TP-Link Archer C9 Thread

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
greenwrthorn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hay <Kong>
are you kong as in the actual kong? If so I just want yo say thank you for all you work. Thank you and the rest of the dd-wrt team.

woooo I am happy!!! I never thought I'd ever talk to any of you guys Very Happy
Sponsor
Twingo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
madman999 wrote:
it would still be helpful if you did the speedtest. I am only getting about 5 mbps up and down although my connection should be better.

what I am trying to figure out is if we are incurring a DD-WRT penalty on this device. there is an issue on some routers where if the drivers are not native mode drivers(ie Compatibility), you won;t get the full bandwidth. Just trying to figure out if I can recommend this router to others. obviously there is going to be some level of disappointment problem if the person is paying for a higher speed internet connection and getting the values I am seeing.

other than that, this router is pretty solid. It;s a dual core with 128 mb meg of memory and others have noted, the wifi range is pretty good.

On the C9 as well as the R7000 latest builds should do around 450Mbps NAT (WAN-LAN,with disabled qos) and around ~40Mbps through a vpn tunnel(depends on cipher used etc.).

The Linksys WRT1900AC v1 does around 900Mbps and ~50Mbps through openvpn.

The R7500 will be able to route full 1GBit/s and ~60Mbps through openvpn.

I can confirm my C9 is working okay, I can get over 3MB/s from microsoft when I'm downloading the Windows 7 sp1, just downloaded that yesterday when I was trying to reinstall an old Dell laptop, that's equivalent to ~18Mbps so I don't think there is any penalty on the unit itself that would limit the NAT performance.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aboshi wrote:
I am currently on 27456 but I have used every beta build.
Each one still has the port forward issue, have you actually tried to connect form an outside IP to your forwarded port?

Most likely, like the others that have reported this "bogus" issue in the past years, you have filled in the fields in correctly.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
never mind about my ramblings about speed issues. turns out my testing was flawed. My router was connecting to a switch that was defaulting the port to 100 mb half duplex. let it autonegotiate and now getting speeds of 55 mbps down and 5.5 down. that's more like it.

Also updated to 27490 without issue.

On another note, was trying to stress test my 9 TB USB Array connected to this router and got a disconnect and worse, unrecoverable file system corruption-not expecting that on linux.....the issue might be an incompatibility with the array although I successfully copied about 12 gigs to Acronis True Image files(2 gig per file). another oddity, upon reboot would not mount to /tmp/mnt/sdb1 but jumped to /tmp/mnt/sdc1 which caused smdb to crash. had to relaunch manually. As a result, had to reformat the drive on a linux box-it wasn;t recoverable.....that could have been a disaster.....

reverted back to 27435 for now.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095

Last edited by madman999 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 16:53; edited 2 times in total
bsalita
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 16:47    Post subject: How to Revert Firmware from dd-wrt to Archer C9? Reply with quote
What is the procedure for reverting from dd-wrt back to Archer C9? I thought it would be just a matter of reflashing but the router reboots into dd-wrt again.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 16:49    Post subject: Re: How to Revert Firmware from dd-wrt to Archer C9? Reply with quote
bsalita wrote:
What is the procedure for reverting from dd-wrt back to Archer C9? I thought it would be just a matter of reflashing but the router reboots into dd-wrt again.

There is no way the moment to revert back to the TP-Link firmware.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.

bsalita
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 17:00    Post subject: How to make configure as an AP? Reply with quote
I've loaded dd-wrt on the Archer C9. Now I'd like to make it an AP. I have a gateway at 192.168.1.254. I want to use the gateway's DHCP server for wireless clients connecting to the C9.

Here's a few things I've tried. I thought there would be some mode to set like there is on an ASUS RT-AC68U. Can't find any such setting.

I tried disabling WAN, disabling DHCP Server, and connecting the network cable to the LAN ports. That didn't work either.

I've tried many other variations but can't figure it out.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 17:26    Post subject: Re: How to make configure as an AP? Reply with quote
bsalita wrote:
I've loaded dd-wrt on the Archer C9. Now I'd like to make it an AP. I have a gateway at 192.168.1.254. I want to use the gateway's DHCP server for wireless clients connecting to the C9.

Here's a few things I've tried. I thought there would be some mode to set like there is on an ASUS RT-AC68U. Can't find any such setting.

I tried disabling WAN, disabling DHCP Server, and connecting the network cable to the LAN ports. That didn't work either.

I've tried many other variations but can't figure it out.

have you followed all the instructions in here? wired AP is a pretty basic and standard function.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

Common F.A.Q.

bsalita
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 15:00    Post subject: AP Issue Reply with quote
I previously asked about how to set up a C9 as an AP. The obvious configuration wasn't working. After much work, I can now easily reproduce the problem.

When the TV's set top box (STB wired) is playing AND I'm attached to the AP (C9) over WiFi, I lose the AP's connection. 95% of pings to the gateway are become lost eventually dropping the connection. As I turn the TV off/on, the pings succeed/fail. I duplicated this issue with a slow dd-wrt router but the ASUS RT-AC68U continues to hold the connection. I'm guessing the issue is a packet storm, perhaps caused by retransmissions. I say that because the gateways's WAN connnection lights flicker like mad. I think the gateway becomes overwhelmed because DHCP seems to fail.

The issue can be fixed by running two cables from the gateway's switch; one cable to the STB, the second to the data network. However, it is inconvenient to run a second cable. So I'll have to return the AP and buy a second ASUS RT-AC68U.

The issue doesn't seem to be cable or switch related as I've swapped out or eliminated everything. I'm unsure why the ASUS is working. Perhaps it's faster or handles the traffic better. I haven't found any settings on the C9 that fixes the issue. I've tried many of them.

I don't see any alternative than to return the C9 and buy another ASUS RT-AC68U.
bsalita
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 15:08    Post subject: FYI: Gigabit Internet Benchmarks Reply with quote
I'm fortunate to have gigabit Internet service. It's very handy for testing network performance. Using SpeedTest.Net, I'm able to get WiFi speeds of up to 450Mbps (dd-wrt) and up to 550Mbps with the original TP-Link firmware. These speeds are similar to my ASUS RT-AC68U. Wired speeds are predictable for gigabit equipment. I typically get up to 940Mbps wired on a variety of switches and routers.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
bsalita,

you might want to start a new thread for this specific problem regarding your AP and STB. Does your ASUS RT-AC68U have dd-wrt on it? The settings for creating a wired AP should be identical since it;s DD-WRT(there is no ASUS RT-AC68U specific mode in DD-WRT).

By the way, who is your ISP? And how is the TV STB connected to your network(via Ethernet or COAX? A network diagram might make it clearer.

Common F.A.Q.

madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 16:05    Post subject: Re: Post subject: Can't install on TP-Link Archer C9 Reply with quote
[/quote]

Thanks zmcgrew, I downloaded and then downgraded the firmware to the 150122 version from the TP-LINK website, and then I was able to load DD-WRT r27490.

Thanks for your help![/quote]

this is good to know that you can downgrade the TPLink firmware to an older version if you run into difficulties installing DD-WRT.

Common F.A.Q.

Aboshi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
Aboshi wrote:
I am currently on 27456 but I have used every beta build.
Each one still has the port forward issue, have you actually tried to connect form an outside IP to your forwarded port?

Most likely, like the others that have reported this "bogus" issue in the past years, you have filled in the fields in correctly.

Yeah All fields are filled in correctly...
I am not new to FW hacking, and especially not new to networking protocols.
If it were a bogus bug then there would be no need to edit firewall rules on SP1, you only need to do a simple search to see plenty of people having this issue on other routers. The only issues is the bandaid fix isn't even working with this router for some reason. A simple test for someone to try is hit the ports form outside of their network and not just say oh port forwarding works for me... Because chances are they never tested it from outside of their internal network.
bsalita
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:
bsalita,

... who is your ISP? And how is the TV STB connected to your network(via Ethernet or COAX? A network diagram might make it clearer.

I'm in Paris. My ISP is Bouygues Telecom. The prices here are incredibly low compared to US. TV+fixed line phone+gigabit fiber Internet+mobile unlimited (90Mbps in my bedroom) is around $50 US.

The fiber goes into the gateway -> switch 1 -> switch 2 -> switch 3. switch 1 has ASUS RT-AC68U plus others. switch 2 has Archer C9 plus others. switch 3 has VPN routers and STB. I shuffled around the C9. Didn't make a difference.

The ASUS router does not use dd-wrt. It uses Asus-Merlin firmware which is an enhanced version of stock Asus firmware.

Thanks for your help!
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aboshi, maybe a screen print of your port forwarding page might help us. There was a widespread port forwarding issue that affected multiple builds in a certain range and routers but it was solved 2 years ago.

what are you doing differently than me? I use port forward all the time-I am connecting to a web server from outside my network to inside my network for web and ssh on a variety of devices. I even connected to another DD-WRT router inside my network via PPTP by forwarding port 1723 and it routed correctly. Is it possible your ISP is blocking ports?

Bsalita, so when you turn on the STB, does it knock out just the C9(and any devices connected to it) but no other devices? Or does it take your entire network down? what if you connect just the
gateway router--->C9---->STB

Common F.A.Q.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 70, 71, 72  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 72
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: