DD-WRT router with 802.11a Support Recomendations

Kajetan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 17:18    Post subject: DD-WRT router with 802.11a Support Recomendations Reply with quote
Hello I'm a Canadian contractor provides on site computer service to homes and businesses. One of the local ISPs offers what they call Internet Unplugged. It is a wireless 3MB service.

I want to turn my service vehicle into a wireless hot spot with a landing page that advertises my services. In addition, while with a client on site I want to be able to connect to my hot spot so that I can access the web (get drivers, Google for solutions, etc). In many places there are hardly any free channels available in the 2GH space. Luckily my laptop has 802.11a. Naturally I want a router that supports 802.11a (as well as g and b). Range is important, so I will probably want to use some sort of "external" antenna. By external I mean external to the trunk where the router and modem will be housed. I will probably mount the antenna to a window on the inside of the car. Modem requires AC power, so I will have an inverter to power the router too.

What would be a good router to get for this application? Of course I want to run DD-WRT firmware on it for the landing page. Ideally I'd like to order the router from a Canadian suppler (I'm trying to avoid duty/taxes handling charges with customs). If that is not possible I will get the router from the states or Europe.

All comments and suggestions greatly welcomed.

Thank you, and have a great day!
Sponsor
cgigate
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
802.11a is not good in range, not good as 802.11b/g.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: