Telnet Access to [TMO] [Cellspot]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 17:14    Post subject: Telnet Access to [TMO] [Cellspot] Reply with quote
I am attempting to follow the CFE mod procedure (user=UKEE?) located at:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=73690012&postcount=3895

Cellspot DD-WRT wiki: http://tinyurl.com/asuscellspot

Attempts to flash a T-Mobile Cellspot (FW=3.0.0.4.376_2827) from the UI were rejected along with attempts to backup the CFE with:

Code:
http://192.168.92.1/backup/cfe.bin

Attempts to enable TELNET from the firmware UI failed:

Quote:
Enable router Telnet: <Administration><System><Enable Telnet><Apply>

because this options seems to have been removed (if this is incorrect, please let me know). An attempt was made to telnet form a DOS CLI, however this was unsuccessful.

If telnet can not be enabled then I can not extract the CFE for modification and installation, which prevents dd-wrt installation.

Although I have printed out the steps and have meticulously checked each step off, I am hoping that I have overlooked a step (please ask any questions that might reveal this). This is a powerful piece of hardware and it would be tragic if it could not realize its full potential.

When responding / commenting, please:

* consider providing any actionable guidance
* pose questions that may diagnose an issue
* note your previous success with this model (if applicable)

What can be done to gain telnet access or is there an alternative access mechanism to read / write the CFE?

Thank you for reading this lengthy post and I look forward to constructive replies.

Sponsor
UKEE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi gatorback (Florida fan!!!),

You seem to be running one of the newer TMobile firmwares that have Telnet disabled in the firmware. To use telnet, there are two methods:

1: Use the HTML edit to show the Telnet feature and re-enable it (it's simply been removed from the GUI)

2: Downgrade to TMobile firmware xxx.1703 (found in Wiki @ SlickDeals posted below).

http://slickdeals.net/f/7193262-t-mobile-personal-cellspot-ac-router-by-asus-free-for-postpaid-25-deposit?p=70386382#edit70386382

The Wiki that I just posted has lots of information including links to files, guides and even a video.

Here is a link to HTML edit the router GUI page so that you can enable Telnet again (not sure if this is still valid with newer firmwares/CFE's or not):

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/t-mobile-cellspot.19435/page-7#post-153603

Let me know if I read your post right and am on the right track.

gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 21:17    Post subject: TELNET successfully enabled: thank you! Reply with quote
@UKEE: thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. For those following along, the login credentials are admin/password.

Here are the steps: To make the telnet option available on current TM-AC1900..

1.Open your Administration > System page (probably http://192.168.29.1/Advanced_System_Content.asp)
2.Then, while on that page, press f12 to bring up your browser's developer tools
3.Search the HTML for 'telnet' and you should find a block like this:

[TELNET] [CELLSPOT]

Code:
<tr id="telnet_tr" style="display: none;">
<th>Enable Telnet</th>
<td>
<input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="1" disabled="">Yes
<input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="0" checked="" disabled="">No
</td>
</tr>
Edit it (double click, or right click and 'edit as html' or similar) and then delete the style value 'display: none' and remove the word 'disabled' from the inputtype tags (the checkboxes). It should look something like this:

Code:
<tr id="telnet_tr" style="">
<th>Enable Telnet</th>
<td>
<input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="1" >Yes
<input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="0" checked>No
</td>
</tr>

4.Press esc (or click somewhere else in the editor) to apply your changes and the Telnet check boxes are now available.
5.Select yes for telnet, then click apply.

gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can not help but wonder if the 2122 (or any other auto-updating) CFE can be edited (hex editor) to alter either the DNS or IP address that provides (forces install) of the T-Mobile firmware. Although this would be simpler than patching a donor CFE, I can be sure that is host to other problems.
UKEE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
While that may be possible, you would also need to edit the 2.1.2.2 CFE to allow it to take other firmwares than the TMobile branded firmwares (assuming you want DD-WRT on it). If you're going to edit the CFE and put it back on, might as well go with an Asus one and make the router universal in scope of firmwares.
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agreed. I neglected that there are instructions on CFE 2.1.2.2 that would check the firmware image and preclude non-TMO firmware installs. To disable this check may be difficult to disable via hex editor, but should not be impossible. Always seeking the leanest solution Smile

I understand that because I am running on a donor CFE 1.0.2.0 that there will be no surprise CFE 'upgrades', nor will the CFE actively block non-TMO firmware. If this incorrect, please correct my expectations.

Attempts to install Tomato and Merlin, from the tmo2ac68u package, were successful. No joy with dd-wrt:

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/25015M/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin

UKEE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
How did you attempt to install DD-WRT?

The GUI of the router?

If so, you might try the Asus restoration utility or boot the router into Restoration Mode (see guides or Wiki I previously posted) and then navigate to the miniCFE webserver and update from there.

gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Attempts to install http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/25015M/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin were performed with the Asus install tool with router in recovery mode.

Possible stumbling blocks?

* http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/25015M/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin is not compatible? Can someone provide a link to a known good build?

* Should the NIC be set to static IP gateway with 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.29.1?

In recovery mode, attempts to ping either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.29.1 from a static NIC failed. Attempts to upload FW though Asus utility with either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.29.1 from a static NIC failed.

Code:
netsh interface ip set address name="LAN" static 192.168.29.88 255.255.255.0 192.168.29.1

Code:

netsh interface ip set address name="LAN" static 192.168.1.88 255.255.255.0

Router was powered-on in recovery mode by holding WPS button at bootup. Not sure why the Asus firmware declared that router was not in standby.

Asus-utility initial message is:

Code:
"Searching for an available IP address. Please wait."

and then becomes

Code:
"connecting to the wireless device XX seconds'

it errors-out by stating:

Code:
"The wireless router in not in rescue mode"

UPDATE: Flashed RT-AC68u 27413 through the Tomato web UI. Still a little puzzled though why the Asus-Flash tool did not work.

holysmoke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:11    Post subject: Re: TELNET successfully enabled: thank you! Reply with quote
gatorback wrote:
@UKEE: thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. For those following along, the login credentials are admin/password.

Here are the steps: To make the telnet option available on current TM-AC1900..

1.Open your Administration > System page (probably http://192.168.29.1/Advanced_System_Content.asp)
2.Then, while on that page, press f12 to bring up your browser's developer tools
3.Search the HTML for 'telnet' and you should find a block like this:

[TELNET] [CELLSPOT]

Code:
<tr id="telnet_tr" style="display: none;">
<th>Enable Telnet</th>
<td>
<input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="1" disabled="">Yes
<input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="0" checked="" disabled="">No
</td>
</tr>
Edit it (double click, or right click and 'edit as html' or similar) and then delete the style value 'display: none' and remove the word 'disabled' from the inputtype tags (the checkboxes). It should look something like this:

Code:
<tr id="telnet_tr" style="">
<th>Enable Telnet</th>
<td>
<input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="1" >Yes
<input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="0" checked>No
</td>
</tr>

4.Press esc (or click somewhere else in the editor) to apply your changes and the Telnet check boxes are now available.
5.Select yes for telnet, then click apply.

thanks for this. I was able to enable Telnet using this method and I am able to ping the router. When I try to telnet to router it says

Quote:
Connecting To 192.168.29.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
Connect failed

any help appreciated
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:39    Post subject: Link to cellspot firmware upgrade Reply with quote
Try this procedure, let us know if successful

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_T-Mobile_Cellspot

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: