TP-Link Archer C9 Brick Fix (Revert To Stock Possibly)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
reroute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just ordered a USB UART adapter.

Thanks for pointing me to the option of using a jumper cable. I thought soldering would be the only option.

Pictures of your setup would be very helpful!

I guess the instructions you posted previously will help me recover the C9. Will I end up with the original TP-Link firmware or DD-WRT? My goal is still to have a working DD-WRT setup.

Aboshi wrote:
Here is a link to the files @Heinzek was kind enough to post, I have also put in a mini tutorial to help you along so you dont have to read through the entire thread.

Working Links:
http://www.mirrorupload.net/file/1YUCXYGZ/#!CFE-FIX.zip
Sponsor
reroute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Aboshi: Can you please confirm the pin assignment on the board? (See attached)

I opened the case and compared with the instructions here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c9

Did you connect the pins the following way, leaving the 3V3?:
Tx → Rx
Rx → Tx
Gnd → Gnd

TP-Link Archer C9 serial ports.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.4 KB
 Viewed:  35428 Time(s)

TP-Link Archer C9 serial ports.jpg

Heinzek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
@reroute yes tx-rx rx-tx. Do NOT connect 3v3.
reroute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:02    Post subject: Step-by-step guide Reply with quote
Unbrick and back to stock

Thank you @Aboshi and @Heinzek!

I was able to unbrick my Archer C9, go back to stock and re-flash the latest DD-WRT build which is working fine for me.

I attached a step-by-step guide which should save others in a similar situation some troubles.

EDIT3: In the meantime, somebody made a great detailed video of all the steps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fme7kwTkttk

Only back to stock

EDIT: Only use the method above (and the files attached) if your C9 is really bricked and you have tried everything else (including TFTP). If you are not bricked and just want to go back to stock, @moacir_79 reported success using @Heinzek's guide (Source).
EDIT2: But your mileage may vary as e.g. @Aboshi bricked his C9 which required him to unbrick with the method above.
EDIT3: As above, a video of the tftp steps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8RyW82Z2M
Heinzek wrote:
Hi. This is not webrevert file.
This firmware works on recovery mode and system update on factory firmware.

If You have DD-Wrt use this file only on recovery mode.

1. Download firmware from tplink-forum.pl site Source
2. Unzip firmware.
3. Rename firmware from oldorgArcherC9v1_tp_recovery.bin to ArcherC9v1_tp_recovery.bin
4. Run TFTP server and share ArcherC9v1_tp_recovery.bin on root directory. How to configure TFTPD server
5. Change TFTP Server IP to 192.168.0.66 on wired interface.
6. Connect TFTP server to LAN port on Archer C9.
7. Press and hold Reset/WPS button on router.
8. Power on router.
9. after 5 sec. release button.
10. wait 120 sec.

TP-Link Archer C9 v1 - Unbrick and back to stock step-by-step guide.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TP-Link Archer C9 v1 - Unbrick and back to stock step-by-step guide.pdf
 Filesize:  269.05 KB
 Downloaded:  27358 Time(s)

Stock firmware.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Stock firmware.zip
 Filesize:  10.09 MB
 Downloaded:  6754 Time(s)

Last edited by reroute on Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:34; edited 5 times in total
moacir_79
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 0:59    Post subject: And TFTP? Reply with quote
Hi! A doubt: can i use the "12.bin" file attached above to try revert to stock by TFTP recovery (no serial)? My C9 is NOT bricked.

Thanks!
moacir_79
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:53    Post subject: Success!!! Reply with quote
Heinzek wrote:
Hi. This is not webrevert file.
This firmware works on recovery mode and system update on factory firmware.

If You have DD-Wrt use this file only on recovery mode.

1. Download firmware from tplink-forum.pl site.
2. Unzip firmware.
3. Rename firmware from oldorgArcherC9v1_tp_recovery.bin to ArcherC9v1_tp_recovery.bin
4. Run TFTP server and share ArcherC9v1_tp_recovery.bin on root directory. How to configure TFTPD server
5. Change TFTP Server IP to 192.168.0.66 on wired interface.
6. Connect TFTP server to LAN port on Archer C9.
7. Press and hold Reset/WPS button on router.
8. Power on router.
9. after 5 sec. release button.
10. wait 120 sec.

Forget my previous post! With these steps could revert my Archer C9 to stock!!!

Really THANKS!!!
Aboshi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
@reroute

Sorry I was away for a few days and I wasn't getting pings about replies to the thread. As for the TFTP method I would be careful because thats what got me in to trouble when I was first trying to revert (I didn't have access to 12.bin and mtd3.bin yet). After reverting back to stock I notice no difference in issues I was having with dd-wrt. My connection (5Ghz) still randomly drops, and I am still having port forward issues. So in my case my router just might be having issues in general.
I never got around to testing ftp or usb while on dd-wrt but that is covered in another thread. I might install dd-wrt again in the next day or so and do more tests because I now have a permanent solution to go back to stock if needed. I have updated to the latest tp-link fw to date so I might make a full dump of the stock fw just in case. I will post when I have more news, but at least for now people have a solution to revert to stock.
Aboshi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like I am going to have to try to install dd-wrt again by tftp or over uart.
Web flashing is now generating errors.

factory to ddwrt = Error code: -5533
Error occurred, please try again.

webflash to ddwrt = error code: 18001
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the length of the upgraded file is incorrect. Please check the file name.

I will report back after more tests.
reroute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Aboshi: The issue could occur if you are on the latest version of the official firmware. Reverting to the oldest official version did the trick for me before I was able to successfully do a first flash of dd-wrt: Try Archer C9_V1_150122 from here.

Also, if you don't want to take any risk, flash r27506 factory-to-ddwrt first which worked for me.
Aboshi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
@reroute

Thanks that worked, I first wound up trying to flash ddwrt from cfe but it bricked for some reason. So I flashed 12.bin again and that had put an old version of the official fw back on the router. After that i was able to web flash with factory to ddwrt. I also updated to the latest ddwrt 8-11-15 and it seems good so far. I will test this build today and see if there are any improvements with the issues I was having.

Last edited by Aboshi on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:50; edited 2 times in total
vducv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:02    Post subject: Thank you guys! I have Succeed with TTL method. Reply with quote
Just follow the steps. Connect ttl, Lan eathernet set to 192.168.1.66. flash 12.bin , flash mtd3.bin, go.
XDXD
chrispa6e
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have followed steps in "TP-Link Archer C9 v1 - Unbrick and back to stock step-by-step guide.pdf" but there is no "flash" command in the Built-in commands
only has . : break cd continue eval exec exit export help login newgrp read readonly set shift times trap umask quit

Also, using PuTTy I am unable to get CFE prompt, I am forced to log in using user:root and password:sohoadmin before I can execute any commands?

I used TFTP method to convert both my routers back to stock, one worked and one one has issues. On the surface it appears to be running stock firmware only it has retained some of the issues I was experiencing with dd-wrt, also it has some how screwed up the hardware version info and so is unable to flash new firmware using web interface, hence the use of UART but I can't execute required commands to flash 12.bin.

Any ideas?
Heinzek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try get to CFE.
Run putty and setup connection
Press and hold CTRL + C and power on router.

Wait 10 sec.
chrispa6e
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Heinzek wrote:
Try get to CFE.
Run putty and setup connection
Press and hold CTRL + C and power on router.

Wait 10 sec.

If I power on router with UART plugged in it doesn't turn on, it immediately has one orange and one blue light and doesn't cycle correctly and PuTTy becomes unresponsive.
Heinzek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok
Run router normal.
Connect serial and putty
enter login and password ( root:sohoadmin )
type: reboot and press enter
press and hold CTRL+C
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 22
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: