TP-Link Archer C9 Thread

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI, in case anyone is shopping for this router NewEgg has it for 139.99 at this time

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704232

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
Sponsor
gaetawoo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a good deal. I got mine for 149 at Costco. So a dash more expensive but if I ever need to return them I can. Looks like they don't stock it anymore though. Costco is fickle.

madman999 wrote:
FYI, in case anyone is shopping for this router NewEgg has it for 139.99 at this time

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704232
gaetawoo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
The up and down speeds seem to be what I remember from netgear... about 25MB/s over long files. It's usb3 formatted ext4. the computer is win7. if one uses linux, it's much faster. not sure why since it's over the network either way, but linux has less network overhead i guess.

Anyway, I verified that my bandwidth is basically equal over WiFi as it is over Lan to the external net.

madman999 wrote:

also, so now if your samba is working, do you have a USB 3.0 drive attached? if so, how is the disk performance? better than USB 2.0 speeds atleast?
xmadnet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 19:20    Post subject: WIFI AC, AC/N issues Reply with quote
Hi,

On Wl0 interface (B G, N mode) I can specified channel and in mix mode with wide HT 40 i can use 2 frequences (20Mhz+20Mhz) ( rate up to 600Mbs)

But on WL1 interface (A .. AC mode) i C'ANT specified channel and I CAN'T use 2 frequences (HT40 or VT80). So rate is lower then N/G mixed !

Do you have this issue to ?

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/09/15) std
gaetawoo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 19:40    Post subject: Re: WIFI AC, AC/N issues Reply with quote
On my wl1, I'm using AC/N mixed, at a specified ch36 with VHT (80+80) using lower-lower. Not sure why it doesn't give you the option. Usually it only does that when I haven't applied settings which would allow it.

xmadnet wrote:
Hi,

On Wl0 interface (B G, N mode) I can specified channel and in mix mode with wide HT 40 i can use 2 frequences (20Mhz+20Mhz) ( rate up to 600Mbs)

But on WL1 interface (A .. AC mode) i C'ANT specified channel and I CAN'T use 2 frequences (HT40 or VT80). So rate is lower then N/G mixed !

Do you have this issue to ?

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/09/15) std
Robsan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
gaetawoo wrote:
madman999 wrote:
Run a putty session and then run TOP

see if ProFTPD and SMBD daemons are running

K, I verified, SMBD and ProFTPD daemons are NOT running. I even disabled them, applied, then reenabled them, applied (all from the webgui). TOP doesn't show either of them running.

<code snipped>

gaetawoo,

I had the same problem this version of code [DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/09/15) std - build 26653], and I came up with an interim fix. This script checks if you have ProFTPD enabled and if it is running. If ProFTPD is not running it makes sure that it does not start a duplicate ProFTPD service, then starts the service. The script also creates a log when ProFTPD was started. To keep the log small, it does not get appended.

Paste this in the Admin>Commands window, then 'Save Custom Script':

Code:

#!/bin/sh
if [ "$(nvram get proftpd_enable)" = "1" ] && [ "$(ps | grep 'proftpd' | grep -v grep)" == "" ];
then
killall -q proftpd
$root /usr/sbin/proftpd
echo $(date) $'\n' $(ps | grep 'proftpd:' | grep -v grep) &>/tmp/proftpd/etc/proftpd.log
fi

This code could be saved as a Startup Script instead of a Custom Script, but if you make any changes to ProFTPD you'll need to manually restart the service. Instead I use a Cron job:

Make sure Cron is enabled, Admin>Management>Cron -Paste this in the Cron window, then 'Apply Settings':

Code:

*/1 * * * * root /tmp/custom.sh

To check to see if the process is running:

Code:

ps | grep 'proftpd' | grep -v grep

To check the log:

Code:

cat /tmp/proftpd/etc/proftpd.log

Reboot the router to make sure everything starts up autonomously. Remember the Cron Job is set to kick off every minute, so wait at least a minute after boot before you test it.

I hope that helps,

Rob
gaetawoo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyway you can do the same thing but with SMBD instead? I don't care much for the FTP, have no need for it, but the smb sharing i sure do.

Robsan wrote:
gaetawoo wrote:
madman999 wrote:
Run a putty session and then run TOP

see if ProFTPD and SMBD daemons are running

K, I verified, SMBD and ProFTPD daemons are NOT running. I even disabled them, applied, then reenabled them, applied (all from the webgui). TOP doesn't show either of them running.

<code snipped>

gaetawoo,

I had the same problem this version of code [DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/09/15) std - build 26653], and I came up with an interim fix. This script checks if you have ProFTPD enabled and if it is running. If ProFTPD is not running it makes sure that it does not start a duplicate ProFTPD service, then starts the service. The script also creates a log when ProFTPD was started. To keep the log small, it does not get appended.

Paste this in the Admin>Commands window, then 'Save Custom Script':

Code:

#!/bin/sh
if [ "$(nvram get proftpd_enable)" = "1" ] && [ "$(ps | grep 'proftpd' | grep -v grep)" == "" ];
then
killall -q proftpd
$root /usr/sbin/proftpd
echo $(date) $'\n' $(ps | grep 'proftpd:' | grep -v grep) &>/tmp/proftpd/etc/proftpd.log
fi

This code could be saved as a Startup Script instead of a Custom Script, but if you make any changes to ProFTPD you'll need to manually restart the service. Instead I use a Cron job:

Make sure Cron is enabled, Admin>Management>Cron -Paste this in the Cron window, then 'Apply Settings':

Code:

*/1 * * * * root /tmp/custom.sh

To check to see if the process is running:

Code:

ps | grep 'proftpd' | grep -v grep

To check the log:

Code:

cat /tmp/proftpd/etc/proftpd.log

Reboot the router to make sure everything starts up autonomously. Remember the Cron Job is set to kick off every minute, so wait at least a minute after boot before you test it.

I hope that helps,

Rob
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I decided to take a chance on this router. Got it from Newegg for 139$ with a Motorola SB6121 modem bundled in for an extra 20$. I actually needed the modem so getting the router too was an opportunity. Wish it was a better modem though but oh well.....

I installed 27435 directly from the web interface and seems to have installed correctly.

Testing out the USB 3.0 interface over Samba via NTFS, the attached jpg shows getting reasonable, better than USB 2.0 speeds.

Another oddity, had to run the

/usr/sbin/smbd -D --configfile=/tmp/smb.conf

command twice in startup command and in a terminal session(if launching manually) because running it once did not keep it running and in memory. I seem to end up with multiple instances though.

tried to launch ProFTPD using the command

/usr/sbin/proftpd -D --configfile=/tmp/proftpd/etc/proftpd.conf

with results in an instance accepting connections but for some reason, my share is not linked to the connected USB drive(/mnt/sda1) so can;t access anything.

other than that, testing continues.

nasddwrt.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.5 KB
 Viewed:  27887 Time(s)

nasddwrt.jpg

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.

gaetawoo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's interesting, without rebooting, i noticed my router was no longer running the smbd though I had started it manually weeks ago. I wonder why it kills it. So maybe there is need of a cronjob to run it again? or check if it's running and if not then run it?

How did you solve this?

madman999 wrote:
So I decided to take a chance on this router. Got it from Newegg for 139$ with a Motorola SB6121 modem bundled in for an extra 20$. I actually needed the modem so getting the router too was an opportunity. Wish it was a better modem though but oh well.....

I installed 27435 directly from the web interface and seems to have installed correctly.

Testing out the USB 3.0 interface over Samba via NTFS, the attached jpg shows getting reasonable, better than USB 2.0 speeds.

command twice in startup command and in a terminal session(if launching manually) because running it once did not keep it running and in memory. I seem to end up with multiple instances though.

with results in an instance accepting connections but for some reason, my share is not linked to the connected USB drive(/mnt/sda1) so can;t access anything.

madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
something is causing smbd to crash or is shutting it down. Constantly relaunching SMDB might be a stopgap solution but doesn't sound like the way to go long term.

I don;t think my raid array is spinning down due to powersave functions. it got disconnected and reconnected, the mount changed from sda1 to sdb1. Maybe the USB mounting is buggy.

Common F.A.Q.

madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
here is the disk performance using an EXT2 formatted USB 2.0 flash key

usbkey20ddwrt.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.98 KB
 Viewed:  27825 Time(s)

usbkey20ddwrt.jpg

Common F.A.Q.

madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is a benchmark result using a single drive in a USB 3.0 dock(Calvary Retriever) formatted as EXT4. So far no crashes with that drive yet. Maybe the key is not to use NTFS?

Odd that the write speeds are good, read speeds mediocre. But they are well above typical USB 2.0 speeds.

singledriveusb20ddwrt.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.46 KB
 Viewed:  27784 Time(s)

singledriveusb20ddwrt.jpg

Common F.A.Q.

greenwrthorn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:

Hay madman999 and gaetawoo.... Thanks for your posts I found them really interesting and I have been following them obsessively. So this morning I have just got my archer C9 delivered and I really wanna flash it with dd wrt, but this will be my first flash and I am worried that I will have problems with the usb, and that is something I definitely need. AND im not as capable as either of you two in trying to fis any problems that may arise.
so what I would like to know is if u guys think it will be a good idea for me to flash it now of if I should wait for a more bug free beta to be released?

Thanks alot in advance..... I really really want to flash it but if anything goes wrong I know I wont be able solve it..... this is the most conflicted I have been in a looooong time Smile Smile
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
i think it;s safe to use. Since nobody is actively working on this router specifically, I don;t think anything will change or improve on the bugs.

It;s seems stable enough and I got around all the issues affecting me. on 27435, have port forwarding, PPTP server and Samba sharing of EXT2/4 drives working. No errors or issues with Wireless although I don;t have many wireless N or AC clients to test. I even have the YAMon2 monitoring script running.

only issue I have is that I don;t think I am getting full bandwidth performance to my ISP. according to speedtest.net, I am getting about 5 mbs up and down. further testing is being done before i draw any conclusions. On an old router I was getting 20/5.

what;s not working is FTP and thus far, I've concluded that EXT2/3/4 works better than NTFS. Haven;t had any disconnections or Samba crashing over the weekend.

Another oddity, I can;t get connected to the 5G radio unless I have SSID broadcasting turned on. Couldn;t keep the SSID hiddden.

Samba needs to be launched separately in the startup script. Here is an example of how I do it.

ddwrtcommands.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.14 KB
 Viewed:  27637 Time(s)

ddwrtcommands.JPG

Common F.A.Q.

greenwrthorn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
hay thanks for replying.
i was hoping i could wait till a "perfect build" is made but from what i understand, you are saying that there will be no changes?

please forgive my lack of knowledge but as far as i am aware samba is better that FTP? and if that is the case then it shouldn't matter if FTP works or not?

haha thanks for the advice..... all my usb drives are currently NTFS... but i will make sure they are all in EXT2/4/ (i left them at uni but i will get my hands on them in about 2 months)

have you tried swapping the archer C9 with your old router to and then checking your internet speed?

and about launching samba... do i need to do it every time i restart the router or do i only need to do it once?

thanks for your help i really appreciate it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 70, 71, 72  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 72
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: