HELP! DD-WRT messed up my USB Drive Partition

hachiroku
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:25    Post subject: HELP! DD-WRT messed up my USB Drive Partition Reply with quote
I plugged my 500GB USB drive into my TP-LINK Archer C9 running r27435 and now the drive is UNREADABLE seconds after had plugged into my laptop prior.

My 32 GB USB flash drive works fine and has had zero issues.

Now my 500GB drive is unreadable and my OS is asking me to repartition the drive.

HELP Please! I have LOTS of family photos on this drive.

Last edited by hachiroku on Mon Aug 10, 2015 14:37; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
smschmidt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
use a search engine do a search data recovery software. Do not format the drive and use Linux too access your files and copy to an new location cd or dvd cdrom or another hard drive.
hachiroku
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sadly I think the drive is now dead! Crying or Very sad

tried DiskDrill on my OSX and it said it would take 8 hours to scan the disk for files.

OSX also can no longer format the drive as it said cannot write to last block of drive.

the drive was working perfectly seconds before i plugged it into the router's usb port.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
How was the drive formatted? Ddwrt is linux so some versions can't read some file systems. But it normally does not do anything to the file as it can't access them.

You would be MUCH better to post in the proper forum as explained in the first post in this forum.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
hachiroku
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
gonna just chaulk this up as drive failure not caused by DD-WRT. Have the feeling that the router zapped the logic board or the logic board just failed due to luck.

drive was either FAT32 or NTFS. Drive is a 500GB, but lists as 2.2TB on my MacBook Air. Windows doesn't even read it beyond device manager.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
sounds like the controller card on the hard drive malfunctioned or shorted out. I;ve had those symptoms from a perfectly working drive being dropped on the floor. a real "d'oh" moment....
Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
hachiroku
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the help guys...

this along with issues of drives mounting and unmounting upon plugging in really caused me to panic.

for my router the "Use SES Button to Remove Drives" was causing my drives to instantly unmount upon mount. added this info to the appropropriate sub forum for Broadcom chipsets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: