DD-WRT vs Merlin on [CELLSPOT]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:04    Post subject: DD-WRT vs Merlin on [CELLSPOT] Reply with quote
This morning I was able to install Merlin Firmware:376.47 and CFE 1.1.2.0 on a T-Mobile Cellspot. The steps are documented in the new wiki entry.

Included in the download of tools and files for the cellspot is firmware from Tomato and Merlin. I was wondering if there is a particular advantage of dd-wrt over these brands or if anyone can confirm that dd-wrt has any shortcomings on this hardware or is working as-expected. As I understand it, the recommended version is:

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin

I am looking forward to hearing from others who have successfully converted their cellspots to an AC68U and any insights.

Sponsor
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
For me, DD-WRT.

Merlin/ASUS firmware if you want faster WAN throughput over IPv4 (contains CTF. This router tops out at around ~350mbps without nat acceleration). For IPv6 throughput is a non-issue with no nat.

DD-WRT if you want superior QoS for preventing bufferbloat and a whole host of extra features like OpenVPN and client bridge.

Although I use BS builds, Kongs contain ddup (telnet firmware updater) and transmission as the main difference. Any build past 25975 is recommended as they have newer broadcom drivers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
@MDA400: Thank you for responding and the insightful comments. Can I persuade you to post the link to the .bin file you are using on your cellspot? I'll update the wiki with your Kong version. Thanks
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm actually using this BS build:RT-AC68u 27413

Since there are more frequent BS builds than Kong builds (who also contributes to the main SVN) i tend to stick with his builds.

EDIT: apologize for not realizing you were asking for a Kong build. Again, all have worked for me since 25975.

Navigation

Jump to: