Is T-Mobile modified Asus RT68 upgradeable to DD-wrt?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got mine many moons ago and there seems to be some CFE changes that where made to the newer versions. Some in the thread talk that they are still upgradable if you dont hook them to the internet before the upgrade. But I cant confirm that. Perhaps someone with a unit from the last few months can offer more info. Make sure you read through the thread and I believe there is also another thread that this was talked about.
AcuraKidd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I actually already have dd-wrt on mines but need to return this router back to tmobile. Anyone can guide me through how to bring this back to stock firmware?
elwoodjblues
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
AcuraKidd wrote:
So I actually already have dd-wrt on mines but need to return this router back to tmobile. Anyone can guide me through how to bring this back to stock firmware?

I am not sure you have to. If they don't reflash the devices they get back before handing them to another customer, then they are being grossly negligent. Rolling Eyes
AcuraKidd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
elwoodjblues wrote:
AcuraKidd wrote:

I am not sure you have to. If they don't reflash the devices they get back before handing them to another customer, then they are being grossly negligent. Rolling Eyes

I'm just afraid they'll end up charging me for messing with the device firmware...since technically we're leasing this from them and don't own it
GJW
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
AcuraKidd wrote:
elwoodjblues wrote:
AcuraKidd wrote:

I'm just afraid they'll end up charging me for messing with the device firmware...since technically we're leasing this from them and don't own it

If you didn't update the CFE, just load the latest version of the standard RT-AC68 firmware. Start the router up with the Asus firmware running, and it should immediately tell you there's a new version of firmware - when you download and install it, you should be back running the T-Mobile version of the firmware.

On the other hand, if you did change the CFE, you have to apply the original CFE back, and then follow the above procedure.
nanunoran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 19:07    Post subject: what did i screw up Reply with quote
out of box i downgraded firmware to 1703 by putting router in rescue mode, changed cfe to 1020, but then it wouldnt let me flash any trx in rescue mode again, so i flashed 2121 cfe, unfortunately right after that it got automatically upgraded to latest tmo firmware 3.0.0.4.376.3002, now I cant get TELNET access at all, i tried rescue mode but it wouldnt downgrade anymore (nor would it let me flash any other trx) i tried the HTML edit solution to get telnet access but that didnt work either. am i totally locked out of editing with 3002 firmware? can any1 help?
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
@nanunoran: Did you try to regain telnet capability with this process:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=976430

Have you tried using the wiki:

http://tinyurl.com/asuscellspot

I can not help but wonder if the offending CFE can be edited (hex editor) to alter either the DNS or IP address that provides (forces install) of the T-Mobile firmware. Although this would be simpler than patching a donor CFE, I can NOT be sure that is host to other problems.

sandog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a TM AC1900 looking to speed it up. Where should I start
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
sandog wrote:
I have a TM AC1900 looking to speed it up. Where should I start

If you need greater wifi speed, then consider purchasing the latest Asus router. Firmware upgrades does not confer speed advantage.

If you can wire your high bandwidth devices (NAS, Video Player, etc) into your network, you will enjoy the best of speed / security / reliability.

cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
i guess you would also have to define speed it up as thats a bit fuzzy. 10mb is fast to someone on 1mb and 200 mb is slow to someone on gig. generally you should expect 200+ mb across this device. i have much loaded into mine and it also handles my 150 at line right without issue.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
cdmarshall wrote:
i guess you would also have to define speed it up as thats a bit fuzzy. 10mb is fast to someone on 1mb and 200 mb is slow to someone on gig. generally you should expect 200+ mb across this device. i have much loaded into mine and it also handles my 150 at line right without issue.

Agreed. As I understand changing firmware: especially leaping from software lines: AsusWRT to DD-WRT invariably slows performance, but increase functional capability. The reason that I use AsusWRT Merlin on my TMO router is not to speed it up, but to maintain stock speed and add capability. As I understand, stock speed is generally the upper limit. If this is not right, I'd like to know.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: