QOS and IPv6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Arkoth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:15    Post subject: QOS and IPv6 Reply with quote
Hello,

I enable QOS on my RT-AC68U (Firmware:DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/23/15) std), it works good with IPv4.
But when I enable IPv6 with the rooter then QOS don't work with IPv6 adress.

I test youtube :
- QOS ok if I disable IPv6 : my download speed is limited by my QOS rules, ping is good 50ms.
- but QOS don't work if I enable IPv6 : download speed use my full internet bandwidth and my ping up to 400ms and more.
I try also the speedtest of my ISP ( http://proof.ovh.net/ ): on this speed test I can use IPv4 or IPv6 to test, same as youtube ( QOS ok for IPv4 and not ok for IPv6 ).

What can I do ?
Do I forget a setting for QOS with IPv6 ?

Thank you for your help Wink
Sponsor
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Download speed is not throttled in QoS when using ipv6 (only upload speed is) and i suspect its the way the ipv6 header is designed vs the old ipv4 header as it has less sections for defining router quality of control and simplifies it into its own form of QoS (the ipv6 header has the ability to assign QoS labels without a seperate service running on the router).

But as for bandwidth limiting with ipv6, we need to implement a different mechanism to deal with ipv6
headers. I chose dd-wrt because it has working ipv6 and bandwidth throttling to solve the bufferbloat issue, but also use ipv6. For now keep QoS enabled and we must wait or if anyone else has the answer to limiting ipv6 traffic for them to share. Ipv6 isnt widespread yet so anything latency intensive like gaming or voip will still mostly be over ipv4 for the time being.
Arkoth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I will disable IPv6 until QOS work with it...
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im saying it is fine to keep ipv6 enabled with QoS. You just wont see download speed being throttled. Only ipv4 download/upload and ipv6 upload.

You would still be solving the upload bufferbloat situation with ipv6.
Arkoth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I prefer QOS IPv4 which work great until IPv6 work fully (upload and download).

I have a cisco SPA112 for my VOIP, if I don't set the QOS, the VOIP is not good... same if I play videogames...

ok to have IPv6 (it's the future) but if QOS don't work with IPv6 and a member of my familly is going on youtube for example, I will have problems with my VOIP.

So, no IPv6 for me until QOS will be full compatible Wink
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
400ms does seem like alot for the queue at your isp's dslam, cmts, ont, etc.

But i understand now. sorry for being forceful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: