TRENDnet TEW-811DRU [experiences so far]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
yaconsult
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the detailed review, SleepyBum.

I can't complain because I only paid $11 after AMEX credit but since my Belkin Max 600 burned itself out in less than a year due to overheating, I was hoping I could avoid that with this one.

Even after applying the arctic silver 5, I am seeing this for temps:
CPU Temperature: CPU 85.8 °C / WL0 52.57 °C / WL1 56.00 °C
I also have the top cover currently offset so the case is thermally open and the heat is not building up inside.

So it's looking like a fan is probably going to be the only way to reduce the heat. It's a custom heatsink with custom mounting so not easily replaced except with another stick-on.

On the other hand, I'm not willing to spend much money on a router I only paid $11 for! Maybe I'll check dx.com and see if they have something cheap.
Sponsor
greg_t
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 17:18    Post subject: Re: Great 5Ghz Speed, SLOW 2.4Ghz speed Reply with quote
greg_t wrote:
So I got 2 of these, and immediately put DD-WRT on both. Now one of them is an AP (2 SSIDs for 2.4Ghz (one virtual), 1 SSID for 5Ghz), the other is a wireless client over 5Ghz radio. The 5Ghz band works great, I get all 30Mbps down that I get form comcast. Recently however, the 2.4Ghz radio is very flakey - slowed down to 1-2Mbps (before it was about 16Mbps). Today, I upgraded the firmware to today's version, to no effect. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My last resort would be to connect a dedicated 2.4Ghz router to the AP over wire to provide 2.4Ghz network.

-gt

Update: the problem goes away if I restart the router, but comes back 24-36 hours later.
greg_t
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 19:28    Post subject: Re: Great 5Ghz Speed, SLOW 2.4Ghz speed Reply with quote
greg_t wrote:
greg_t wrote:
So I got 2 of these, and immediately put DD-WRT on both. Now one of them is an AP (2 SSIDs for 2.4Ghz (one virtual), 1 SSID for 5Ghz), the other is a wireless client over 5Ghz radio. The 5Ghz band works great, I get all 30Mbps down that I get form comcast. Recently however, the 2.4Ghz radio is very flakey - slowed down to 1-2Mbps (before it was about 16Mbps). Today, I upgraded the firmware to today's version, to no effect. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My last resort would be to connect a dedicated 2.4Ghz router to the AP over wire to provide 2.4Ghz network.

-gt

Update: the problem goes away if I restart the router, but comes back 24-36 hours later.

Flashed stock firmware to the router... So far, better wireless on 2.4ghz than DD-WRT, let's see where it is after 24hrs.
derekc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:19    Post subject: USB printer sharing working? Reply with quote
Downloaded and installed the latest R27700 today from ftp.dd-wrt.com. The USB printer sharing stopped working. I had the old 23804 (from the router-database page and the sharing was working. I tried googling around. Some said I have to enable JFFS2 but there is no such option. Old 23084 build worked but new 27700 doesn't. Anyone has a clue what I have done wrong? Or which "newest" version has the USB printer sharing working?
greg_t
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 14:08    Post subject: Re: Great 5Ghz Speed, SLOW 2.4Ghz speed Reply with quote
greg_t wrote:
greg_t wrote:
greg_t wrote:

-gt

Flashed stock firmware to the router... So far, better wireless on 2.4ghz than DD-WRT, let's see where it is after 24hrs.

Stock firmware is working much better - no decrease in speed. Please look into this issue
derekc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
USB printer sharing also does not work at all.
derekc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
derekc wrote:
USB printer sharing also does not work at all.

Now I see the latest is a mini edition. What is the newest "standard" version or version that supports USB printer sharing?
KnightCrusader
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
yaconsult wrote:
Yes, it's the latest but I don't understand why there is only one build for this router. It has enough memory and flash to support all or most of the builds.

Urgh, I was just pulling my hair out about this very thing. I bought a few of these to replace my aging WL-500g Premium V2 units thinking I could run Mega on them because I need OpenVPN support to bridge all my sites together.

Is there a reason we can't use the standard broadcom builds on this device? If these were the ASUS ones that had recovery I'd give it a try for grins, but I am not in a hurry to brick them.

Who do we have to bug to get the other builds for this model?
derekc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
KnightCrusader wrote:
yaconsult wrote:
Yes, it's the latest but I don't understand why there is only one build for this router. It has enough memory and flash to support all or most of the builds.

Urgh, I was just pulling my hair out about this very thing. I bought a few of these to replace my aging WL-500g Premium V2 units thinking I could run Mega on them because I need OpenVPN support to bridge all my sites together.

Is there a reason we can't use the standard broadcom builds on this device? If these were the ASUS ones that had recovery I'd give it a try for grins, but I am not in a hurry to brick them.

Who do we have to bug to get the other builds for this model?

I spent a few hrs flashing and reflashing. The last STD edition is 06.23.2014. build 24461.
I could not flash the next two versions 10.27.2014 and 10.29.2014. It gave me error. If you could flash them and if they are STD edition, please update me. Thank you.

Really hope someone can make the latest STD version.
KnightCrusader
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
derekc wrote:

I spent a few hrs flashing and reflashing. The last STD edition is 06.23.2014. build 24461.
I could not flash the next two versions 10.27.2014 and 10.29.2014. It gave me error. If you could flash them and if they are STD edition, please update me. Thank you.

Really hope someone can make the latest STD version.

Did what you flash boot up on this unit? I'd be happy with an older build of mega if I could get OpenVPN on it, it doesn't have to be brand new.
derekc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
flash boot up? What do you mean?

2015-08-24 08_58_14-TVROOM (build 24461) - Router Status.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.54 KB
 Viewed:  16656 Time(s)

2015-08-24 08_58_14-TVROOM (build 24461) - Router Status.jpg

2015-08-24 08_58_00-TVROOM (build 24461) - Router Status.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.75 KB
 Viewed:  16656 Time(s)

2015-08-24 08_58_00-TVROOM (build 24461) - Router Status.jpg

KnightCrusader
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
derekc wrote:
flash boot up? What do you mean?

I meant... did the image you flash to the unit actually boot up? I guess the answer is yes since you posted a screen shot. Sorry I wrote my question kind of weird.

Does the standard image have OpenVPN? I'm going to have to try this when I get home tonight.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the chart and see I have to get an OpenVPN build or Mega to work. I guess I can try it anyway.

Last edited by KnightCrusader on Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:49; edited 1 time in total
derekc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to say DD-WRT is getting messier. But it is free and I can't complaint.
KnightCrusader
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wait, I got ahead of myself... did you use the TEW811DRU specific build? Or a generic broadcom standard build?

I just realized the specific build says standard as well.
derekc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
This one I used:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/06-23-2014-r24461/trendnet-811DRU/

Really, you can use generic broadcom build? That makes it even more confusing. Oh man. I don't want to spend another half day on this.

TEW811DRU is the cheapest AC router with broadcom chipset that has dd-wrt support. For under $50, what can beat it. Too bad it is not getting popular for some reason.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: