Image of Serial Connection to EA2700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
varidian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:41    Post subject: Image of Serial Connection to EA2700 Reply with quote
Hey everybody,

I was reading this link from the site:
https://secure.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153481&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And on Fractals initial post he had an image I believe of how to correctly solder a serial connection to this router, but the picture is gone now. I was wondering if anybody has this picture or can help? It would help tremendously as I am trying to restore this router.

Thanks,
Varidian

Last edited by varidian on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:45; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Show us a picture of your pcb. Maybe we can tell you which it is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:22    Post subject: Image of board Reply with quote
Image of board.

I'm guessing its the 6 pins at the top right, but I don't know which ones are which.

Sorry if the image is too big. I re sized it on my desktop before I uploaded it and it's still huge. I couldn't figure it out.

rsz_photo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  481.99 KB
 Viewed:  17019 Time(s)

rsz_photo.jpg

photo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.93 MB
 Viewed:  17019 Time(s)

photo.JPG

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
With a volt meter you should be able to figure out which is ground and vcc, I'm guessing the two with resistors are tx and rx.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use this setting for Serial 6-pinout on EA2700:
1(square):VCC
2:n/a
3:Tx
4:n/a
5:Rx
6:GND

I needed connect only Tx, Rx and GND.
varidian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
You guys are talking about these 6 pin outs on the board correct? I have it circled in black.

@Robo77, I solder 1-6 only the needed ones from left to right correct? The very left being 1?

rsz_photo1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.99 KB
 Viewed:  16876 Time(s)

rsz_photo1.jpg

robo77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
You guys are talking about these 6 pin outs on the board correct? I have it circled in black.

Yes

Quote:
The very left being 1?

No, see my picture.

Serial 6-pinout on EA2700.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.93 KB
 Viewed:  16856 Time(s)

Serial 6-pinout on EA2700.jpg

varidian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awesome. Thank you so much.

Something like this would work right if I wanted to always have a serial connection?

http://www.amazon.com/NooElec-Adapter-Harnesses-Jumper-Compatible/dp/B009GXEF8A/ref=pd_sim_cps_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ETGS0SVP5PVPB07C1G0
robo77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, it looks like my adapter (only other number on a chip), when you'll engage connect only pins 3,5,6.
Won't connect pin1 (VCC 3.3V) when there is no need (for me to connect pin1 adapter has become unreachable in Windows and extremely hot).
varidian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:20    Post subject: Pins Confusement Reply with quote
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry if this is a noob question but I got this in the mail today and the cables were switched like not in the picture of the product? Like the yellow red cable has male attachments but in the picture it was all female. I'll attach a screenshot, did I get ripped off? Compared to the product:

http://www.amazon.com/NooElec-Adapter-Harnesses-Jumper-Compatible/dp/B009GXEF8A/ref=pd_sim_cps_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ETGS0SVP5PVPB07C1G0

Also I can't tell which wire is for what, how can I tell?

photo2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  541.32 KB
 Viewed:  16688 Time(s)

photo2.JPG

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you get an actual USB to uart adapter or just wires? The color of the wires makes no difference. Just connect one to the ground of the adapter, the other end to ground on the router.
Another wire goes from tx on the adapter to rx on the router, another wire from rx on the adapter to tx on thr router.
If nothing comes up in putty or hyperterminal or whatever you use when you power up the router, unplug the power, switch rx with tx and try again.
If still nothing, check your soldering.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh I see, no it did come with usb to serial adapter, and that's good to know about the wires. It tells me which is what on the usb adapter, but the wires don't tell me what's ground, tx, and rx. How can I tell?
ricktendo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does it have jtag and how would one go about mapping the pins?
varidian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry the words you said, "The color of the wires makes no difference" finally sunk in. Sorry to be a noob.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
varidian wrote:
Oh I see, no it did come with usb to serial adapter, and that's good to know about the wires. It tells me which is what on the usb adapter, but the wires don't tell me what's ground, tx, and rx. How can I tell?

Pick a coloured of your choice, write downs it colour on a paper and write GND. Connect one end of the wire to the pin marked GND on your usb-serial adapter, connect the other end of the wire to the GND pin on the router (you have been given the pin numbers in a post further up in this thread).

Pick a different coloured wired, write down its colour on a paper and write TX. Connect one end of the wire to the pin marked TX on your usb-serial adapter, connect the other end of the wire to the RX pin on the router (you have been given the pin numbers in a post further up in this thread).

Pick a different coloured wired, write down its colour on a paper and write RX. Connect one end of the wire to the pin marked RX on your usb-serial adapter, connect the other end of the wire to the TX pin on the router (you have been given the pin numbers in a post further up in this thread).

Navigation

Jump to: