DD-WRT Companion Android app

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
rm3l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 17:29    Post subject: DD-WRT Companion Android app Reply with quote
Hey folks!

As most people over here, I find that using mobile browsers to control DD-WRT works for some functions, but others will simply not work correctly, (e.g., saving changes to things).
I've tried several mobile apps, but couldn't find the right one (apart from the Astrill iOS app).
So I have started an Open-Source project for developing native DD-WRT apps for most mobile Operating systems, with the same set of features as from the browser.

The project is hosted on Github: https://github.com/rm3l/ddwrt-companion.

The project is still in its very early phases, but I would like to collect feedbacks and suggestions earlier.
Regarding the app look 'n feel? Suggestions about how we can collect things from DD-WRT routers? Which sections would you like to have implemented first? And so on.

At this time, I am working on the Android app, and have got management of a list of routers records working. I am actively implementing the ways to retrieve and submit commands to the router.

You can download a preview APK (some parts work with mock data) on Github: https://github.com/rm3l/ddwrt-companion-android/releases/download/1.0.0/ddwrt-companion_fdroid-release-100016.apk

Some screenshots of the Android app so far:

As this is done entirely on my spare time, donations and external contributions are more than welcome.

If anyone is willing to provide feedbacks and suggestions, that would be of great help.
If you are a Droid Guru, you can contribute by forking the Github repo, and submitting pull requests.
Donations are also more than welcome to help support the project: https://pledgie.com/campaigns/27531

Thanks!

-- rm3l

EDIT: App landing page is https://ddwrt-companion.app/

Last edited by rm3l on Fri Mar 27, 2015 21:16; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks neat.

To bad I'm short of Android-Devices to test for now.
rm3l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
justyourimage wrote:
Looks neat.

To bad I'm short of Android-Devices to test for now.

Thanks. Let me know when you get one, so I can have you onboard too. Wink
btw, which mobile operating system(s) do you have currently (simple survey to help prioritise the next OS to be supported)?
justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I forgot I had an MiniX Neo X7 Mini with Android 4.x sitting around. It 's for my TV so I guess I can test it there (just with 1080p Very Happy). I could test it on the Samsung S4 Mini and some Huawei Smartphone when my nephews visit me in the holidays as well (somewhen in December).

Aside from that I have readily available right now:

iPhone 5s running iOS 8.1
iPhone 5c running iOS 7
iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1 (jailbroken)
iPad 3 running iOS 5.1.1 (jailbroken)
MiniX NEO X7 Mini running Android 4.x (I think it was 4.1 or 4.0 - didn't check yet)

iOS 5 compatibility would be nice since there are many older devices and 3rd-party applications in Cydia (yea jailbroken) that don't work prior. But I would understand if it 's impossible (didn't look at the iOS SDK for a long time so I don't know if they dropped backwards compatibility - knowing Apples recent movements it might be entirely possible)

Forgot to add - I'm also able to test the following Routers:

Netgear R7000 (DD-WRT 25408)
Asus AC66U (DD-WRT Kong 24350 OLDD)
Asus N66U (MerlinWRT 340.43 but can flash that forward and backward as needed since it 's just a simple Client-Replacement)
Linksys E2000 (Tomato v121 VPN)
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
post this in the general forums as well or the ath forums may get better feedback'
chchia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
great, i was using the router connect apk but it is lack of feature, your program looks much promising.

i installed it,
1. in the status i can see ROUTER,
2. WAN, LAN take long time to loading,
3. WIRELESS not showing anything
4. BANDWIDTH only showed interface, and there is no graph
5. SYSLOG is not showing anything
6. All other tab show No Data Feature Coming Soon!

anyway, this is a great idea to have this tools.
Gaudi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great idea and great tool!

Will it auto update, or at least notify of updates?
rm3l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all your responses.
Been busy with, you know, all that X-mas stuff... Smile

But I've updated the app with bug fixes and some UI changes.

Regarding the updates cycle, I've created an F-Droid repo - so you can install F-Droid app (which is an Android aftermarket for Free, Libre and Open-Source apps), and add my repo in it.

F-Droid App: https://f-droid.org/
My repo: http://rm3l.org/fdroid/repo/

Then you will see the 'DD-WRT Companion' app. I will push to the repo regularly, and F-Droid will automagically notify you of any updates.

To support this work (which, again, is done on my spare time), I've also uploaded to Google Play Store as a paid app for you to download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.rm3l.ddwrt

The F-Droid version is the same as the Play Store version, but contains a donation link in the app - so feel free to donate to support this work.

Thanks for your feedback (and contributions).
rm3l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there!

Thanks for all those people who have provided valuable feedback and support so far.

So I've updated the DD-WRT Companion app with some performance and bug fixes, along with some features (most requested by users):

- Clicking on a Wireless client Device (in 'Status > Wireless > Clients' tab) now opens up a page where you can see the devices network cards manufacturers (if available)
- Added a new Dark theme, with the ability to switch between Light and Dark themes
- VPN logs
- Added a new "Admin Area" menu item: NVRAM variables listing and editing
- Ability to share NVRAM variables as a file

Update (version 1.1.0) will be rolled out to devices within a few hours on Play Store and F-Droid.

Feel free to report again any other suggestion or issue you might come across.

Thanks for your support and contribution so far.

New screenshots of this version:

-- rm3l
CM000n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your work. I've just bought the app.
Really a good addition to my DD-WRT router Very Happy
I will provide you with feedback, if I encounter some Bugs/Problems.

Thank you very much so far Wink
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very very good idea! Smile

I'd like to test the app on my android device with my two dd-wrt routers (atheros & broadcom) if i've got a little bit more time.

But first of all, i want to link to an still existing app for android to monitor the wan-traffic of all connected clients and switch wan-access on/off for each of them:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=161474

My question is, if such a bandwidth monitoring could be implemented in your app. I've got no need to configure the router every day or week and it's much more comfortable and reliable to do this from a real pc than from a smartphone/tablet. But if wan-speed slowes down, i really have a good lock which clients are causing this quickly with my smartphone.
CM000n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I played around now a few times with the app and most things seem to work fine.

I have encountered just one small problem with the auto-refresh for the router data. When I open the App everything loads fine and it shows me the data of my router:

But when it trys to refresh the data automatically after 30 seconds I get a "java.net.SocketException":

Also it doesn't fetch any data for the Router CPU (see pictures above). But that maybe depends on my Router Model? (Cisco Linksys EA6500 v1).

And btw: Yes, It wpuld be really cool if you can implement the features of WRTGate for your App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sweetsoft.gatekeeper&hl=de Smile

Thanks in advance for you work Wink
rm3l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Guys for your feedbacks - that is really of great help.

@CM000n: I've investigated earlier today and found the SocketException may occur in some cases where the app opens too many connections to the router. I am working on minimising the number of SSH sessions from the app to the router. So this will be fixed in the next release.

@mittelhessen and @CM000n: With regards to the per-client bandwidth monitoring, I agree this is something that might be great to have. I have put this in my todo list plate and will work on it as soon as possible. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know when this gets done.

-- rm3l
CM000n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
THX a lot. Do you have any idea why i can see no cpu information?
rm3l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
CM000n wrote:
THX a lot. Do you have any idea why i can see no cpu information?

I've just released a new version of the app, with a bunch of reliability fixes to SSH connection handling.
Update will be rolled out to devices within a few hours on Play Store and F-Droid.
Can you check with this version (1.2.0) and let me know if you have all the information?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: