TP-Link Archer C9 Brick Fix (Revert To Stock Possibly)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
chrispa6e
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Heinzek wrote:
ok
Run router normal.
Connect serial and putty
enter login and password ( root:sohoadmin )
type: reboot and press enter
press and hold CTRL+C

You sir, are a legend. Thank you very much.
Sponsor
ryanmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
after doing this im partially bricked its looping. all lights come on solid a couple second then it reboots. It will take the file from tftp server but just reboot after it doesnt seem to update. I hooked up 2 different usb to serial and an onboard native serial port and all produce gibberish ive checked ground pin, any help or ideas appreciated.
Ryan
Heinzek wrote:
Back to stock from DD-WRT - FullRevert
1. Login in to DD-WRT config page.
2. Go to Services - Secure Shell - SSHd > Enable
3. On Windows install WinSCP - https://winscp.net/eng/download.php
4. Connect to 192.168.1.1 using SCP protocol. Login root, password is the same for webinterface.
5. Download and extract archive: https://mega.nz/#!gRJQAZZC!MfnW31l-qP2Qkpy1wOrfiSi6R4Vasa9UDUiZ2rrOAmg
6. Copy file radio.bin and firmware.bin to /tmp/ directory on router.
7. Open Terminal ( CTRL + T) and Enter command: mtd write /tmp/radio.bin nvram_cfe
8. Click Execute and wait 3 sec and click close.
9. enter command: mtd -r write /tmp/firmware.bin linux
10. wait 80 sec. Dont worry about popup.

Router automaticly reboot and run with factory firmware.

Router MAC: 14 CC 20 D1 DC AA
WPA key/WPS pin: 79342513

Good Luck!!
Changing MAC and PIN its to hard for me.
Heinzek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
ryanmc wrote:
I hooked up 2 different usb to serial and an onboard native serial port and all produce gibberish ive checked ground pin

Du You use RS232-UART or USB-RS232-UART converter? Like CP2102?

Configure connection parameter to 115200 8n1?
Aboshi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are getting gibberish than you 100% have a bad connection, check to make sure none of your wires have a break in them.
ryanmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Heinzek wrote:
ryanmc wrote:
I hooked up 2 different usb to serial and an onboard native serial port and all produce gibberish ive checked ground pin

Du You use RS232-UART or USB-RS232-UART converter? Like CP2102?

Configure connection parameter to 115200 8n1?

thats how I have putty configured I also set the port like that in device manager which didnt seem to change anything, one of my usb to rs232 db9 is a prolific 2303, the other is a generic staples usb to rs232 db9 and a third rs232 onboard db9 comport on an old x86 desktop, all are hooked up rx to tx, tx to rx and ground to ground producing the same garbage. ive used these adapters on all sort of rs232 devices from what I read I thought these should work but now im not sure? should these work or did I mis something?
Heinzek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
On Archer C9 board is RS232 TTL port. You must use RS232 to TTL converter or USB to UART TTL converter.
ryanmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
ordered one thanks
ryanmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have my new ttl adapter and now my putty screen is blank but I can now use CTRL+C when powering it on and even though I cant see anything i type reboot and it seems to. I can ping 192.168.0.1 and I get a TTL=100. Im not exactly sure what to do from here.Use CFE-FIX from aboshi?

ryanmc wrote:
after doing this im partially bricked its looping. all lights come on solid a couple second then it reboots. It will take the file from tftp server but just reboot after it doesnt seem to update. I hooked up 2 different usb to serial and an onboard native serial port and all produce gibberish ive checked ground pin, any help or ideas appreciated.
Ryan
Heinzek wrote:
4. Connect to 192.168.1.1 using SCP protocol. Login root, password is the same for webinterface.
5. Download and extract archive: https://mega.nz/#!gRJQAZZC!MfnW31l-qP2Qkpy1wOrfiSi6R4Vasa9UDUiZ2rrOAmg
7. Open Terminal ( CTRL + T) and Enter command: mtd write /tmp/radio.bin nvram_cfe

Good Luck!!
ryanmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using aboshi CFE-FIX im now fixed and back to stock but now remembering why I wanted wrt.Thanks Aboshi and Heinzek

ryanmc wrote:
I have my new ttl adapter and now my putty screen is blank but I can now use CTRL+C when powering it on and even though I cant see anything i type reboot and it seems to. I can ping 192.168.0.1 and I get a TTL=100. Im not exactly sure what to do from here.Use CFE-FIX from aboshi?

ryanmc wrote:
Ryan
Heinzek wrote:

Good Luck!!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm trying to recovery mine. My putty output says
Digital core power voltage set to 1.0V
Decompressing...error 1

That's it. I can't get any further.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:24    Post subject: Gibberish in serial Reply with quote
Hi

I recently bought a (used) Archer C9 and unfortunately it is bricked. It flashes all of the lights on the board blue at the same time for a few seconds, then off and back on again. Pinging the different documented addresses doesn't return anything and it doesn't request a file from my tftp server.

I've opened the case and connected to the serial port, connecting at 115200 8N1, but I get this gibberish:

!=''!9=5eYm5#
F;c!Y55575#7!-#9!%=#-!#3!!#3-1-#5=95='5-#15-#1%-#-%%='5+/9-A=77A5#7!-#9=''573!!/
;+/9-A9/59)A;=#7-7/9=''573!!/;UY{/;3!#7;!755957!##9)5-!#;9)5%=K]=;'5yc53-'5!W5=%
w=-7Ye-''5=5%7/=9!%/=%#=#7c}cws'=/y!#''555-!

I am using the Trendnet TU-S9 Serial-to-USB converter (https://trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=150_TU-S9)

I read in previous threads something along the lines of needing a RS232 TTL converter and I want to confirm that the converter I have isn't correct as well as try to understand if there is software method of fixing it vs. a hardware method

From reading articles about RS232 vs. TTL it doesn't seem there is, but then again I'm not sure based on reading you can have something that is using "RS232 TTL" like is said about the Archer C9

Thanks!
berner132
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 19:54    Post subject: Re: Gibberish in serial Reply with quote
cerberus wrote:
Hi

I recently bought a (used) Archer C9 and unfortunately it is bricked. It flashes all of the lights on the board blue at the same time for a few seconds, then off and back on again. Pinging the different documented addresses doesn't return anything and it doesn't request a file from my tftp server.

I've opened the case and connected to the serial port, connecting at 115200 8N1, but I get this gibberish:

!=''!9=5eYm5#
F;c!Y55575#7!-#9!%=#-!#3!!#3-1-#5=95='5-#15-#1%-#-%%='5+/9-A=77A5#7!-#9=''573!!/
;+/9-A9/59)A;=#7-7/9=''573!!/;UY{/;3!#7;!755957!##9)5-!#;9)5%=K]=;'5yc53-'5!W5=%
w=-7Ye-''5=5%7/=9!%/=%#=#7c}cws'=/y!#''555-!

I am using the Trendnet TU-S9 Serial-to-USB converter (https://trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=150_TU-S9)

I read in previous threads something along the lines of needing a RS232 TTL converter and I want to confirm that the converter I have isn't correct as well as try to understand if there is software method of fixing it vs. a hardware method

From reading articles about RS232 vs. TTL it doesn't seem there is, but then again I'm not sure based on reading you can have something that is using "RS232 TTL" like is said about the Archer C9

Thanks!

Hello, I have the same problem. Cause is the installation of the latest Firmware Beta. I tried using a LOGILINK USB to Serial Adapter to work. Unfortunately I get only unreadable characters. UTF8 character set. Thank you for your support.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need one like this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA86V2Z33892&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Gadgets-_-9SIA86V2Z33892&gclid=COHrq5zdvcgCFQGqaQodMysAmA&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are on eBay also.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
You need one like this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA86V2Z33892&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Gadgets-_-9SIA86V2Z33892&gclid=COHrq5zdvcgCFQGqaQodMysAmA&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are on eBay also.

Many Thanks
T-bone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:54    Post subject: Re: Step-by-step guide Reply with quote
reroute wrote:
Unbrick and back to stock

Thank you @Aboshi and @Heinzek!

I was able to unbrick my Archer C9, go back to stock and re-flash the latest DD-WRT build which is working fine for me.

I attached a step-by-step guide which should save others in a similar situation some troubles.

Only back to stock

EDIT: Only use the method above (and the files attached) if your C9 is really bricked and you have tried everything else (including TFTP). If you are not bricked and just want to go back to stock, @moacir_79 reported success using @Heinzek's guide (Source). EDIT2: But your mileage may vary as e.g. @Aboshi bricked his C9 which required him to unbrick with the method above.
Heinzek wrote:
Hi. This is not webrevert file.
This firmware works on recovery mode and system update on factory firmware.

If You have DD-Wrt use this file only on recovery mode.

1. Download firmware from tplink-forum.pl site Source
2. Unzip firmware.
3. Rename firmware from oldorgArcherC9v1_tp_recovery.bin to ArcherC9v1_tp_recovery.bin
4. Run TFTP server and share ArcherC9v1_tp_recovery.bin on root directory. How to configure TFTPD server
5. Change TFTP Server IP to 192.168.0.66 on wired interface.
6. Connect TFTP server to LAN port on Archer C9.
7. Press and hold Reset/WPS button on router.
8. Power on router.
9. after 5 sec. release button.
10. wait 120 sec.

worked great. just unbricked my C9 after a dd-wrt webflash update went wrong (10-09-2015-r27944 - some other ppl reported problems with this version? - be careful?).. I now use the router with latest stock FW and works even better Smile ... I have a second 1043ND router in dual router setup which takes care of the openVPN connection using dd-wrt so all is good Smile

also the USB3 on the C9 provides a decent 30MB/s read/write which works pretty well with stock FW for LAN sharing.

thank you for all the info and help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 20, 21, 22  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 22
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: