2015 - which (netgear) router optimal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
obmot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 23:54    Post subject: 2015 - which (netgear) router optimal? Reply with quote
[EDIT: @MURRKF - since Netgears use both Atheros and Broadcom chips, I was not sure where to post this query if not in general ... it is a router question but based on dd-wrt compatibility. Please feel FREE to repost this query elsewhere if you feel appropriate OR to DELETE it altogether and I will endeavor to find a better place for it(?). Either way thanks, I've truly not meant to break your rules etc. Smile ]

Hi group - pardon this rather general and 'lazy' post - I've just not had the time to keep up with routers/dd-wrt for the past year or two. Hence my query...

I've (very) successfully implemented dd-wrt on 4 Netgears, all WNDR3700 (a v1, a v2, and two v4s). Not problems at all that were not of my own doing, lol. That was circa 2012 or so. But now we are at 2015.

I'd like to 'upgrade' myself and the family members that I've become defacto "IP" support for over the years. To that end, since I've had great luck with both Netgear hardware (3700s) and dd-wrt, I'd like to stay the course.

What Netgear model numbers are currently considered very 'successful' with dd-wrt builds - i.e., if you were going to buy and flash a Netgear router TODAY, which do you think would be the best choice, or perhaps WHICH MIGHT you -avoid-?

You are all far more "in tune" and up to date on the forum and the hardware that's been successful most recently, what might you recommend?

Finally, thanks to the dd-wrt creators for firmware that has proved incredibly (!!) useful and stable on the 3700s, and to the forum community at large, I do not post often but have been helped out of a few jams (again, all of my own making) by an incredibly helpful bunch of folks.

Thanks in advance for your collective advice on a good current Netgear model that has been stable/successful to others - I am greatly appreciative.

GO PACKERS!

Last edited by obmot on Wed Apr 15, 2015 0:13; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
obmot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm replying to my own query which I know is rather tacky Neutral

As a way of adding context, as noted above - for better or worse I've become 'tech support' for various family members near and far, so my goal is to get everyone on the same hardware (unit) with dd-wrt so that when they have issues and I remotely 'service' their routers (as tends to happen now and then) - I have the benefit of everyone having the same setup which makes things easier for me. If that makes sense.

Again, thanks for your thoughts re: Netgear routers of circa 2015 that have had good dd-wrt success by others here.
mito
DD-WRT User

Location: Buenos Aires-Argentina, End of World and new Pope's home.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
r7000 with Kong's firm http://www.desipro.de/ddwr/K3-AC-Arm/ Check Kong's r7000 .chk > 23-Mar-2015 01:15
And first go "README" @ http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/ @ 01-Mar-2014

RT-N16 on VicTek's Raf Beta 9014-v1.3d. repeater @ Condominium pool side, a lot of clients messing arround.
wrt600n on wrt610n firm 16214 @ warehouse for 22 colleagues as wifi client @ 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz just for me.
wrt54gl on Eko's @ warehose as repeater for 22 coleagues as wifi client
wrt350n oldie 2007, 5 years bricked, recovered from dead & modded with antennas and new agn radio now incredible "NA mixed" on Brainslayer's , repeater at my garage, modding as hobby (picture)
All at service.

Kong said: Yeah that stupid 30/30/30. I already said it multiple times on newer units build in the last 2 years this is not the way to do it Smile
obmot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks you kindly @mito I will check out the r7000 and readme. 'Preciate your reply!
mito
DD-WRT User

Location: Buenos Aires-Argentina, End of World and new Pope's home.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laughing

RT-N16 on VicTek's Raf Beta 9014-v1.3d. repeater @ Condominium pool side, a lot of clients messing arround.
wrt600n on wrt610n firm 16214 @ warehouse for 22 colleagues as wifi client @ 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz just for me.
wrt54gl on Eko's @ warehose as repeater for 22 coleagues as wifi client
wrt350n oldie 2007, 5 years bricked, recovered from dead & modded with antennas and new agn radio now incredible "NA mixed" on Brainslayer's , repeater at my garage, modding as hobby (picture)
All at service.

Kong said: Yeah that stupid 30/30/30. I already said it multiple times on newer units build in the last 2 years this is not the way to do it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: