Basic DD-WRT Install FAQ for WRT1900AC?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
zabolots
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 19:37    Post subject: Basic DD-WRT Install FAQ for WRT1900AC? Reply with quote
Is there a newbie-focused HOWTO for installing DD-WRT on a stock WRT1900AC (v1) and how to revert back to stock (if needed)?

Apparently there's some dual-boot functionality with this device and some care needs to be taken to ensure that it is not inadvertently overwritten.

Thanks...Scott
Sponsor
jsebean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 20:46    Post subject: Re: Basic DD-WRT Install FAQ for WRT1900AC? Reply with quote
Preamble
I'm new to it too but it's not hard to figure out. If you read the long thread it's not hard to figure out, read it backwards... I didn't have to go far to figure it out... but I'll write what I learned here the last couple days anyway, here's your newbie how to guide for all WRT1900AC units Cool

Installing DD-WRT
1. Visit the DD-WRT FTP to get the latest BS build, pick the year (2015), pick the current build (the latest is 12-01-2015-r28397) and find your current WRT1900AC (Just press Ctrl+F, type in wrt1900ac since there's a lot of routers in the list... it begins with linksys-) and pick the model you have (it currently shows the ac, acs and v2).
2. Download the factory-to-ddwrt.img
3. Login to the router stock firmware at 192.168.1.1 (or whatever address you have it configured as) and click connectivity on the side. There will be a way to upload firmware called "Manual". Choose the img file you downloaded and click start. You will get a few warnings... just say yes and let it upload. The router will reboot eventually and you'll need to navigate back to 192.168.1.1 (The screen will show waiting... but it will be waiting forever until you renavigate).

Congratulations. You just installed DD-WRT. You can now go from there and setup your user/password and configure your router.

I read somewhere to upgrade to a newer build you should return back to the stock firmware and upgrade from there rather than using the DD-WRT interface so you don't overwrite the partition stock is on. Doing so would make it harder to recover the unit in the event of misconfiguration or if a setting bricks the unit.

Booting back to stock from other patition
When you install DD-WRT over stock, it installs on a different partition. You can use the following command by entering it in DDWRT commands on the administration tab, Telnet or SSH to determine what partition DD-WRT is running on.
Code:
ubootenv get boot_part

The last number it returns is the partition (it will return 1 or 2). In my case, DD-WRT is on partition 1, so to return to Stock, enter (If yours returns 2, put 1):
Code:
ubootenv set boot_part 2

and then reboot. You can use the command
Code:
reboot

To reset and boot to stock if you brick DD-WRT installation
1. Assuming the router is on, turn it off.
2. Turn it back on... the power light will illuminate and then go out briefly as it prepares to boot. As soon as it goes out, turn it off again. Repeat this step three times, leaving the router on after the third time you turn it off.
3. Let it boot. It should return to stock after you let it boot.

Hope this is helpful now and for future reference. If there is anything confusing just reply and I can attempt to clarify. If anyone feels anything here is wrong or incorrect let me know and I'll edit it or moderators can update it. Very Happy

OEM Satellite internet -- I'll likely get back to DD-WRT again when I get better internet

Last edited by jsebean on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:55; edited 2 times in total
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
@jsebean
Nice helpful writeup. Should help lots of new folks. To bad this cannot get a sticky for reference.

--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
@jsebean Thanks, good stuff !
marksanctuary
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is great info, Thanks!

To make it easier to find these links and since this tread is not too long yet its a good place to note the two build links. BrainSlayer vs Kong discussions are all over the forum, both builds are useful depending on how you want to beta test.

BrainSlayer (BS) Builds - Main builds that support over 500 routers. The official release builds eventually are chosen from these builds. Kong's code is included in these builds.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas

Kong Builds - Experimental builds that cover just the routers Kong tests personally. May be more reliable beta builds only because they are vetted by physical testing.
http://desipro.de/ddwrt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The guide in this thread does not mention reseting before and after the firmware install.

Are you guys with the Marvell hardware doing factory resets to clear the nvram when going from factory to ddwrt?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
marksanctuary wrote:
The guide in this thread does not mention reseting before and after the firmware install.

Are you guys with the Marvell hardware doing factory resets to clear the nvram when going from factory to ddwrt?

From what I have read some do, some don't. I do, keep all my settings in a spreadsheet since I can't remember them all.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Brewder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
marksanctuary wrote:

From what I have read some do, some don't. I do, keep all my settings in a spreadsheet since I can't remember them all.

I've been looking for a good way to keep track of all of my settings. I started down the path of screen shots of each config page, but that got old.

Any interest in sharing your spreadsheet?

//Brew
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
marksanctuary wrote:

I'm doing a reset before upgrading.

Then I actually boot back to Linksys stock in partition 1 and re-flash. That way I keep Linksys stock in the 1st partition always.

I just remember my settings, it's not really that elaborate for me.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:

Then I actually boot back to Linksys stock in partition 1 and re-flash. That way I keep Linksys stock in the 1st partition always.

Sounds good. I think the stock to dd-wrt method using the .img file is the safer way to manage the dd-wrt updates. I have let the WRT1200AC just auto update the stock firmware so I am not sure if I am currently sitting in the 1st or the 2nd partition.

How do I know if the router is currently using the 1st partition?
Do I need to make sure that the latest stock firmware is in the 1st partition?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
marksanctuary wrote:
htismaqe wrote:

Sounds good. I think the stock to dd-wrt method using the .img file is the safer way to manage the dd-wrt updates. I have let the WRT1200AC just auto update the stock firmware so I am not sure if I am currently sitting in the 1st or the 2nd partition.

Boot into DD-WRT and telnet or SSH to the router.

Type:

ubootenv get boot_part

It should echo like 3 lines of stuff. The last line will be an integer - the number of the partition that is currently in use.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
marksanctuary wrote:
htismaqe wrote:

There's a secret status page in the linksys stock firmware web interface that will tell you which boot partition you're currently in:

192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi

where 192.168.1.1 should be replaced by your router's IP address.

Just bring that page up, and look for something like "nandboot part" or something like that near the top of the page, and that will tell you what boot partition the stock firmware you're currently in, 1 or 2.
marksanctuary
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found it with the http://192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi link, Thanks!

Looks like I am on currently in partition 2 with the linksys firmware.

Quote:
fw_printenv bootcmd: bootcmd=run nandboot

fw_printenv boot_part: boot_part=2

What I still am confused about is do I have to do the work to get the latest Linksys firmware to live in partition 1 and dd-wrt testing in partition 2?

And if so how do I move the latest linksys firmware to partition 1?

Does it work the same to have Linksys firmware "home base" to be in partition 2 and dd-wrt testing in partition 1?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. I had linksys in my partition 2 and dd-wrt in 1.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's really not a big deal to have them like that, or swapped the opposite, as long as you have one of each, IMO.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: