Netgear R8000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
ciscodlink wrote:
@<Kong> some initial observations...

1. LAN Mac id is wrong.
2. WL2 Mac id is wrong.
3. Mac ids are interchanged compared to stock. (Wl1 has Mac id of LAN etc.)

This is all on purpose. The way Netgear implemented this causes a problem with multi VAPs.

Quote:

4. Internet/WAN led doesn't work.

Yep, if connected to 1000MBit, it does not come up, it does with 100MBit. Going to see if I can fix that.

Quote:

6. WAN can't get DHCP lease from ISP.

I just tested DHCP with connection to 100MBit Router and 1000MBit, both worked.

Quote:

7. If I change channel width for WL1 to 20+20 and apply settings...then the channel for WL1 under Status-->Wireless is stucked to "-1 + 3".

Yes, since it is on auto. See:

http://tips.desipro.de/2014/02/12/wireless-starters-guide-for-first-time-dd-wrt-users/

You have to set 20+20 ->Apply, then select lower or upper -> Apply, then choose channel -> Apply

Last edited by <Kong> on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:56; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
raven-au
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
raven-au wrote:
<Kong> wrote:

Anyways, I'm pretty much done with the R8000, I'll do some testing the next days, if it runs stable I'll merge Makefiles for arm and commit it, after that we can publish builds for it.

In that case would you be able to share what you've done?
I can't even get the switch working using the OpenWRT source but presumably you were at least able to get that far.

The complete code is already in svn. Just look at the pci probe code.

Thanks.
I thought that might be the case so I checked it out.
Haven't looked yet though, Very Happy
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Second 5G LED and WAN LED should work now, there was also a typo in my vlan ports.

Uploading a new R8000 build right now, let me know how it works.
HalfBit
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
I agree with Dave.
Not much i can comment on the initial r8000 firmware since I don't have one.
Happy running kong firm on my r7000.

I agree with Dave, and you too, Mike. No reason for me to need the R8000 firmware. I just thought from following this thread, and reading people ask for updates regularly that the release would have been followed with a little more excitement.

WRT54Gv8.2 - V24 Micro Build 22118 configured as AP
ciscodlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
ciscodlink wrote:
@<Kong> some initial observations...

1. LAN Mac id is wrong.
2. WL2 Mac id is wrong.
3. Mac ids are interchanged compared to stock. (Wl1 has Mac id of LAN etc.)

This is all on purpose. The way Netgear implemented this causes a problem with multi VAPs.

Quote:

4. Internet/WAN led doesn't work.

Yep, if connected to 1000MBit, it does not come up, it does with 100MBit. Going to see if I can fix that.

Quote:

6. WAN can't get DHCP lease from ISP.

I just tested DHCP with connection to 100MBit Router and 1000MBit, both worked.

Quote:

7. If I change channel width for WL1 to 20+20 and apply settings...then the channel for WL1 under Status-->Wireless is stucked to "-1 + 3".

Yes, since it is on auto. See:

http://tips.desipro.de/2014/02/12/wireless-starters-guide-for-first-time-dd-wrt-users/

You have to set 20+20 ->Apply, then select lower or upper -> Apply, then choose channel -> Apply

Gotcha. It just seemed odd that WL2 and lan has same exact Mac id in that build.

I just use 'nvram set lan/wan/wl0/wl1/wl2_hwaddress=xx:xx:xx...'and it seems to work but if I make any changes after that using the ddwrt GUI... The Mac id change back to the way they were.
rocky13
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 18:48    Post subject: R8000 Reply with quote
Kong, Thanks for your hard work on the new firmware for R8000. I have done some testing and found that by creating a vlan will make the router unstable. no access to router interface, I would have to default it to gain access to it again. Another issue is that DHCP is not working, gives out a unknown ip address 169.x.x.x

Thanks.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
ciscodlink wrote:

Gotcha. It just seemed odd that WL2 and lan has same exact Mac id in that build.

I just use 'nvram set lan/wan/wl0/wl1/wl2_hwaddress=xx:xx:xx...'and it seems to work but if I make any changes after that using the ddwrt GUI... The Mac id change back to the way they were.

No wl2 and lan should have different macs, if they are the same on your after reset, then there must have been a change in cfe.
ciscodlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
ciscodlink wrote:

No wl2 and lan should have different macs, if they are the same on your after reset, then there must have been a change in cfe.

Unfortunately they are same even after reset.
ciscodlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 19:48    Post subject: Re: R8000 Reply with quote
rocky13 wrote:
Kong, Thanks for your hard work on the new firmware for R8000. I have done some testing and found that by creating a vlan will make the router unstable. no access to router interface, I would have to default it to gain access to it again. Another issue is that DHCP is not working, gives out a unknown ip address 169.x.x.x

Thanks.

The reason why DHCP isn't working is because on ddwrt the wan Mac is different compare to stock and so if you don't break/release the lease before upgrading to ddwrt...your ISP won't hand out new lease until the last one expires in couple of hours.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
ciscodlink wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
ciscodlink wrote:

Already done some more fixes, build should show up in about 30min. Flash, Reset, let me know if your macs are fixed.
ciscodlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
ciscodlink wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
ciscodlink wrote:

Already done some more fixes, build should show up in about 30min. Flash, Reset, let me know if your macs are fixed.

Thanks man. I really appreciate it.

I think you should upload your R8000 build on myopenrouter so it gets bit more exposure and so more people can work with us to iron out some more bugs that you and I might've missed.
1337woody
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought you were gone Kong. Good to see you still here. I was looking to get a R8000 to replace my ac68u because im about to just light it on fire. It reboots all the time and just performs like crap. Stock, DDWRT, Merlin, they all have issues and im tired of it. Can anyone vouch for the r8000 because im ready to drop the money on it especially if Kong is working on it.
mailtrashbin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:12    Post subject: Dupe WAN MAC + wired DHCP Reply with quote
Hi Kong,

It looks like you're very popular in the DDWRT community. I see your name mentioned in quite a few forums. Anyway, I just tried the new build: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R8000.chk

...and noticed the following:
1. My WAN and Wireless MAC address show up with the same values.
2. My wired devices connected to the router are not being served any IP addresses and thus unable to get to the internet.
3. Mac Address Clone page makes the router unresponsive.

Btw, I just came from R8000's stock firmware and also tried the DDWRT build on myopenrouter and both exhibit the same bug of wireless devices connected to the router is not able to communicate with the wired devices. Wired to wireless communication is good and so is wireless to wireless. I am really hoping that your K3 build addresses the bug as this is a showstopper in my household.

I'm glad to see someone especially you back in the R8000 development. I heard that R7000 is performing stellar because of your build.

Thanks.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 22:10    Post subject: Re: Dupe WAN MAC + wired DHCP Reply with quote
mailtrashbin wrote:
Hi Kong,

It looks like you're very popular in the DDWRT community. I see your name mentioned in quite a few forums. Anyway, I just tried the new build: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R8000.chk

Logon to the router via telnet and run command:

erase nvram
reboot

After reboot check if mac adresses are correct now.
If you run wireless in client mode, then wan mac is the same as wireless mac.

Quote:

2. My wired devices connected to the router are not being served any IP addresses and thus unable to get to the internet.

Logon to the router and show me output of command:

cat /tmp/dnsmasq.conf
rocky13
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 23:08    Post subject: Re: Dupe WAN MAC + wired DHCP Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
mailtrashbin wrote:
Hi Kong,

Logon to the router via telnet and run command:

erase nvram
reboot

After reboot check if mac adresses are correct now.
If you run wireless in client mode, then wan mac is the same as wireless mac.

Quote:

Logon to the router and show me output of command:

cat /tmp/dnsmasq.conf

I am having same issue's.

cat /tmp/dnsmasq.conf
interface=br0
resolv-file=/tmp/resolv.dnsmasq
all-servers
strict-order
dhcp-leasefile=/tmp/dnsmasq.leases
dhcp-lease-max=50
dhcp-option=lan,3,192.168.1.1
dhcp-authoritative
dhcp-range=lan,192.168.1.100,192.168.1.149,255.255.255.0,1440m
stop-dns-rebind

WAN and LAN MACS are the same. Wireless MAC is different

root@DD-WRT:/tmp# nvram show | grep vlan.*ports
size: 35352 bytes (30184 left)
vlan2ports=4 8u
vlan1ports=3 2 1 0 5 7 8*
I also noticed that the ports are reversed. Lan Port 1 is actually Port 4 in GUI Vlan Section

Thanks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21, 22, 23  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 9 of 23
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: