. Thank again most informative
kgiri247
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 17:57    Post subject: Re: This worked extremely well... Reply with quote
cyberjew wrote:
This worked extremely well for me, I got faster speeds than at home so I canceled my cable!!!
Here's more or less what you need to do...

Normally, in order to use TWC/Xfinity/Optimum/Cable Wifi you need to REGISTER (Authenticate) your device by logging in. You CANNOT do this via dd-wrt!
We need to get the hotspot to authenticate automatically, bypassing the sign in page.
Start with the MAC address:
I used a random one starting with 400E85 so it seems to be a Samsung phone (they'll probably blacklist MAC's belonging to routers).
Now you have 2 options to authenticate:
1, Easiest: Use the wizard in your ISP's portal to manually add your device by MAC Address (under wifi/device management)

or 2, PC: Clone this address then connect to hotspot, and when prompted Auto Sign In (google eg. clone mac address windows)

Once that's done, set dd-wrt to clone the MAC Address you used! (Setup>Mac Address Clone)
In dd-wrt I did a site survey and "joined" optimumwifi, then I added a virtual AP with my own SSID & Password. Now any device I connect (Wired too!) connected behind the router without needing to register. (Status>Wireless>Site Survey. Add Virtual interface by Wireless>Basic Settings. DO NOT set a password on the hotspot ssid only for the virtual)

Time limit! Usually they'll disconnect and maybe even flag your connection after 2 hours.
I set my router to reboot every 99 minutes to bypass this issue. (Administration>Keep Alive)

Beware: if you use it 24/7 they'll kick you off the hotspot after a while so be prepared to register new MAC Addresses every week or 2.

I am also struggling getting my Linksys WRT54gs to connect to the hotspot. I cloned several MACs which have already been authenticated and bypasses the Xfinity login page (MACS from my current devices, this should work right?) but cannot get it to connect. Could you possibly run through your exact configuration and setup process including what ip/subnet/gateway settings you are using. Would love to get this thing setup with the keep alive feature. Right now I have a laptop acting as a router but would like to get the Linksys working. Problem I'm having with the laptop as a router is my connection gets dropped regularly when connected to xbox live for streaming Neflix, hulu, etc. When I do get disconnected I am able to sign back in without changing any settings but is rather annoying. Any one have any other suggestions to get this running a bit more stable. The signal is fairly strong at -55 db. Thanks Guys
fuzmik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 22:35    Post subject: xfinity Reply with quote
Here is my setup with comcast xfinity.

Setting up router1 to hotspot was easy thanks to everyone in this thread. Took me less than a week for trial and error for setting up router 2.

The most trouble I had preparing this is SSID conflicts and utilizing router2 with router1 to wirelessly broadcast a network in my house. For router1, I set the SSID similar to hotspot. Then, I also set the same SSID on router2. This cause an issue of many thing. Until I said fuck it, and change SSID on router2 to whatever other than the hotspot(SSID). And it work! I got dual bands to broadcast.

How to connect a ddwrt router1(ClIENT MODE) to hotspot?
1. 30 30 30 reset.
2. use a cloned mac address that has been used to authenticate in ddwrt setting.
3. site survey and join the hotspot.
4. save and apply. leave wireless settings as it is.
5. install autoap on router1. (Search the forums)
6. plug ethernet cable to router1 and check if it works. done.
7. set router 2 as AP just as directed in ddwrt wikilinks.
8. That's it.

The downside is, I suffer -5m download speed compare to connecting to the hotspot directly, which is 15/3. Anyone know how to or where to even begin to troubleshoot the speed issue?
larryb1963
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 15:48    Post subject: I use netgear wndr 4000 daul band work for me Reply with quote
Quote:
I have been repeating opt,wifi for about 4 years now with many different routers now Im using the wndr4000 here is how I set it up
1- run build 26138 there are newer builds Im happy.
2- set you ip address to something like 192.168.15.1
3- clone mac address on both line ( I used my cellphone mac . (this step is optional)
4- Go to status and wireless
5- go to bottom of page click site survey
6- find the best signal or search again .
7 - click join site page will now change to your wireless page.
8- click save at bottom of page
9 - with mine (wl0) 2.4ghz set to AP click save
10- now go to (wl1) 2.4 /5 ghz set it as (Repeater) click save
11- you now need to go to status than wireless
12- click on (wL0) change it to (wL1)
13 click on site survey again it should only list 5 ghz band again click on the best signal
14- you should now have wifi access.
15- I missed a step change the name of the AP to what you want not the repeater . I also left the wireless channels to auto .
16 - set up wireless security on (wL0) only.. use wpa2 AES. apply and save .

I hope this will help some people with knowledge of DD-WRT . also use (you tube) as I do for answers.
RyanMM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not quite sure what's going wrong here but I'm hoping that the OP can help clarify some of the details.

Which wireless mode are you using, Client, Client Bridge, Repeater, or Repeater Bridge?

Have you configured any specific settings on the Basic setup page?

How about Security, any changes to the defaults there?

Are you using the DD-WRT router to present the MAC address of a client NIC or are you using the default MAC for the router's wireless interface?

Is this still working?

I've tried a few dozen permutations of settings and I can't get connectivity with any of them.
socalswimmer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:46    Post subject: linking routers Reply with quote
RyanMM: though i am not the OP i am currently connecting with a similar setup that i can explain for you if you still need help. i want to get online for free, and there are several xfinitywifi hotspots nearby my apartment but all have very poor signal and occasionally high noise. i use two wrt54g v2 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 mini build 13064. one connects to the hotspot and is configured as a wireless client (i call it "uplink"), the other creates my personal wifi network and has a wired connection to uplink (i call it "WAP"). WAP has DHCP turned off, and in advanced routing the mode is router. uplink is able to change its MAC address as needed to access the hotspot without affecting any of my connected devices. this way i also dont have to deal with the speed reduction that comes with configuring dd-wrt as a repeater. i basically followed the wiki for linking routers. this setup works awesome for me even if i do have to change the MAC address of uplink every hour, i get good signal and speeds.

let me know if you need any clarification
RyanMM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:38    Post subject: Re: linking routers Reply with quote
socalswimmer wrote:
RyanMM: though i am not the OP i am currently connecting with a similar setup that i can explain for you if you still need help. i want to get online for free, and there are several xfinitywifi hotspots nearby my apartment but all have very poor signal and occasionally high noise. i use two wrt54g v2 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 mini build 13064. one connects to the hotspot and is configured as a wireless client (i call it "uplink"), the other creates my personal wifi network and has a wired connection to uplink (i call it "WAP"). WAP has DHCP turned off, and in advanced routing the mode is router. uplink is able to change its MAC address as needed to access the hotspot without affecting any of my connected devices. this way i also dont have to deal with the speed reduction that comes with configuring dd-wrt as a repeater. i basically followed the wiki for linking routers. this setup works awesome for me even if i do have to change the MAC address of uplink every hour, i get good signal and speeds.

let me know if you need any clarification

Thanks! Can you take some screenshots of the settings in your uplink router?
alchemista
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:21    Post subject: Netgear EX6200 Reply with quote
I was able to get this working in about a day of frustrations.

Trying to share xfinitywifi hotspot by only connecting one time with my account and then letting any device connect to my wifi without logging in.

My only problem now is pretty bad performance (better when I had 5 devices connected to xfinitywifi separately). Perhaps Comcast throttles each individual connection? Also, I have a Netgear EX6200 with 2 large antennas - but it seems like DD-WRT is only using one of the antennas and timesplitting the airwave instead of using one antenna for connect and one to transmit (I might be doing this wrong - please correct me on how to do it).

I'll try to summarize again, and also posted screenshots of DD-WRT configs.

This is for a Netgear EX6200 extender.

Make sure you're running the latest version of DD-WRT for your router. I am using Kong's latest version for the EX6200 extender which turns it into a router.

Click Save/Apply Settings after each of these steps.

1. Do the 30-30-30 reset just in case.
2. Use a laptop to connect to DD-WRT.
3. On Security Tab, Firewall, uncheck everything and Disable the firewall
4. Under Wireless tab, on your 1st physical interface (e.g. wl0), change to Repeater mode, enter xfinitywifi as the SSID, and leave as Disabled and Bridged.
5. Add a Virtual Interface under this physical interface.
6. Set the Wireless SSID to what you want your home WiFi to be.
7. Click on the Advanced tab, and change Preamble to Short and Transmit Power to 200 (some little performance tips).
8. You should see a WAN IP address at the top-right of DD-WRT if you're repeating OK. Try apply settings again, and resetting the router if it doesn't show up. Otherwise, try everything again.

Now here's the tricky part getting the login to only apply one time - I still don't know exactly what happened and it didn't work in the order I expected.

1. At this point, connecting to your wireless SSID with a laptop should cause you to see the Comcast Xfinity hotspot splash page. If you don't get this splash page, then something's wrong. Make sure your laptop got an internal IP address from your router (e.g. 192.168.1.150).

2. With your connected laptop, run TMAC (or another MAC changer). Change the laptop MAC to a new one (random or pick one). Then you will need to reconnect to your SSID.

3. After reconnecting, then login to the Comcast splash page with your Comcast account. You should now be on the Internet.

4. Now go back into DD-WRT. Click on the Setup page, and then MAC Address Clone. Enable cloning, and enter your laptop's MAC address into both the Wireless and WAN MAC fields. Save/Apply

5. Now reset your laptop's MAC back to the original MAC address. Reconnect to your SSID.

6. At this point, you should get the Comcast splash page again. Check the URL - if it shows a MAC address that is the one you just set on the router, you're good. Login again. Now, Comcast has registered this MAC address.

7. After this happens, other devices that connect to your SSID should be directly on the Internet.
JNewtonAV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 0:17    Post subject: No success yet Reply with quote
I've been trying to do something like this for a while, I'm glad I finally found this thread. I'm using a D-Link DIR-615E3 with DD-WRTv24 but with no success so far, when connecting to the virtual ap or even wired I get "server cannot be found" in the browser. The xfinity hotspot near me is very strong and works well with the computers connected directly so I know range isn't an issue. I've tried everything suggested so far in this thread. For the mac address I used my iPad to pre-authenticate and then copied it's mac to the router into both lines. In the past i've successfully used the iPad's mac address in order to get my xbox onto the hotspot so I know that works. Now I'm wondering if I should try a different mac address... Also confused as to why some setups posted here require 2 routers? I have a Linksys WRT54G I could try instead of the D-Link if that's the issue. Would love some suggestions! Not planning on giving comcast my money again anytime soon if I can help it.
JNewtonAV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 17:34    Post subject: Re: No success yet Reply with quote
JNewtonAV wrote:
I've been trying to do something like this for a while, I'm glad I finally found this thread. I'm using a D-Link DIR-615E3 with DD-WRTv24 but with no success so far, when connecting to the virtual ap or even wired I get "server cannot be found" in the browser. The xfinity hotspot near me is very strong and works well with the computers connected directly so I know range isn't an issue. I've tried everything suggested so far in this thread. For the mac address I used my iPad to pre-authenticate and then copied it's mac to the router into both lines. In the past i've successfully used the iPad's mac address in order to get my xbox onto the hotspot so I know that works. Now I'm wondering if I should try a different mac address... Also confused as to why some setups posted here require 2 routers? I have a Linksys WRT54G I could try instead of the D-Link if that's the issue. Would love some suggestions! Not planning on giving comcast my money again anytime soon if I can help it.

Got it working. Turned out being simpler than I was making it. Disabled firewall and did a site survey and joined the hotspot as a client. Since I don't have a dual-band router I won't be able to create a VAP but for now all I need are wired connections.
Davebruboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 23:54    Post subject: Password on Virtual Interface Reply with quote
I am able to get accomplish what cyberjew did with the registering the MAC with the ISP (Optimum) then cloning it in router. I am able to create a virtual network and connect to that SSID and have it connect to optimum and I can surf the internet. Once I go to the next step and put a password on the virtual SSID I cannot get any device to connect to the virtual SSID. Has anyone else had this issue?
JNewtonAV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:07    Post subject: Re: Password on Virtual Interface Reply with quote
Davebruboy wrote:
I am able to get accomplish what cyberjew did with the registering the MAC with the ISP (Optimum) then cloning it in router. I am able to create a virtual network and connect to that SSID and have it connect to optimum and I can surf the internet. Once I go to the next step and put a password on the virtual SSID I cannot get any device to connect to the virtual SSID. Has anyone else had this issue?

no.. but one workaround could be to make your ssid hidden if you aren't able to encrypt it successfully
Davebruboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 18:51    Post subject: Re: Password on Virtual Interface Reply with quote
JNewtonAV wrote:
Davebruboy wrote:

no.. but one workaround could be to make your ssid hidden if you aren't able to encrypt it successfully

I tried that too. But thanks for the thought.
JNewtonAV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set up has been working fairly well for over a month now. I'm starting to have connection issues on the xbox one lately (DNS cannot recognize xbox servers) and I'm not sure what's causing it but it's kicking me off xbox live about once and hour. I ordered high powered antennas and installed them and gained about 10% connection strength (now showing 45%).

I think I am going to move the router across the room by the window and use a long cat-5 to a tp-link 5 port switch to connect my devices. Hopefully this will be straightforward and I won't have dhcp issues with the tp-link switch.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: