Is Linksys ea6900 supported for ddwrt firmware?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys,

Sorry for the blast of posts... I finally got the router. I flashed it to 23320 build of DD-WRT and checked the CFE version. Looks like it is 1.0.

So I got the 1.1 version posted in this thread by blywong and updated the CFE via console using the mtd command. did a 30/30/30 and checked CFE version. 1.1. So far so good.

I test for the nvram bug by enabling ssh and rebooting. looks okay. I have values past 32k and no "00 00" at 32k address. Thinking I'm not affected by nvram bug I decide to go to latest dd-wrt.

I flash to the latest rom (26947). I enable ssh to test nvram and reboot and the router goes into a boot loop.

Is this a bug in the latest dd-wrt FW or is this a symptom of the nvram bug? I noticed after enabling ssh, that the nvram increases a lot more than with build 23320 (36k vs. 33k).

I really don't want to flash to the asus CFE to solve this. Would prefer to keep things somewhat close to linksys standards.

Any advice? Thanks!

One more question about all the CFE flashing... Is restoring the CFE from Asus back to linksys 1.0/1.1 basically the same? Unlock MTD and write? Do I have to do a FW upgrade from the command line back to a linksys FW before I reboot as well?

Thanks.. And apologies for the flood of questions. Just don't want to brick the router.

Edit: okay... so it seems like I'm affected by the NVRAM bug... I've tried various versions of dd-wrt which boot loops after a reboot, and i've tried tomato by shibby and that seemed to be working fine but after a reboot, my 2.4ghz radio settings disappeared. so yea. nvram bug =(

Looks like I'm going to have to flash to xvortex's asus cfe.. just need to read up on how to customize it.

Can anyone confirm that I will be able to flash back to stock CFE afterwards? I can't imagine why I can't but would be nice to confirm with the nice folks here.

seriously contemplating just buying a new ac68u lol...
Sponsor
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey Guys,

Sooo.... I got Xvortex's CFE flashed (yay!) and I had build 23320 dd-wrt installed (yay!) and I tried reproducing nvram bug with no issues (yay!) but then I tried flashing to the latest dd-wrt build (27xxx) and i couldn't boot back. so I put the router into restoration mode (holding reset and plugging in) and tried flashing the FW this way as it was suggested previously in this thread... Problem now... =(

Is the Asus CFE miniWeb server firmware upload suppose to be this slow? it's taking like 10 minutes to upload 1%.

It's been so long to get to now 60% (I think all night) that I'm thinking of pulling the plug. Can anyone confirm this is safe to abort before I do so?

I'm thinking I should unplug the router while it's still uploading and trying to get it to boot back into dd-wrt by clearing nvram and uploading and flashing via telnet. Or maybe use tftp2 tool...

This is all because I couldn't get flashing to work via dd-wrt gui like Malachi.

Getting desperate as I have to unplug to go to work soon since I was using my work laptop lol... Thanks!

Edit: okay, i pulled the plug on the router mid-upload and it rebooted and I can get back into the old dd-wrt.

hahha, whoever is reading all my posts, I hope you've enjoyed my journey with this damn router.. =)
james1795
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
mr_yellow wrote:
hey Guys,

Sooo.... I got Xvortex's CFE flashed (yay!) and I had build 23320 dd-wrt installed (yay!) and I tried reproducing nvram bug with no issues (yay!) but then I tried flashing to the latest dd-wrt build (27xxx) and i couldn't boot back. so I put the router into restoration mode (holding reset and plugging in) and tried flashing the FW this way as it was suggested previously in this thread... Problem now... =(

Is the Asus CFE miniWeb server firmware upload suppose to be this slow? it's taking like 10 minutes to upload 1%.

It's been so long to get to now 60% (I think all night) that I'm thinking of pulling the plug. Can anyone confirm this is safe to abort before I do so?

I'm thinking I should unplug the router while it's still uploading and trying to get it to boot back into dd-wrt by clearing nvram and uploading and flashing via telnet. Or maybe use tftp2 tool...

This is all because I couldn't get flashing to work via dd-wrt gui like Malachi.

Getting desperate as I have to unplug to go to work soon since I was using my work laptop lol... Thanks!

Edit: okay, i pulled the plug on the router mid-upload and it rebooted and I can get back into the old dd-wrt.

hahha, whoever is reading all my posts, I hope you've enjoyed my journey with this damn router.. =)

Before you update to the latest and greatest make sure that you turn off dnsmasq on the setup page and save changes. Mine has the following in the startup script so I dont have to worry about the 32 nvram bug.

for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay... I see the light at the end of the tunnel...

So I'm now running build 27086. 27092 had some UI issues with creating bridges so I just went back one release... My nvram usage is well above 32k (~44k) and I've rebooted several times and no issues discovered.

I did the hexdump command and althought it does find additional "00 00", the locations are nowhere close to 0x8000. I'm assuming this is okay and it's legitimate '00 00' and not the nvram boundary.

I've been using the ftp FW then telnet and mtd write to change the firmware. Much faster than using the Asus CFE miniweb server to flash the FW.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Now it's finally on to setup and speed tests...

Last edited by mr_yellow on Thu May 28, 2015 15:06; edited 1 time in total
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
james1795 wrote:

Before you update to the latest and greatest make sure that you turn off dnsmasq on the setup page and save changes. Mine has the following in the startup script so I dont have to worry about the 32 nvram bug.

for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done

James, what does that script do exactly? It looks like it just unsets all the nvram variables it finds.
james1795
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess frees up the unused nvram as far as I know.
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
james1795 wrote:
I guess frees up the unused nvram as far as I know.

I'm just curious why you think you need to do this if you're running XVortex's modified CFE. That seems to have solved the 32k nvram bug.
james1795
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Because the 32k bug was affecting mine. With that you get a better response out of the router as well.
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay... so I thought I'd consolidate all the info I've gathered over the past few days into one post. Thanks to everyone that posted above me. Well, not everyone, but you know who ;)

My Process to run DD-WRT on EA6900

* Don't bother with Linksys CFE (Bootloader) 1.0 or 1.1. Use XVortex's Modified Asus CFE.

XVortex CFE
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=953802&highlight=#953802

1) You have to modify the CFE with your router's MAC addr and WPS password using CFEEdit.

Code:
et0macaddr   -> your base mac address on the bottom sticker
0:macaddr   -> equals to et0macaddr
1:macaddr   -> equals to 0:macaddr + :0x04
secret_code   -> WPS password (bottom of router, no dash)

CFEEdit
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=953802&highlight=#953802

2) Flash r23320 build of dd-wrt as it's smaller than current releases in linksys gui to get around linksys fw size restriction.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/01-10-2014-r23320-fix/linksys-ea6900/

3) do a 30/30/30 with reset button to clear nvram
4) log into dd-wrt, set user/password
4.5) backup your cfe by browsing to http://192.168.1.1/backup/cfe.bin
* You'll need this if you ever want to revert back to stock.
5) enable proftpd and create a new user
6) ftp the modified CFE with that user

* For love of god, remember to enable binary mode in ftp or use a client like winscp

7) telnet into router and run the following commands to flash CFE. USERNAME is the user you created in for proftpd.
Code:
mtd unlock /dev/mtd0
mtd write -f /tmp/proftpd/users/USERNAME/modified_cfe.bin /dev/mtd0

* For love of god, don't cut and paste these commands. adjust them to match your file and directory names

8) Clear nvram by pulling the power on the router, hold *WPS* button while plug in power. Wait for the LED to flash quickly (~20 seconds). This is the nvram reset procedure with new CFE.
9) go back into dd-wrt, set user/password
10) enable proftpd and create new user again
11) FTP desired ea6900 firmware you want (dd-wrt BS/KONG, Tomato by Shibby, etc...)

* For love of god, remember to enable binary mode in ftp or use a client like winscp

12) Telnet and flash using the following commands:
Code:
mtd write name-of-firmware.bin Linux
erase nvram
reboot

* For love of god, don't cut and paste these commands. adjust them to match your file and directory names
* Not sure if erase nvram command will work. if not, then hold WPS button while plugging in power until linksys led flashes quickly. this erases nvram.

13) Test 32k nvram bug by enabling SSH, adding stuff to admin->commands scripts, etc.. anything to bump nvram above 32k.
14) Reboot and run following command:

Code:
hexdump -C /dev/mtd1 | grep "00 00" -B 1 -A 1

* You will receive a result similar like below:

Code:
00000000  46 4c 53 48 d0 7e 00 00  d0 01 00 00 47 01 00 00  |FLSH.~......G...|
00000010  00 00 00 00 30 3a 61 67  31 3d 30 00 73 65 73 5f  |....0:ag1=0.ses_|
00000020  73 63 72 69 70 74 3d 00  66 69 6c 74 65 72 5f 64  |script=.filter_d|
--
00007eb0  6e 74 3d 30 00 6f 65 74  35 5f 72 65 6d 3d 31 39  |nt=0.oet5_rem=19|
00007ec0  32 2e 31 36 38 2e 39 30  2e 31 00 00 00 00 00 00  |2.168.90.1......|
00007ed0  ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff  ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff  |................|

* The limit for 32K is row hex 8000.
* If your nvram size reports above 32K (32768) and you find in hexdump the 3 "00" before row hex 8000, you have the 32K bug. (After reboot of course)

* Basically if you don't see "00 00 00" before or near address 00008000, you're okay.

* Remember your new reset procedure with modified xvortex asus cfe
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=953782&highlight=#953782

How to check your CFE version: (really no point to if you're going to XVortex's CFE)
1) flash to r23320
2) backup your cfe by browsing to http://192.168.1.1/backup/cfe.bin
3) telnet into router and run

Code:
nvram show | grep sw_version

xxxx.12 = CFE 1.0
xxxx.13 = CFE 1.1

How to check for 32k nvram bug (Do this after you've installed your desired FW)
1) if starting out from linksys fw flash to r23320
2) then flash to newer dd-wrt build
3) enable ssh and other things to make nvram go past 32k. I used the admin->command scripts and added a bunch of scripts. You could theoretically just dump many long lines of "#"
4) reboot
5) run the hexdump command above. look for "00 00 00" by address 8000
6) sometimes after the reboot, the router will go into boot loops. Most likely caused by nvram bug. Clear the nvram using whatever method matches the CFE installed (30/30/30 reset for linksys, WPS for xvortex).

Other helpful links:

Asus Recovery Tool:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/Rescue_RT_AC68U_2000.zip

If you find any errors in the info above, please PM me or post here.

CAVEATS:
* You can't flash using the dd-wrt gui anymore. You can to use telnet and mtd command or tftp or the cfe miniweb server (open 192.168.1.1 while TTL=100 during boot)
* flashing back to stock CFE (you backed up the CFE right?) should be as simple as uploading the CFE bin file and running the same commands you used to flash to xvortex cfe. Remember the clear nvram proceedure changes.
* you can't erase nvram from command line (erase nvram). it causes 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios to have the same MAC address. reset nvram using WPS button technique or resetting via asus cfe miniweb server.
* USB 3.0 port is non-functioning.

Last edited by mr_yellow on Mon Jun 01, 2015 15:19; edited 7 times in total
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
james1795 wrote:
Because the 32k bug was affecting mine. With that you get a better response out of the router as well.

But didn't the xvortex cfe solve the 32k nvram bug for you?

BTW, the script will unset all nvram lines that end in "=". so essentially all variables with no value. However, if you happen to have a variable value that ends in = (like i did), then i'm not sure what the behaviour of the script will be. It may unset that valid variable or it may not (since the script may parse at the wrong = sign).

Just becareful. Also the resulting amount of data saved was only 8k for me. So with my nvram hovering around 44k right now, i'd still be affected by the CFE bug. Luckily xvortex solves it.
Swent
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey mr_yellow

I would be very interested in wifi and cable performance.
Maybe you could do some speed testing (local and internet) and post the results.

I'm thinking of buying an ea6900... but I'm not convinced yet. I want some stable AC ddwrt router but reading the threads of newer asus routers that are packed with wifi problems led me to other manufacturers.

Thanks for all the info on how you managed to get your router working!

Swent
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Swent"]Hey mr_yellow

Maybe you could do some speed testing (local and internet) and post the results.

I'm thinking of buying an ea6900... but I'm not convinced yet. I want some stable AC ddwrt router but reading the threads of newer asus routers that are packed with wifi problems led me to other manufacturers.

Swent[/quote

Would you be able to recommend a tool to test performance?
Swent
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="mr_yellow"]
Swent wrote:
Hey mr_yellow

Swent[/quote

Would you be able to recommend a tool to test performance?

To be honest I have no idea, maybe just copy/download a pretty large file from one device to another, try eliminating the devices storage as bottleneck (from/to SSD). Divide size by time and you got an average transfer speed.
You could do this one time for cable and one time for 5ghz wifi (but maybe just let one device use wifi, so target OR source should remain on a cable connection).

Thanks for your help
depswa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
mr_yellow wrote:
Okay... so I thought I'd consolidate all the info I've gathered over the past few days into one post.

I would add to this nice summary that router EA6900 is not recommended for purchase, since it does not (and will not) function properly with dd-wrt Smile

With all the headache, you must either live with the 32k bug (which is not going to be fixed, because it must be fixed by Linksys) and hence must keep the config very simple - not what dd-wrt is usually installed for. Or you must deal with CFE from Asus, which is not easy for regular user. And even if you succeed with CFE, one of the USB ports (USB 3.0) will not be functioning.

Just get Netgear R7000, or Asus AC68U, or one of many other high-spec routers instead Smile
apvm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
depswa wrote:
mr_yellow wrote:
Okay... so I thought I'd consolidate all the info I've gathered over the past few days into one post.

I would add to this nice summary that router EA6900 is not recommended for purchase, since it does not (and will not) function properly with dd-wrt Smile

With all the headache, you must either live with the 32k bug (which is not going to be fixed, because it must be fixed by Linksys) and hence must keep the config very simple - not what dd-wrt is usually installed for. Or you must deal with CFE from Asus, which is not easy for regular user. And even if you succeed with CFE, one of the USB ports (USB 3.0) will not be functioning.

Just get Netgear R7000, or Asus AC68U, or one of many other high-spec routers instead Smile

Well it depends on how much you pay for it. Right now we have a promo in Canada for the Linksys recertified EA6900 C$69.99 with free shipping, about US$57. Not a bad price for a solid router if you are able to tweak it. I bought one and it should arrive on Monday, going to test it with Asuswrt firmware or Tomota.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 59, 60, 61  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 49 of 61
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: