TP-Link Archer C9 Thread

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
i am no one official so I can;t say if any of the bugs will be fixed. I am just happy that the router shows up as being supported. There are newer versions to try than the 27435 I am using, I just haven;t gotten around to testing. We need more people to test and post their results to get a better feel for what the router can do and not. These are just my findings in my limited environment and capacity.

If you put the line to launch smbd into the the startup command window, it should launch when you boot up the router(doesn;t seem to be working). you should not need to launch it again if SMBD doesn;t crash. If you are running EXT2/3 or 4 like me, then you might have similar results as me-no crashes in 2 days plus. However, if SMBD does crash, you can always launch it manually.

Samba(Windows Networking) works okay for local networks. the client is built into many devices and operating systems which used to be it;s biggest flaw.

FTP is technically better as traffic flows in one direction at a time and also can be used over wan links. However, FTP has been broken or works not so well for some time now. On other builds/routers I can;t seem to get it to work over wan links even with port forwarding and using ports other than 21. Seems to have some issues with passive ports. Not having FTP working is not so critical for me so I can live without it.

goodluck!

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
Sponsor
plenty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:57    Post subject: Archer C9 rev 1 - Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r27435 Reply with quote
Hey,
Just a quick note to report my experiences..

I got my Archer C9 in the post today. I was really hoping that a new, far more powerful router than my d-link dir-655 would just push a wireless signal just that little bit further upstairs to my bedroom. It didn't. Sad

It was always the intention to flash DD-WRT to it, tho once I actually got the thing I was a slightly sad to do so, given that TP-Link had done a slick job with their own firmware - it's different to all the TP-Link ones I've seen before - very graphical, very pretty - & well laid out too.

Yeah - so, I think my biggest hurdle was actually finding the bloody files to download! It seems to me that DD-WRT do their best to keep it a secret. The C9 is not in the official compatibility database on the website - & after persuing various dead-end links in forum posts I finally arrived at the ftp beta page.

I tried the latest build first, but that didnt work for me - infact I got a "Conection to Server is lost" message right after clicking upgrade. It got me panicked, coz everything stopped working - but rebooting the router restored it to the original TP-Link greeting page again.

So I stepped back a couple of revisions to 27435, & - contrary to all the advice - I saw no other option but to reconnect the lead to the WAN port.

All went well that time - first in went the "factory-to-ddwrt", followed by "archer-C9-webflash".

So, it's early days - but everything works great so far without any meaningful configuration - & best of all, I now get mostly reasonable signal upstairs, which is just fine for my needs. Gone is the pretty, in is the functional - & I couldnt be happier right now, except for the fact that on this very same day, the hard drive i was hoping to hook up to it died, so I can't report on that functionality. I lost a load of TV & Movies. Hope to report back once I get a replacement.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
welcome to the party!

what was the version that you said didn;t work for you? somebody reported they got the latest 27456 onto their C9.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.

plenty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 16:32    Post subject: DD-WRT v3.0-r27435 Reply with quote
Hey you - I'm very glad to be here & part of this (so far) quite exclusive Archer C9 club!
Yeah I went with 27435 in the end, a couple of revisions back from 27456.
To be honest, I'm sure it's not that 27456 didnt or doesnt work - I believe that, atleast for the initial flash from stock firmware to DD-WRT, you need to have the WAN port connected to your modem & thus the wider internet.
I know this goes against all advice, but when I tried to flash 27456 - I was immediately met with a "Connection to Server Lost" message, or something similar. Perhaps it's just me & something I did, but thankfully being connected to the internet did not ultimately cause a problem with the process.
Call me a coward if you like, but I'm gonna hang back a couple of revisions for the time being, & not steam in & flash the latest & greatest - i wanna just enjoy what of got a little while & get to grips with its functionality.
I ordered a TP-Link TL-WR841N to flash with DD-WRT in use as a repeater, but I think I can get away without it now - I'll flash it & sell it on , which is great news both for me & the lucky new owner!
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
could you do a speedtest from a wired PC on your network and post your results. You can use speedtest.net(ookla)

Just wondering if anyone is getting better speeds than me. I am getting 5 mbps up and down.

Common F.A.Q.

plenty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 14:02    Post subject: Archer C9 - Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r27435 - Need for Speed Reply with quote
Speedtests, huh? - Well ..
Last night, I achieved results via speedtest.net of 105mbps down & 6.9mbps up. I don't know what that means, coz it bears no relation to real-world use.
In the real world, downloading from usenet, which near-maximises my connection, I'm used to achieving roughly 7.8MB/s down. Since flashing with DD-WRT - I noticed this had dropped to nearer 5.6MB/s.
Now - I just recently figured out how to set up my VyprVPN on DD-WRT .. Top Tip! Bizarrly, you DON'T set it up in the VPN section of the router - which is confusing to say the least.
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78715&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=4547b1ff379b6bd7ae7e600fad8201f6

So, with my VPN set up, connected to the closest geographical location, my speedtest.net results tumbled dramatically to 20.57mbps down & 5.85 up.
Again, in the real world - downloading from usenet under VPN - I achieved a poultry 1.6MB/s download. This is unacceptable. I am used to 5.5MB/s down using my VPN.

There is clearly some overhead in the DD-WRT chain somewhere. I might have better wireless range, but the overall performance of DD-WRT & the WAN is jank. I was really excited about moving VPN into the routersphere above all else, but now I gotta ponder on this dilemma.
Aboshi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone have a stripped (bootloader removed) official firmware?

dd-wrt has some pretty major bugs with the archer c9 right now.
Some of the bugs ranging from wifi randomly kicking clients, to the more major ones like not being able to port forward even with correct firewall stings (only was is to disable firewall) the firewall bug alone is enough to revert to stock.
I started a thread here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=973580#973580

Hopefully one of you already have a revert to stock FW, if not please join me in that thread to help make one.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Port forwarding is working for me on 27435 and I have the SP1 Firewall enabled. What issues were you having?

Common F.A.Q.

Twingo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have any problem with 27456 on Archer C9 with wifi or port forwarding, not sure about previous builds, the wifi signal is very good and better than asus AC68U somehow Confused
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
twingo, what's your speedtest benchmark values from a wired computer to your ISP?

I redid my test with my San Digital USB array with the drive formatted to EXT4. So far no disconnections. I think the issue might have been the NTFS-3G module which has been known to be buggy and poor performing on DD-WRT

I did some tricky port forwarding, was able to portforward port 1723 to a DD-WRT Wired Wireless AP to see if I can run PPTP server on another router other than the main one. It worked.

arrayext4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.92 KB
 Viewed:  15146 Time(s)

arrayext4.jpg

Common F.A.Q.

Twingo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry my bandwidth is really low so can't help you on that, I only have 22M down and 7M up from comcast which is too slow for any speed test on archer c9, I'm too cheap to upgrade to faster cable service Laughing
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
it would still be helpful if you did the speedtest. I am only getting about 5 mbps up and down although my connection should be better.

what I am trying to figure out is if we are incurring a DD-WRT penalty on this device. there is an issue on some routers where if the drivers are not native mode drivers(ie Compatibility), you won;t get the full bandwidth. Just trying to figure out if I can recommend this router to others. obviously there is going to be some level of disappointment problem if the person is paying for a higher speed internet connection and getting the values I am seeing.

other than that, this router is pretty solid. It;s a dual core with 128 mb meg of memory and others have noted, the wifi range is pretty good.

Common F.A.Q.

plenty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 20:57    Post subject: Archer C9 - Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r27435 - Need for Speed Reply with quote
I for one am convinced there is a DD-WRT penalty - atleast, there is a performance penalty when in comparison to my old d-link dir-655. I am kicking myself now for not running speedtests on the original Archer C9 firmware the day I got it, but I am unfortunately an exciteable eager beaver & I blew it away as soon as I finally worked out where to download the DD-WRT from.
I have reverted away from running my VPN on the router itself, as the performance was proper jank, but i've still lost some download/upload speed - & it's a significant slice of performance too. See my previous post about the details, it hasn't changed much despite a reset.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:
it would still be helpful if you did the speedtest. I am only getting about 5 mbps up and down although my connection should be better.

what I am trying to figure out is if we are incurring a DD-WRT penalty on this device. there is an issue on some routers where if the drivers are not native mode drivers(ie Compatibility), you won;t get the full bandwidth. Just trying to figure out if I can recommend this router to others. obviously there is going to be some level of disappointment problem if the person is paying for a higher speed internet connection and getting the values I am seeing.

other than that, this router is pretty solid. It;s a dual core with 128 mb meg of memory and others have noted, the wifi range is pretty good.

On the C9 as well as the R7000 latest builds should do around 450Mbps NAT (WAN-LAN,with disabled qos) and around ~40Mbps through a vpn tunnel(depends on cipher used etc.).

The Linksys WRT1900AC v1 does around 900Mbps and ~50Mbps through openvpn.

The R7500 will be able to route full 1GBit/s and ~60Mbps through openvpn.
Aboshi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am currently on 27456 but I have used every beta build.
Each one still has the port forward issue, have you actually tried to connect form an outside IP to your forwarded port?
I have tested this with mysql, ftp, 80, 21, 9001, 9000, 1000, 8000, 8080 and so on. You name it same result. Everything is still blocked to outside communication. I will install 27435 just to check again and make sure I didn't skip this version but I'm bit going to get my hopes up.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70, 71, 72  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 72
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: