WHR-HP-G300N on 25648 stops accepting one specific client

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
vibranto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 13:06    Post subject: WHR-HP-G300N on 25648 stops accepting one specific client Reply with quote
Reliable router has worked great for long time over series of revisions and updates - no issues. Then updated to 25760 a few weeks ago and the found DNSmasq was broken in that so had to revert to 25648 and thought all was well.

Unfortunately new problem is that after some time, one specific Windows 7x64 client drops off the wifi and cannot reconnect - attempts to associate are dropped or refused.

Rebooting router solves problem, client reconnects immediately.

Numerous other clients can connect and remain connected during this time - iOs devices, WinXP, OSX, embedded systems, etc. so it seems just this client is getting refused or blocked...

The one thing about the client in question is that it is highly active and opens/closes by far the most connections.

Router reboots nightly, but this can occur as soon as 7-9hrs into a reboot seems to depend on traffic level from this client.

Have logged into the console and tried to look at logs but don't see anything pertinent. Haven't setup syslogd yet but might be the next step if another upgrade doesn't work...

Going to flash the latest beta and see if that helps but of course am hoping the DNSMasq issue has been fixed... if not then that will not help...

Any suggestions welcome.

Router: WHR-HP-G300N
Rev: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/15/14) std - build 25648
Sponsor
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anything older than 25948 has ath9k bugs so you'll get wifi dropouts/disconnects/freezes on Atheros-based routers.
I recommend latest build 26854 released today (should be fine) or previous (relatively) stable one 26653, see the ftp link in my signature.

vibranto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
Anything older than 25948 has ath9k bugs so you'll get wifi dropouts/disconnects/freezes on Atheros-based routers.
I recommend latest build 26854 released today (should be fine) or previous (relatively) stable one 26653, see the ftp link in my signature.

Thanks - you're confirming what probably I was seeing. Good to know "it is a thing".

I have loaded todays build and it's running well so far, but FYI DNSMasq is STILL broken in that one.

I have relented and left that build on, and am now running DHCPd and seems fine but the DD-WRT conventional wisdom has always been to run DNSMasq insteadas its more resource efficient and so would be great if that could be fixed.... going on 6 months now that's been broken in these releases...
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I've read about broken DNSMasq on certain routers. Would you please report your findings for the latest build 26854 in the corresponding thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=282815
vibranto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
Yes, I've read about broken DNSMasq on certain routers. Would you please report your findings for the latest build 26854 in the corresponding thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=282815

heh heh - ahead of you - post 3 in the thread.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, didn't notice... juggling too many things at once Smile
vibranto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 14:57    Post subject: Re: WHR-HP-G300N on 25648 stops accepting one specific clien Reply with quote
vibranto wrote:
Reliable router has worked great for long time over series of revisions and updates - no issues. Then updated to 25760 a few weeks ago and the found DNSmasq was broken in that so had to revert to 25648 and thought all was well.

Unfortunately new problem is that after some time, one specific Windows 7x64 client drops off the wifi and cannot reconnect - attempts to associate are dropped or refused.

snip snip snip

Per this post, seems tweaking the DNSMasq Options might be the solution to the problem I was having.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=971549#971549
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: