Linksys ea6900 almost bricked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Biller007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 16:03    Post subject: Linksys ea6900 almost bricked Reply with quote
Good morning,

I have a ea6900 that I loaded with DD WRT software. Everything went fine, other then I lost my radio signals. I tried updating and changing the freq nothing helped. Strange thing is the router would keep going back to the factory software on its own.

After not being able to make the wireless work I loaded the factory back on it. this is where it bad.

The router still routes if im connected to it I have internet ect. I can ping it with no issues.

The web interface will start to let me log on, if you put a bad password in it wont let you continue..When I put the default password in it will try to connect. It then gives me an error and will not go any further.

Im guessing the software is corrupted but not enough to be totally bricked. Does anyone have an input as to what I could try next? Im not sure the ftp route will work ad I think it had a bad version of the inksys sofware on it, and was never set to allow it.
I bought a new router already but I would love to bring this back from the dead if its possible... Thanks for reading any help would be great.

Info I have:

Lights on the router are functioning like normal

When I ping it I get
reply from 192.168.1.1 bytes = 32 time <1ms ttl 64
It does this 4 times then says 0 packets lost

I do get ttl 100 for about 30 secs after I boot the router.

It will allow me on the net if im connected directly to it.

reply from
Sponsor
Biller007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 17:24    Post subject: update Reply with quote
I tried the ftp. I continued to ping it after it booted it will start the flash after around 20 pings gets to 3/4 of the way and stops. I am using a version of DD WRT to flash to it. It seems like there is a small window and the time runs out on the window of opportunity.

Is there a small version of software I could put on it? Or do I need to just keep trying with what I am using?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Re download and try to flash oem firmware for the router. Robb sent me information about a separate Nvram partition for the cfe that can be ruined if the Nvram is erased improperly. That might be related to your problem as well.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Biller007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tired that it worked but I get the same result. still cant connect from the web. But it does load completely.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are able to load your webgui at the proper IP address of your router, then you need to look elsewhere for your problem or post much better info on what is happening and how/what is set up. See the wiki and the forum announcements.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Biller007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am able to load it, it comes up with the Linksys start page, it asks for a password, I type in the admin and it will either hang there and do nothing or it will come back with a error.

After I flashed the stock back to it, it started the set up, then told me it was not set up and there was an error contact Linksys. So the browser sees it and knows its a Linksys, but will not communicate any further with the router.
_Robb_
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're suffering from a bad case of missing nvram variabes, which the stock firmware isn't able to recover.

Although maybe the latest stock firmware can do it.
If you're willing you could try to tftp it in.

But if you did a hard reset than you should just recover to dd-wrt.

Here's my guide how to recover:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=920100#920100

In step d) you can just as well use a Brainslayer current build.

Let us know if it works.

DO NOT 30-30-30 or erase nvram newer routers! It can brick them.

EA6700: Build 27745 (nvram below 32K, ipv6 - HE 6in4)
E4200: Build 26587
WRT54GL: Retired - waiting in the closet for an emergency.
Biller007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
This worked. I reloaded it with DD WRT and it came back to life. It has Build number 23194 on it right now. Wireless is running fast, everything seems to be functioning again with ww drt on it. should I leave this build on it or change it?
_Robb_
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Biller007 wrote:
This worked. I reloaded it with DD WRT and it came back to life. It has Build number 23194 on it right now. Wireless is running fast, everything seems to be functioning again with ww drt on it. should I leave this build on it or change it?

I would suggest the latest build, they haven't given me many problems.
Try to flash 26138 (with reset to defaults).
Remember to keep nvram below 32KB.

Biller007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im going to have to read some more.. I have learned a lot in the last 24hours lol but how do I

_Robb_
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Biller007 wrote:
Im going to have to read some more.. I have learned a lot in the last 24hours lol but how do I

On Status -> Router -> Space usage, check nvram.
Usage must be always below 32.

Disable under Services -> WAN Traffic Counter.
Don't enable ssh. It generates keys which take up alot of nvram space.

After that I can't tell you, cause it depends on your setup.
You have to limit each configuration item so you stay below 32KB.

cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
some units dont seem to have a 32k issue. mine has been running at 38 for months now. but mileage will very some begin to lose variables above 32k.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
im at 30 right now is adding vpn support going to blow me over and cause issues?
stenopete
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have EA6900. My issue is the blinking linksys light on the router.

I had ddwrt on it. I tried reinstalling stock firmware - I believe it did flash it and I did the 30/30/30 reset on it.

Afterwards it just started to flash the linksys sign on the router.

Any ideas on how I can reset this router. Thanks.

-Current Router WRT54GS-
Biller007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm new to all this myself. However I think the 30/30/30 is a no no on these routers. I never had to reset mine just flashed the factory firmware on it. Used the html loader on this site to update to dd wrt. After I flashed the factory software I could log in but the router was un responsive to do anything else.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: