TRENDnet TEW-811DRU [experiences so far]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
KnightCrusader
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I am not sure about the generic. That is what I am trying to figure out. I have a few of these routers but I am not in a hurry to brick any of them to find out, even if I only paid $20 each for them.

It seems they get a bad rap for overheating and having a weak signal, but so far for me I haven't had a problem.

Also... I found the newest build for this router is 27734 (which was built last night, apparently).
Sponsor
derekc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bet that r27734 is still just a mini.
KnightCrusader
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
derekc wrote:
I bet that r27734 is still just a mini.

I bet it is too, but its slightly smaller than the older bills. I'll give it a try tonight if I have a moment.
yaconsult
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you guys bothering to back up your configs before upgrading? If so, are you using one of the posted scripts to do so?

If you have upgraded, what differences have you noticed with the August release?

Some people seemed to be having issues: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=285338
SleepyBum
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Accidentally semi-bricked my router while flashing the newest firmware. Forgot to restart my browser before flashing. It has some memory leak issues and was freezing during flashing upload. 30/30/30 resets didn't help. The router was in some kind of reset/boot loop every 10 seconds dropping link and wouldn't respond to pings.

Luckily found RTChaser07 post in this thread. The routers are fairly similar, so looked up the data sheets.

Here's some pics of the router's internals on how to disassemble the router. I also noticed the serial headers but was too lazy to solder some pins in.

Serial Header Pinout
Code:

(RxD) (TxD) (GND) [3.3v]
                                J6
      bottom/feet

Heatsink size
40mm x 40mm
~27mm screw spacing between
~25mm height between PCB and router cover

The plastic tabs to get the case open are a pain. Once it's open just unscrew the 4 corner screws and unplug the antenna leads. Gently pry the board up and kind of push the back panel where the ethernet ports are away from the PCB.

TRENDnet TEW-811DRU disassembly03.jpg
 Description:
PCB top. Serial Header Pinouts.
 Filesize:  143.91 KB
 Viewed:  27367 Time(s)

TRENDnet TEW-811DRU disassembly03.jpg

TRENDnet TEW-811DRU disassembly02.jpg
 Description:
Router inside. Tiny antennas. Heatsink.
 Filesize:  127.21 KB

TRENDnet TEW-811DRU disassembly02.jpg

TRENDnet TEW-811DRU disassembly01.jpg
 Description:
Bottom of router. 2 screws under the feet. Plastic locking tabs.
 Filesize:  78.72 KB

TRENDnet TEW-811DRU disassembly01.jpg

SleepyBum
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
The serial flash chip is a Macronix MX25L6406E. I have experience pin shorting recovery with my Netgear WNR3500v2 which uses a similar Macronix chip. The pins that needs to be shorted are:

5 SI/SIO0
6 SCLK

The hassle is the serial chip is on the backside of the PCB, so it needs to be completely disassembled and removed from the case to be shorted. After shorting, the router responds to ping at 192.168.10.1 and there's also a TRENDnet Emergency miniWeb Server at http://192.168.10.1/. Use that web page to upload the original Trendnet firmware. tftp might be possible. Didn't test.

TRENDnet TEW-811DRU disassembly04.jpg
 Description:
PCB bottom. Serial Flash chip.
 Filesize:  126.48 KB
 Viewed:  27365 Time(s)

TRENDnet TEW-811DRU disassembly04.jpg

TRENDnet Emergency miniWeb Server.png
 Description:
TRENDnet Emergency miniWeb Server
 Filesize:  11.83 KB
 Viewed:  27364 Time(s)

TRENDnet Emergency miniWeb Server.png

Chanchu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am new here and new to the DD-WRT.

Recently bought TRENDnet TEW-811DRU AC1200I, installed dd-wrt, firmware: DD-WRT V3.0-R27506 (7/9/15) on this router.

everything went ok, installed and running, when I try to get into the wifi settings a message comes up

A username and password are being requested by http://192.168.1.1. The site says: "DD-WRT"

tried combinations, admin/root/password, tried the 30/30/30 reset a few times but nothing is working for me to get into settings, right now its open unsecure wifi connection, it goes to connect to internet though.

also tried the router default user/pass nothing works.

somebody please help, thanks, also I donot see any 5 ghz signal either, thanks in advance.
yaconsult
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
What's the default username and password?

Starting with v23 SP1, the default username is root and the default password is admin. You can use http, telnet or ssh (if enabled) to log in. If this doesn't work, you didn't follow proper installation or upgrade procedure...both of which should include doing a hard reset before and after flash!

Keep in mind, versions post-v24 SP1 now require you to change the password on first boot.
Chanchu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
yaconsult wrote:
Quote:
What's the default username and password?

Starting with v23 SP1, the default username is root and the default password is admin. You can use http, telnet or ssh (if enabled) to log in. If this doesn't work, you didn't follow proper installation or upgrade procedure...both of which should include doing a hard reset before and after flash!

Keep in mind, versions post-v24 SP1 now require you to change the password on first boot.

THANKS for your replay, had to do the 30/30/30 reset a few times make it work. Also u r right u have to change the password on first boot, and I was missing that part, thanks.
Inspector Gadget
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 22:10    Post subject: DD-WRT v3.0-r27506 (07/09/15) mini Reply with quote
So far I have installed two different DD-WRT firmwarew without bricking my router.

I have DD-WRT v3.0-r27506 (07/09/15) mini installed on the Trendnet TEW-811DRU

My 5ghz band is not broadcasting. The SSID is checked for broadcasting. Anybody have that anomaly?
MariosK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:23    Post subject: Thoughts on the firmware I've flashed Reply with quote
I bought my router earlier this week and straight away decided to flash it with DD-WRT. So here are the router's and firware's details.

TEW-811DRU/A (H/W:V1.0R)
Firmware build 23598 (19/02/2014)

It is working reasonably well after 30/30/30'ing once before flashing and twice after flashing. It does have a few hiccups sometimes
and there are a few things that are not working consistently like remotely accessing the router's web UI over HTTPS. Enabling logging
on the router also seems to make the router much slower to respond / handle data packets. Occasionally, it decides to ignore my requests and
"snap out of it" after 3-5 seconds.

All in all, I am fairly happy with it but I am on the lookout for other more recent and tried / tested builds (not mini ones preferably)
as this model has 8MB reserved for firmware. My build is from Q1 2014, I only flashed it because it was the only one I could find relatively
good remarks about and not any major complaints. But if you've tried a recent one that's decent and fairly stable, please give me a shout!
yaconsult
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I should mention that I'm not a huge wifi user - basically just the Moto G LTE and the amazon firestick. All my computers are connected to the router via ethernet.

I have noticed on a number of occasions that the phone will not connect to the wifi. This phone has 2.4 GHz wifi only. It sees the router, says "authenticating" and then turns off wifi. So, apparently, logging into the router wirelessly is failing. Then it waits a short amount of time and tries again with the same result. I have watched it do this for 15 minutes before I got bored. Then, if I reboot the router, the phone instantly connects.

The dd-wrt version is Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r27506 (07/09/15) mini but I'm planning to upgrade to the latest. Has anyone else noticed this problem? If so, have the updates addressed it at all? I don't know how long it takes before the phone is not able to connect again.

If this problem continues after the update, I will probably set it up to automatically reboot in the middle of the night every night.
Twingo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you very much sleepybum, your pictures helped a lot of recoverying a TEW811, the unit has a password on DDWRT 27745 which has the broken reset button, had to open the router, and short the two pins shown on your picture, and able to use the short window of booting by using tftp tool to upload the dd-wrt on trendnet support page, it's a build of 2013/12/23, it's about 5 seconds of ping from 192.168.10.1 and after that the router will continue boot into 27745 somehow, I couldn't access the webserver for recovery mode but tftp2.exe was able to push the firmware through, then wait for about two minutes and viola Laughing
Inspector Gadget
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not a networking expert by any means. I had to go back from Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r27506 (07/09/15) which was causing constant and endless drops of my wifi on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands on multiple laptops with different wifi cards.

I am running Firmware: DD-WRT v2.4sp2 (12/23/13) version 23201. This is the version from the Trendnet downloads page. So far no wifi drops.

I would pull out my hair trying to figure out why my wifi was dropping but after reading multiple threads just on this forum with the terms bricked another router and my router didn't like that version of DD-WRT. I figured why bother trouble shooting or asking questions.

If anybody with a TEW-811DRU has any links to good (full versions) of DD-WRT, please post the version.

I am looking for a full DD-WRT version and not a mini.

Version V24 PreSp2 beta version mini 23804 worked ok but I didn't have it on my router for more than a day or two.

I did the 30-30-30 hard reset rituals on both installing the firmware and clearing out the memory before flashing the new version on Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r27506 (07/09/15) but nothing fixed the dropped connection problem.
Twingo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
a lot of parameters were changed for dd-wrt after 26138 build, pre 26138 builds are different than after so that might be the reason for your observation on the 27506, I don't use wifi on either 2.4G or 5G, I have dedicated Netgear EX7000 for that purpose so I don't have any problems, but my experience from opening up the TEW811DRU is the whole thing is really cheap built, the antenna is 1 inch and 3 inch, and the layout of the board is miserable compared to other brands; getting another brand probably is better option.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: