2 dual band or 2 single band antena?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
jfrancais
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 19:19    Post subject: 2 dual band or 2 single band antena? Reply with quote
Hi all, got a question RE: wireless antenna's and thought I'd see if I can get an opinion. Running tplink WDR3600 router. Comes with 2 external dual band antenna. I was thinking of getting something directional to replace them since the location of my router is at one end of my house (and is pretty difficult to move given some other restrictions).

It got me wondering, since you can assign a TX/RX chain per band, if I might be better off setting 2.4 to one antenna and 5 to the other, and then get single band antenna for each side. Or would it be better to try and get matching dual bands and leave the antenna chains as is. Thoughts?
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
What?

Directional antennas are for straight line longer distance links, not for going from one side of the house to another.

You cannot assign one band to receive and another to transmit. Wifi is BI directional. Always.

You are likely best to leave the router alone. Antennas are unlikely to solve the problem.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
jfrancais
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
For directional, sure, you can get high gain directional antennas to go long distance point to point, but there are also indoor directional antennas available to focus the coverage to a particular area vs the all over omnidirectional.

And, I'm not saying set 2.4 to transmit and 5 to receive. I'm saying dedicate one of the antennas to 2.4 and the other to 5. Then instead of trying to buy 2 good dual band antennas I could focus on 1 good single band 2.4 and one good single band 5.
mito
DD-WRT User

Location: Buenos Aires-Argentina, End of World and new Pope's home.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, you can, but i doubt the results, pls report back.

RT-N16 on VicTek's Raf Beta 9014-v1.3d. repeater @ Condominium pool side, a lot of clients messing arround.
wrt600n on wrt610n firm 16214 @ warehouse for 22 colleagues as wifi client @ 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz just for me.
wrt54gl on Eko's @ warehose as repeater for 22 coleagues as wifi client
wrt350n oldie 2007, 5 years bricked, recovered from dead & modded with antennas and new agn radio now incredible "NA mixed" on Brainslayer's , repeater at my garage, modding as hobby (picture)
All at service.

Kong said: Yeah that stupid 30/30/30. I already said it multiple times on newer units build in the last 2 years this is not the way to do it Smile
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
You cannot assign one band to receive and another to transmit. Wifi is BI directional. Always.

yes u can according to sash & brainslayer, tried it & was unable to make it work but the minimal directions i got were poor + bad english & the wiki for it is outdated as ever

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/6174 ---> DD-WRT v3.0-r44048 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L ------------------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r44062 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L ------------------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r44062 std
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 ------------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r44062 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 -------------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r44048 std

If you use DSLReports please enable hi-res bufferbloat.

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway..
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
Murrkf wrote:

yes u can according to sash & brainslayer, tried it & was unable to make it work but the minimal directions i got were poor + bad english & the wiki for it is outdated as ever

No. You can't. Routers need to hear not just yell. Wifi ALWAYS needs to be bidirectional. It can't work in one direction only. You can't choose to change a duplex system into a simplex system.

Jfrancais. Search for and read the catfish thread. You need to move your routers, not try to fix poor attenuation with antennas. Antennas do not increase signal, and poor design often decreases it.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I totally agree with Murrkf. Moreover, a dual band antenna has matching impedance at both 2.4G and 5G. But a signal band antenna has matching impedance at only one band and unknown impedance at the other band, the result is that there is large reflection of signal at the other band and eventually it will burn out the transceiver. So it is a NO, NO. Don't try that. I think it is better to spend the money on another router as repeater instead of spending it on directional antenna.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: