How a spontaneous Revert to Previous Builds occurs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gigabitGeyser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: Linksys EA6500 V2
Firmware: 12-15-2014-r25648
Reset: No
Errors: None
Notes: Previous installed version, 25628 reverted after 12 hrs to previous, previous version, 25309. 25648 hasn't reverted to date. Successfully running Privoxy with ABP. Thanks justyourimage !
Sponsor
gigabitGeyser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
ZzyzxTek wrote:
gigabitGeyser wrote:
Notes: Previous installed version, 25628 reverted after 12 hrs to previous, previous version, 25309. 25648 hasn't reverted to date.

Just curious... Are you saying that, *on its own*, the router reverts back to a previous version? Or *you* reverted it back?

If it does it on its own, how exactly does that happen? Does it download a prior build and install it, or what? And is there a way to stop that "feature"?

First off, it reverted on its own after doing a factory reset. I did not upload the previous firmware and I do not think it is due to browser caching router webpage as when I telnet into router shell says the same version as the webpage. As explained below, a factory reset is needed to bring the 2.4 GHz band back up after it inexplicably goes down.

Following explanation might be a long winded but I will describe what happened before it reverted. To the best of my recollection, I successfully upgraded to 25628 from 25309. Then, during/after the course of making modifications to the settings, the 2.4 GHz band quit broadcasting (the 2.4GHz band dropped multiple times and doing a factory reset immediately fixed the problem). I.e., if I look on the Status/Router page, it does not show a temperature for the wl0 (2.4 GHz radio) and the Status/Wireless page says the speed is something absurd like 480 Mbps for wl0.

My suspension, and I could be wrong, is the issues causing this was either enabling jffs, ssh, or removing the thumb drive without properly unmounting it. I was under the impression I needed jffs to use a usb thumb drive for file storage. Instead, I found success with formatting the thumb drive as an ext2 partition, labeled it jffs, and enabled automount USB in the Services/USB tab (jffs2 support NOT enabled). Then, needed ssh to put the files for Privoxy on the thumb drive using putty to SFTP (could have used Linux live disk but wanted to use already online Windows machine). After making these settings and rebooting the router the 2.4 GHz band would sporadically go down after an unspecified period of time (could be hours).

As eluded to earlier, not sure what was causing the problem, but, as of right now, 25648 has been running strong for a few days. I also use cron to reboot the router daily and have not had the 2.4 GHz band drop off after a reboot.
_Robb_
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
gigabitGeyser wrote:
ZzyzxTek wrote:
gigabitGeyser wrote:
Notes: Previous installed version, 25628 reverted after 12 hrs to previous, previous version, 25309. 25648 hasn't reverted to date.

Just curious... Are you saying that, *on its own*, the router reverts back to a previous version? Or *you* reverted it back?

If it does it on its own, how exactly does that happen? Does it download a prior build and install it, or what? And is there a way to stop that "feature"?

First off, it reverted on its own after doing a factory reset. I did not upload the previous firmware and I do not think it is due to browser caching router webpage as when I telnet into router shell says the same version as the webpage. As explained below, a factory reset is needed to bring the 2.4 GHz band back up after it inexplicably goes down.

Following explanation might be a long winded but I will describe what happened before it reverted. To the best of my recollection, I successfully upgraded to 25628 from 25309. Then, during/after the course of making modifications to the settings, the 2.4 GHz band quit broadcasting (the 2.4GHz band dropped multiple times and doing a factory reset immediately fixed the problem). I.e., if I look on the Status/Router page, it does not show a temperature for the wl0 (2.4 GHz radio) and the Status/Wireless page says the speed is something absurd like 480 Mbps for wl0.

My suspension, and I could be wrong, is the issues causing this was either enabling jffs, ssh, or removing the thumb drive without properly unmounting it. I was under the impression I needed jffs to use a usb thumb drive for file storage. Instead, I found success with formatting the thumb drive as an ext2 partition, labeled it jffs, and enabled automount USB in the Services/USB tab (jffs2 support NOT enabled). Then, needed ssh to put the files for Privoxy on the thumb drive using putty to SFTP (could have used Linux live disk but wanted to use already online Windows machine). After making these settings and rebooting the router the 2.4 GHz band would sporadically go down after an unspecified period of time (could be hours).

As eluded to earlier, not sure what was causing the problem, but, as of right now, 25648 has been running strong for a few days. I also use cron to reboot the router daily and have not had the 2.4 GHz band drop off after a reboot.

This is the cfe 32K nvram bug.
Nothing to do with dd-wrt.
Using ssh you go over 32k.
Read the linksys EA(6500/6700/6900) threads.

DO NOT 30-30-30 or erase nvram newer routers! It can brick them.

EA6700: Build 27745 (nvram below 32K, ipv6 - HE 6in4)
E4200: Build 26587
WRT54GL: Retired - waiting in the closet for an emergency.
_Robb_
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
As far as I am aware there is no built in way for ddwrt to self-revert to another build without user input.

In this case due to the 32k nvram bug it is possible.
In nvram bootpartition variable can be 0 or 1.
On partition 0 he had the previous version.
On partitoin 1 he had the newer version.

When he activated ssh, the bootpartition variable was stored over the 32k nvram and therfore lost, so it defaulted to a value of 0.
Hence he loaded the firmware from partition 0 (old firmware)

DO NOT 30-30-30 or erase nvram newer routers! It can brick them.

EA6700: Build 27745 (nvram below 32K, ipv6 - HE 6in4)
E4200: Build 26587
WRT54GL: Retired - waiting in the closet for an emergency.

Last edited by _Robb_ on Sun Mar 01, 2015 14:38; edited 1 time in total
gigabitGeyser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
_Robb_ wrote:
slidermike wrote:
As far as I am aware there is no built in way for ddwrt to self-revert to another build without user input.

In this case due to the 32k nvram bug it is possible.
In nvram bootpartition variable can be 0 or 1.
On partition 0 he had the previous version.
On partitoin 1he had the newer version.

When he activated ssh, the bootpartition variable was stored over the 32k nvram and therfore lost, so it defaulted to a value of 0.
Hence he loaded the firmware from partition 0 (old firmware)

Thanks _Robb_ for the explaination. Appreciate learning that the hardware is causing the issue and not dd-wrt. Bought router for 75 USD refurbished and didn't expect it would be without flaws. Telnet is sufficient to remote into the router so I'll be avoiding enabling SSH to prefent 32k NVRAM bug from occuring. Thanks again.
gigabitGeyser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
_Robb_ wrote:
gigabitGeyser wrote:
ZzyzxTek wrote:
gigabitGeyser wrote:

This is the cfe 32K nvram bug.
Nothing to do with dd-wrt.
Using ssh you go over 32k.
Read the linksys EA(6500/6700/6900) threads.

Woke up this morning and Privoxy let me know the router reverted from 25648 to 25309 after it's daily self restart; 25309 has Privoxy 3.0.21 and 25648 has Privoxy 3.0.22.

Seeking out some advice, should I reinstall 25648 or just leave it on 25309? I'd prefer to have the most current version of Privoxy. Fortunately, the ABP+Privoxy script by justyourimage seems to be working with Privoxy 3.0.21. What information could I provide to help narrow down what's causing the revert? If effortless, could someone point me to the location of the 32k NVRAM bug discussion? If not, no worries, if I remember there is a long (30+ pages) thread about the EA6500, I will look there, and/or perform a forum search for the 32k NVRAM bug.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: