Buffalo WHR-600D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
templeofdoom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
OK, so is the Arduino required to get a serial terminal to the router on the header pins?

Answering my own question, it appears that an Arduino in tri-state mode is required for some reason. I'm now getting the console to appear correctly and interact with it to start the TFTP. Serial connection to a traditional serial port didn't work at all, regardless of baud rate or terminal settings. Baud rate that works is 57600.

I did get the bricked WHR-600D to reload with the above guide from jspace, and I did use the unedited dd-wrt "firmware.uimage" rev.24461 with success.

Thanks guys!
Sponsor
Jarkko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again everyone.

Previous Buffalo moved to new home a while back, and now I own this one, since that last one (WHR-G300N v1) was so great. Over year of uptime, no glitches etc.

Well, this one isn't, at least not yet Crying or Very sad

First thing when I got it was to install Buffalo's own Professional FW, since I live in EU this was "possible" Laughing

Problems soon came into picture, almost half the reboots resulted in 5GHz wireless to be nowhere to find and router model was WHR-G300HP (or something like that...) Question

So, maybe original DD-WRT would fix the problem? No, it didn't,r25628 was a small disaster, no WAN even with static settings, same 5GHz wireless missing, boot loops and so on.

Spent one evening trying to get it back to somewhat working condition, persistent flashes (TFTPD) finally produced result. Seems that there is no easy (meaning GUI flash) way back to Buffalo-DD-WRT from "real" DD-WRT?

Other strange things (or are they normal?) happened here too, when factory 1.60 (without header) was flashed via TFTP, first boot showed Buffalo's own GUI, but after reboot there was DD-WRT again... no idea what that was.

Now I'm back at Buffalo-WRT, and trying to live with these oddities until new FW is released, if there will be any.

edit: like so.. rebooted just to demonstrate Sad

Last edited by Jarkko on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:43; edited 2 times in total
jspace
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
templeofdoom wrote:
Quote:
OK, so is the Arduino required to get a serial terminal to the router on the header pins?

Answering my own question, it appears that an Arduino in tri-state mode is required for some reason. I'm now getting the console to appear correctly and interact with it to start the TFTP. Serial connection to a traditional serial port didn't work at all, regardless of baud rate or terminal settings. Baud rate that works is 57600.

I did get the bricked WHR-600D to reload with the above guide from jspace, and I did use the unedited dd-wrt "firmware.uimage" rev.24461 with success.

Thanks guys!

I'm glad that my procedure has contributed to help you!

I'm not expert of Arduino...

I just want inform that to establish the serial TTL connection with the WHR-600D I used a cheap PL2303HXA USB to TTL serial cable/converter.
Please note that Windows 8/8.1 are not officially supported in PL-2303HXA. Is fine for Windows 7.
PL-2303HXD is officially supported by Win 8/8.1

As serial terminal I used "Parallax Serial Terminal" (is an exe that don't require installation). On it just need to set COM, Baud Rate 57600, Prefs -> Function -> remove the tag from "(10)=Line feed" and from "Automatically disable (close port)..." -> OK. Then on the main window just press enable/disable to open or close the connection.
jspace
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jarkko wrote:
Spent one evening trying to get it back to somewhat working condition, persistent flashes (TFTPD) finally produced result. Seems that there is no easy (meaning GUI flash) way back to Buffalo-DD-WRT from "real" DD-WRT?

The "Buffalo-DD-WRT pro" is somehow a "factory firmware", so isn't possible to way back to "Buffalo-DD-WRT pro" from "normal DD-WRT" using the GUI.

Jarkko wrote:
Other strange things (or are they normal?) happened here too, when factory 1.60 (without header) was flashed via TFTP, first boot showed Buffalo's own GUI, but after reboot there was DD-WRT again... no idea what that was.

Can you explain me how did you flash via TFTP? Did you use step by step my procedure on previous post or you made some "variation"? In this case can you tell me what is your variation of my procedure?
Thank you!
Jarkko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothing fancy, just set up TFTPD, renamed factory 1.60 to firmware_WHR-600D.ram (after stripping header info) and rebooted. But as said, flashing itself took some effort to compelete despite router downloading file just fine. After that was done reflashed Buffalo-dd-wrt via GUI.

Router wasn't bricked, so no panic. Just extremely unstable/features missing.
jspace
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jarkko wrote:
Nothing fancy, just set up TFTPD, renamed factory 1.60 to firmware_WHR-600D.ram (after stripping header info) and rebooted. But as said, flashing itself took some effort to compelete despite router downloading file just fine. After that was done reflashed Buffalo-dd-wrt via GUI.

Router wasn't bricked, so no panic. Just extremely unstable/features missing.

So, starting with "Standard DD-WRT" installed, did you restore "factory firmware / Buffalo-dd-wrt" without using the serial connection?
Jarkko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's right, bit easier than expected after reading what others have had to do.

And "Boot wait" was enabled, but can't remember if this is even relevant to TFTP flashes.

I ran through few DD-WRT builds before restoring original, just to see which one would be less unstable, if any. Found out that 23xxx-builds seemed to be better than newer ones, those at least enabled both Wifi frequencies but also gave bootloops.
jspace
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 15:27    Post subject: How to unbrick / restore factory firmware on Buffalo WHR-600 Reply with quote
How to unbrick / restore factory firmware on Buffalo WHR-600D
*This procedure do not require the serial connection*

17dec2014 Procedure rev. 2.1 (upd 18dec2014)

01 - Download original factory firmware (for example "whr600d-160").
02 - Open it with hex editor (I used frhed 1.6.0).
03 - Delete the first 52 bytes (is the header). After that you'll see that the file will start with this bytes sequence "27 05 19 56".
04 - Save the edited firmware in the TFTP server folder with the name "firmware_WHR-600D.ram".
05 - Set static IP on PC side "192.168.11.168" and run TFTP server (I used TFTPD32).
06 - Now we are ready to load the firmware to the router RAM using the TFTP (Load system code to SDRAM via TFTP).
07 - Check that now the router is off with the mode switch set to "Auto" position, the network cable connected to any LAN port (1-4).
08 - Keep pressed "AOSS" button, plug the power to the router and after 5-6 seconds release the "AOSS" button. *
09 - Now the TFTP server should send the firmware to the RAM of the router (will not write to the flash memory)
10 - When the firmware transfer will be completed the router will reboot itself, after some seconds the power led will start to blink.
11 - When the power led will stop to blink (after about 85 seconds from step "08") it's possible to access to the router web interface (192.168.11.1).
12 - User=admin - password=password
13 - If everything gone right you should see the factory firmware running (but now we must write the firmware on the flash memory, otherwise on the next boot we'll have the previous firmware / condition).
14 - Now from the web interface press "Admin" and then "Update". Select the ORIGINAL factory firmware (like "whr600d-160" - the downloaded one that have his header) and press update. Now the firmware will be written on the flash memory.
15 - We have restored the factory firmware.
16 - You may now terminate the TFTP server and restore automatic IP on your PC network controller.

DONE!

- Now from the web interface is possible also to flash the original "WHR-600D professional firmware (dd-wrt based)". If after reboot appear very simple and strange web gui interface you may just do the hard reset with the reset button to fix it.

I hope that this procedure will help you to unbrick and/or restore the desired firmware.

Thanks to Jarkko that inspired me to make my previous procedure more affordable without the needing to use the TTL serial connection.

* Jarkko succesfully accomplished this procedure without press "AOSS" button. I done various tests without press "AOSS" button unsuccessfully. Also looking the serial console looks impossible to do it without press "AOSS" on my WHR-600D. I suppose that may exist a different hardware revision or differnt U-boot.

Last edited by jspace on Thu Dec 18, 2014 13:20; edited 1 time in total
Jarkko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
With one small detail / exception, AOSS-button wasn't required in my case. Just set up TFTPD and power up. I would imagine that this behaves same as WHR-G300N bootcode which also always checked FTP server existence at bootup. Or maybe not and this was just another hickup Very Happy
taydu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
thank you for the detail instruction, got it unbricked
GornNR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
First, Sorry to bump an old thread but google'ing "Buffalo 600D DD-WRT WAN" pops this post up as the first link (currently anyhow).

So, I want to say Thank you to JSpace for the process steps of doing a full factory reset. This helped my reset to continue testing.

-Back Story-
Recently got a WHR-600N to replace a current buffalo router that is acting up and possibly having a slow death. First thing I did was grab the latest beta (26138). Upon flashing, the diagnostic light goes solid part way through firmware flash and stays on until reboot, which the router then boot-loops. 30/30/30 and the router will stay up but Diagnostics light stays solid. Most functions work but WAN refuses to pick up an IP from the DHCP.

Here is what I have found. Any beta will work up until 24461 (24461 works). I tested 25251 and the WAN port / Lan settings seem to have severe issues, during reboot the WAN will act as a LAN port and the PC can pick an IP address from the next level up. Extremely odd. Even setting a manual IP address would not yield any connectivity.

If you are on the Stock WHR-600D firmware, flash to DD-WRT using the firmware-XX.bin and once you are on DD-WRT you can use the webflash.bin file.

--
---
TL;DR: If you have a WHR-600D Flash with DD-WRT 24461 OR EARLIER.
rmharris157
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:57    Post subject: WHR-600D unbricking attempts failing. Reply with quote
JSpace and all,

I've followed the steps you provided multiple times, but something's wrong and I need some help...

- I set up a tftpd server on a ethernet-connected Linux box.
- I unplug the router.
- I hold down the AOSS button and plug the router back in.
- I hold the button down for 5 seconds and watch wireshark successfully request the stock Buffalo image with the 52 header bytes removed.
- After about a minute, the lights on the front of the router start blinking and the the router starts answering pings on 192.168.11.1. If I'm fast, I can get a web browser to hit the admin page for the router, but...
- After about 30 more seconds, the top two green lights stay on, the lower orange light stays on and then the router stops answering pings and no longer response to access to the web interface, almost as if it's hung. I can't seem to get into it fast enough to figure out what's wrong.

I also can't seem to get any other (DD-WRT/OpenWRT) firmware images to load. Can someone give me some ideas of what to check next or what image filename, specifically, I should be able to tftp into it to get it to boot using the above method? I'd rather not crack it open if I can help it.

Thanks.
--Rob Harris
novacoresystems
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:20    Post subject: WHR-600D firmware Reply with quote
Does anyone know how close we are to having a stable/working release of firmware for the WHR-600D ?
cshort
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to install DD-WRT on my Buffalo WHR-600D. I tried the TFTP instructions and the Dicksons’ instructions. I wasn’t able to get either to work. Finally, I just used the factory firmware update. Below are the steps I followed on my Windows 7 Home Premium laptop using IE 11. I’m not certain all these steps are necessary, but it did work.
1. Download the firmware from Other Downloads > betas > 2014 > 06-23-2014-r24461 > buffalo_whr_600d. Select file ‘firmware-us.bin’.
2. Set your computer to obtain an IP address automatically.
3. Connect to router on 192.168.11.1
4. On the Router WebGUI, click ‘Log out’ in upper right. This is necessary so the router doesn’t think you are trying to log in twice.
5. Change your computer IP address to 192.168.11.7 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
6. Connect to router on 192.168.11.1
7. Used factory WebGUI to update firmware
8. 30-30-30 hard restart
9. Connect to the router on 192.168.1.1
10. Power cycle

Hopefully this will help others.
dogk1cker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guys...has anyone tried the latest beta version for the whr_600d???

Downloads/betas/2015/10-09-2015-r27944/buffalo_whr_600d
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: