New Kong build 7-16-15 #27525

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Anti-Ultimate
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Huh, what's with the smaller range on the 2.4Ghz Band? Seems like it has been like this for a long time tbh
Sponsor
jago75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
my R7000 is working fine with this build. and no problems with mac addresses at all. -)

LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Kong

Any chance of a new release for the R8000 in the near future? The March 7 is still working extremely well for me, but just curious.

Tx.
mito
DD-WRT User

Location: Buenos Aires-Argentina, End of World and new Pope's home.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
If aint broken, don't fix it Laughing

RT-N16 on VicTek's Raf Beta 9014-v1.3d. repeater @ Condominium pool side, a lot of clients messing arround.
wrt600n on wrt610n firm 16214 @ warehouse for 22 colleagues as wifi client @ 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz just for me.
wrt54gl on Eko's @ warehose as repeater for 22 coleagues as wifi client
wrt350n oldie 2007, 5 years bricked, recovered from dead & modded with antennas and new agn radio now incredible "NA mixed" on Brainslayer's , repeater at my garage, modding as hobby (picture)
All at service.

Kong said: Yeah that stupid 30/30/30. I already said it multiple times on newer units build in the last 2 years this is not the way to do it Smile
b0xBR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
update via ddup and everything is working like a charm. Just one question, should I reset nvram after each update, or i can maintain all the configs as well?

KONG, u rock!
rammjet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
With r27525 on R7000, I have N-only set on the 2.4 GHz radio.

But iStumbler reports b,g,n

On a Linksys router with older DD-WRT set to N-only, iStumbler reports n.
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unless told to and assuming you are coming from the previous release you should be able to just do a dirty upgrade.
If however you run into issues, do a reset to default and reconfigure manually.
**update**
My response is specific to the R7000 router.
Kong has always either posted in the forums or in his read me if a reset to factory is required when flashing from the previous to current firmware.
It never hurts to be complete and reset, its just a little more time consuming.
ddup is Kongs preferred method of flashing because he employs a md5 checksum into the process where as the gui upgrade does not.
Any flashing of the firmware exposes you to risk of bricking the router.
Personally I reset to defaults each time but I have my settings written down so I can copy/paste them back in with about 5 minutes worth of work.
If your interested, RMerlin has written a nice write up on the topic on the SNB forums.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/
b0xBR wrote:
update via ddup and everything is working like a charm. Just one question, should I reset nvram after each update, or i can maintain all the configs as well?

KONG, u rock!

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152

Last edited by slidermike on Fri Jul 17, 2015 13:08; edited 2 times in total
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
Unless told to and assuming you are coming from the previous release you should be able to just do a dirty upgrade.
If however you run into issues, do a reset to default and reconfigure manually.
b0xBR wrote:

KONG, u rock!

In the past, the primary reason why people bricked their routers, was failing to do a proper reset to default. Sometimes Nvram values are incompatible, which requires a cable to fix. Perhaps upgrading by ddup is different, as I have never done it, but ddwrt upgrades normally presume default Nvram variables, And you won't know you needed to clear them until it is too late and a cable is needed to fix your bricked router.

Thx slidermike for fine tuning your post to reflect the specifics of your information

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf,
makes a good point about the historical aspect of doing a reset. Being new to ddwrt and the nuances might allow you to think my statement is blanket for all routers.
I am specifically speaking about the ARM routers and R7000 most pointedly.

In the old days (older non-arm routers) you should do a 30-30-30 reset.
With arm based routers the older (tried and true) method of 30-30-30 is no longer necessary. You can of course still perform it as it wont hurt the router either.

Kong will either posted in the forums or in his read me if a reset to factory is required when flashing from the previous to current firmware.
It never hurts to be complete and reset, its just a little more time consuming.
ddup is Kongs preferred method of flashing because he employs a md5 checksum into the process where as the gui upgrade does not.
ANY flashing of the firmware exposes you to risk of bricking the router.
Personally I reset to defaults each time but I have my settings written down so I can copy/paste them back in with about 5 minutes worth of work.
If your interested, RMerlin has written a nice write up on the topic on the SNB forums.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Jack82
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
With arm based routers the older (tried and true) method of 30-30-30 is no longer necessary. You can of course still perform it as it wont hurt the router either.

Can we assume that "Restore to factory defaults" from the WebUI is equivalent to 30-30-30 reset or to "erase nvram && reboot" commands ?

What does the "Restore to factory defaults" ACTUALLY do ? Is it in fact the same process/command as "erase nvram && reboot" ?
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes it is the same as the command line erase.
No it is not the same as a 30-30-30; that involves using the reset buttons on the router & power cycling.
A factory reset takes all the settings back to a "stock/default" mode which are saved in the firmware.
Sometimes when firmware is updated there are certain defaults that are changed, removed or added that would otherwise not be re-written so doing a reset ensures they are written correctly.
If you read RMerlins explanation it should make sense.
Jack82 wrote:
slidermike wrote:

Can we assume that "Restore to factory defaults" from the WebUI is equivalent to 30-30-30 reset or to "erase nvram && reboot" commands ?

What does the "Restore to factory defaults" ACTUALLY do ? Is it in fact the same process/command as "erase nvram && reboot" ?

b0xBR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all, thanks slidermike for replying my question. Second, I did a factory reset and reconfigured everything again. It took 10 minutes between saving and restarts. For now, everything is working properly without any considerable issue.

Once again, Kong, U really rock dude! Very Happy

edit:

As usual...

br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

BUT, without routing problems.
caren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks Kong for these great Firmwares!

Maybe I am missing something, but is seems that the last releases lack torrent support.

No so long ago it was possible to install optware (bootstrap) and them Transmission, but it doesn't seem to work now.

How are you guys installing torrent in this release?

Thanks!
b0xBR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
caren wrote:
thanks Kong for these great Firmwares!

Maybe I am missing something, but is seems that the last releases lack torrent support.

No so long ago it was possible to install optware (bootstrap) and them Transmission, but it doesn't seem to work now.

How are you guys installing torrent in this release?

Thanks!

caren, I updated and did a factory reset. When I installed at first time the opkg, I chose /opt/ partition and then, never had any problems with updates nor resets. About transmission, it's working properly with latest firmware.
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too am still getting these messages filling my log.
It doesn't appear to hurt the router but it would be nice to have the issue fixed.
I followed MrDoh advice in another thread and just changed my br0 MAC address to take care of the logs.
You can do that by looking in the gui under "Setup/Networking" for the bro MAC.
Then from telnet run the command to show you all the MAC addresses being used by the router.
nvram show | grep hwaddr=
I also ran this command to see what exactly is using the same MAC. Put your Br0 MAC after the grep.
nvram show | grep
The Br0 is lan_hwaddr= from the command output.
Then you can change the last digit to something not in use but still in the hex range.
I changed the F at the end of mine to D in the gui.
You can use command line but the gui is quick.

You will probably need to reboot to clear out the old.

b0xBR wrote:
First of all, thanks slidermike for replying my question. Second, I did a factory reset and reconfigured everything again. It took 10 minutes between saving and restarts. For now, everything is working properly without any considerable issue.

Once again, Kong, U really rock dude! Very Happy

edit:

As usual...

BUT, without routing problems.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: