VLAN configuration/detecting dead WAN port

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Grazfather
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 21:06    Post subject: VLAN configuration/detecting dead WAN port Reply with quote
So my router's been fucked lately. I think the WAN port is dead. If I connect the modem cable into the LAN ports I can get to the internet from my laptop, but not my desktop (even if I switch which of the lan ports they are connected on). Both are set up with DHCP and I have tried auto assigning IP.

If I assign a specific IP I can get to the router, but the router doesn't see the WAN.

Anyway, I am wondering if there is a good primer on how this VLAN stuff works. I would like to reconfigure the ports to use a LAN port as a WAN port.

* How do I definitively determine if a port is dead?
* How do I find out which vlans are bridges, etc (I can telnet to the router from wireless)
* Why can I get to the internet when plugging the WAN cable to LAN from another LAN port? Note that this connection doesn't see the router, so it looks like it's just bridging the two.

FWIW, it's a tp-link tl1043nd (Atheros)

Thanks
Sponsor
Grazfather
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I actually tried that without luck. I don't know how the vlan numbers map to the numbers on the box. On top of that, ifconfig lists vlan1 and vlan2, while the nvram show has vlan0 and vlan1.
Grazfather
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
So look: I tried plugged the WAN cable into port 1 and then tried every combination of assigning one ports in vlan1:

http://pastebin.com/jJD1Vatx

Here is the filtered list of what I tried:
(each one with an nvram commit and a reboot after, plus a dhcp release and renew in the web client).
Code:

root@DD-WRT:~# nvram set vlan0ports="2 3 4"; nvram set vlan1ports="1 0 5 5*"
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram set vlan0ports="1 2 3"; nvram set vlan1ports="4 0 5 5*"
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram set vlan0ports="1 3 4"; nvram set vlan1ports="2 0 5 5*"
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram set vlan0ports="1 2 4"; nvram set vlan1ports="3 0 5 5*"

Note that when I had tried this a few days ago I _could_ get my laptop to request an IP from the ISP directly, but what I need is for the ROUTER to get an IP from the ISP so it can share this connection with the WLAN clients.
ploquets
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Grazfather wrote:
So look: I tried plugged the WAN cable into port 1 and then tried every combination of assigning one ports in vlan1:

(each one with an nvram commit and a reboot after, plus a dhcp release and renew in the web client).
Code:

Note that when I had tried this a few days ago I _could_ get my laptop to request an IP from the ISP directly, but what I need is for the ROUTER to get an IP from the ISP so it can share this connection with the WLAN clients.

Have you figured out how to do it?
I'm with similar problem with TL-WDR3500 with latest build
Grazfather
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ploquets wrote:
Grazfather wrote:

Code:

Have you figured out how to do it?
I'm with similar problem with TL-WDR3500 with latest build

Nope. I ended up giving up, buying a new router, and using that router as a managed switch.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Atheros hardware doesn't support vlan port switching with dd-wrt. AFAIK - atheros with dd-wrt only supports vlan tagging, it should have noted that in the wiki page introduction.

Broadcom based units - mips in particular, not sure about arm based broadcom - support all vlan features listed in the wiki, including port assignment.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: