QoS: Service-Priority=Port(-Range)

mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:41    Post subject: QoS: Service-Priority=Port(-Range) Reply with quote
At the QoS-settings, there're selectable services, but they're listed with [0 ~ 0]. Are these Layer 7 filters or is it the same as definig ports for the services?

Last edited by mittelhessen on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:02; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, they are l7 and, on some routers (kernel 3.10 and higher), nDPI filters... 0 ~ 0 means that router inspect traffic on all ports to be mangled...
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your answer!

This means, that l7-filtering will be more reliable (but perhaps use a little bit more cpu-power)? Are there any disadvantages for using these predefined l7-filters instead of self-defining ports?

Where can i see the kernel of the running dd-wrt version?
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can see kernel info on Sysinfo tab. In my expirience l7 filters are outdated and you want caught almost anything with it. See this http://wand.net.nz/sites/default/files/justtable.pdf

I know that lots of people says that QoS is CPU intensive but I didn't had such expirience... I always get 0.05, 0.00 0.00 when torrenting at the same time watching youtube etc... But VPN and VAPs make my router CPU go higher... And I have very cheap routers...

Quote:
nDPI is a ntop-maintained superset of the popular OpenDPI library. Released under the LGPL license, its goal is to extend the original library by adding new protocols that are otherwise available only on the paid version of OpenDPI. In addition to Unix platforms, we also support Windows, in order to provide you a cross-platform DPI experience. Furthermore, we have modified nDPI do be more suitable for traffic monitoring applications, by disabling specific features that slow down the DPI engine while being them un-necessary for network traffic monitoring.

nDPI is used by both ntop and nProbe for adding application-layer detection of protocols, regardless of the port being used. This means that it is possible to both detect known protocols on non-standard ports (e.g. detect http non ports other than 80), and also the opposite (e.g. detect Skype traffic on port 80). This is because nowadays the concept of port=application no longer holds.
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mile-Lile wrote:

You can see kernel info on Sysinfo tab.

I've already had a look at the Sys-Info tab but i can't see there the kernel-version anywhere! :-/

Mile-Lile wrote:

I know that lots of people says that QoS is CPU intensive but I didn't had such expirience...

I'm running qos at the very old (but good) WRT54GL which only has a 200 mhz cpu. I overclocked it to 250 mhz, which runs very reliable. But i think it can't compete with some newer models which have a much more modern cpu-architecture, more RAM and frequencies beyond 400 mhz.
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, you are right. 250Mhz is slow.

Here is kernel info

And this is how I set it up long time ago...

tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mile-Lile wrote:
Oh, you are right. 250Mhz is slow.

Here is kernel info

And this is how I set it up long time ago...

ack priority checked is bugged, overrides upload limit

http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/3366

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Like everythig in ddwrt, it is working for someone and for someone not...
I just checked it, it is working for me but I don't have fq_codel choice etc.
I decreased upload limit to 300 and did speedtest and it limits upload limit with ACK checked... Maybe different kernels or iptables or whatsoever?
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mile-Lile wrote:

Here is kernel info

There's no such line at my WRT54GL! Sad

Primary, i configured qos for the clients (IP-based). The service prioritizing has just the second priority.
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think WRT54GL (r14929) uses kernel 2.6, am a right? So this means, there're no nDPI-filters but only old (and outdated) l7-filters. When i have a look at your linked pdf, this doesn't seem to work very reliable.

So would it be more reliable to define the ports for the services or would it be possible to combine(!) the predefines l7-filters with self-defined ports?
Klaus-Bertram
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
The thing is, QoS in DD-WRT is good, but could be optimized by just make people let create theyre own rules. See my post here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279307
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: