Setup questions with a home network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jborn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 18:37    Post subject: Setup questions with a home network Reply with quote
Hi all,

I'm not sure how to setup my home network, so if what I'm attempting to do is the wrong direction, please send me down the correct path.

I have Uverse which means I'm using their 3801HGV modem and it's limited customization. That said it's worked for me for two years and would like to continue to use it as my DHCP server and only wireless access point. I would like to assign Static IPs to some of my computers and routers however to make accessing them easier.

From the 3801HGV I have a dd-wrt router that I'd like to connect an Apple TV and the Uverse DVR to. Currently the wire I have allows the Apple TV or the DVR to work if plugged in directly, but if I put the dd-wrt in between it does not work.

Setting available to me on the 3801HGV:
DHCP Configuration
Under DHCP Network Range
Currently has 192.168.1.0 / 255.255.255.0 (default)
I could select 172.16.0.0 / 255.255.0.0
or Configure manually
Router Address
Subnet Mask
First DHCP Address
Last DHCP Address

I also see a New Device DHCP Pool the a drop down that has Private Network selected. This however is the only option in that drop down list.

I also found another section that has Supplementary Network. Not sure what this section does:
Add Additional Network with a checkbox to Enable it In this section I can configure Router Address and Subnet Mask and Auto Firewall Open

Still under Supplementary Network I can: Add Cascaded Router with a check box to enable it. In this section I can configure Network Address and Subnet Mask. Then I have a drop down to: Choose the router that will host the secondary subnet (or just enter the IP)

On the DD-wrt side I've done the following:
Router IP
Local IP Address: 192.168.1.2 (different from Main router)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (as Main router)
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
Local DNS: 192.168.1.254
Network Adrress Server Settings (DHCP)
DHCP type: DHCP forwarder
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.254
In Setup -> Advanced Routing tab:
Operation Mode: Router
In Wireless -> Basic Settings tab:
Wireless Mode: Disabled
other settings as you need
In Services -> Services tab:
DNMasq: disabled
Local DNS: disabled
In Security -> Firewall tab:
SPI Firewall: disabled

ASUS RT-AC68U
Sponsor
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, I believe that setup will not work. As eibgrad suggested, you are using your second router as a router. Being that your U-verse router is doing all of the work, you need to use your DD-WRT router as more of a switch. I believe the U-verse DVR will only work if the routing is being provided by the U-verse router.

Likely, the best way to set this up will be to set the DD-WRT router as an access point only. Which means you will have to Disable the WAN & DHCP on the DD-WRT router, as well as put it's IP address in the network range of your U-verse router (to keep access to your AP). When you set the IP address of your DHCP router, it will need to have the gateway specified as your U-verse router. The connection to your U-verse router will not be through your WAN, but instead will be using one of the switch ports.

Hopefully the above information helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
jborn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this thread how to disable the WAN? http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WAN_Port

I believe that once I configure the WAN to be disabled I'll still be able to use the remaining 4 ports (I have 4 devices to connect)

If I do it all correctly I should be able to access the router(configured as a switch) device by it's IP from a computer?

Any idea on the Uverse setup what I should do to reserve some IPs so that I can statically assign them?

Thanks for the tips so far!

ASUS RT-AC68U
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set the dhcp server to start at 192.168.1.10.

192.168.1.1-9 will be available as static addresses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: