WN2000RPTv2 support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
mithrand
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:06    Post subject: WN2000RPTv2 support Reply with quote
Hi,

I just got my hands on an older Netgear wn2000rptv2. If I compare the hardware of this device to the normal wnr2000v3, they seem to be the same (except a missing wan port). More information can also be found on the openwrt wiki.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wnr2000#netgear.wn2000rpt

The wnr2000v3 should be the same as the wn2000rptv2. Same goes for wnr2000v0 and wn2000rptv1.

I wonder if it is possible to run ddwrt on this device, especially since there are a lot of users encountering issues with the stock firmware.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=57989

If there is a way a firmware for this device could be generated? Then I would be happy to test this.

I compiled custom kernel modules for ddwrt before, so if there are instructions in how i can build an image somewhere, that also could be an option.
Sponsor
casthle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 23:15    Post subject: Running DD-WRT on wn2000rptv2 Reply with quote
Hi,

You are absolutely right that the wn2000rptv2 is just a wnr2000v3 with a missing WAN port.
And therefore it can also run DD-WRT.
You can use it as an access point - but of course not as a router because of the missing WAN port.

The biggest issue is to get past the first firmware flash. You cannot use the web based flash as it refuses to flash anything that's not the original Netgear firmware.

So you have to use TFTP.
The trick is to hold keep the "Restore Factory Setting" button pressed while you power on the device.
At first one of the leds will blink Orange - this indicates that it has reset to factory defaults - keep pressing it down and after a while it will flash green. At this point you can let go - it is now ready to receive a binary over TFTP.

Plug in a network cable between your PC and one of the WN2000RPTv2's LAN ports
Set up your PC to use a static IP in the 192.168.1.x range, e.g. 192.168.1.2
The router will have the IP 192.168.1.1

Download the files from ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/03-19-12-r18777/netgear-wnr2000v3/
At first you need to flash either wnr2000v3-factory_WW.img or wnr2000v3-factory_NA.img - WW is the world wide version, NA the North American one. I don't think it matters which one you use - it's just for the real wnr2000v3 router when flashing via the web interface - the router expects the new firmware to match the model it runs on.

run this:
TFPT -i 192.168.1.1 PUT wnr2000v3-factory_WW.img

(or use the NA image - again I think either will work)

WAIT....
The TFTP command will end pretty fast - hopefully successfully saying it transferred the file.
The lights of the device will go out... be patient. Within a minute the device will restart by itself and you can now access the webinterface at http://192.168.1.1
Define a username/password and go to Administration->Firmware upgrade.
Choose "After Flashing, reset to": Reset to default settings.
Now browse for the wnr2000v3-webflash.bin and flash that one.

That's it basically.
The WN2000RPTv2 will look at behave like if it was running on a WNR2000v3.
I recommend you disable the WAN port, set it up as an Access Point (AP), disable the DHCP server and then connect it with a cable to your main router if possible. Alternatively you can of course set it up as a WiFi extender, but the cabled AP will give you better performance.

If you already have WiFi enabled router, give the WN2000RPTv2 the same SSID and security settings, place it just outside the main WiFi coverage area and you have a large WiFi area with automatic roaming for your devices.

A last hint: Wireless -> Basic Settings -> Check the "Advanced Settings" -> Choose your country from the dropdown and set the RX/TX Antenna Chains to "1+2+3".
Once saved/applied, go back to the same page and now set channelwidth to "Turbo" or "Dynamic" for maximum performance.

Enjoy... Smile
bleeisme
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 20:47    Post subject: Re: Running DD-WRT on wn2000rptv2 Reply with quote
casthle wrote:

run this:
TFPT -i 192.168.1.1 PUT wnr2000v3-factory_WW.img

First of all, thank you, it is great to find someone who has done exactly what I want to do, and then they took the time to explain the steps.

I was able to flash the first step, and it is running.

The only issue that I had was the instruction on TFTP. The client that I used was the one installed from Raspian linux. Here is what works, if the previous instructions didn't work for you:
tftp
tftp> connect 192.168.1.1
tftp> mode binary
tftp> put wnr2000v3-factory_WW.img

Hope this helps someone...
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
fyi
https://secure.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WN2000RPTv2

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Sash: I'd love to write a guide in the wiki, however I am unable to create an account there (the forum credentials do not work) and there is no link to "create account" in the wiki pages (that I can find).

@bleeisme: Thanks for pointing that out. My instructions for TFTP were for Windows based computers - I forgot to mention that Smile
james3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:27    Post subject: WN2000RPT v1 Reply with quote
Hello I have this range extender WN2000RPTv1 version, is there a guide to install dd-wrt firmware on my device ?
zoso2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am attempting to do this as well, though I have never installed dd-wrt on anything before. I have read through all the suggested documentation and understand how to do this properly. The wiki for the wnr2000v3 states that later firmware updates were able to detect and stop third party firmware installations and to bypass this you needed to downgrade the Netgear firmware before it would accept the dd-wrt "killer."

It would make sense to me that the WN2000RPTv2 would also have this protection built into its firmware as well, does anyone know for sure? The problem is the WN2000RPTv2 only has ONE Netgear firmware download so there is no official firmware to downgrade to and attempting to downgrade it to some old WNR2000v3 firmware could be dangerous.

I did try to tftp the Brainslayer image for the WNR2000v3 numerous times without luck. I kept receiving transfer timeout errors even though I'm starting the transfer immediately after the first ping. It's hard for me to believe my timing could be wrong 20 times in a row.

Anyways, I thought I would post my concerns here and see if any of the successful people could shed some light on this.
casthle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Read my post above Smile

You are right the WN2000RPTv2 does have this protection as well and there is only one firmware available.
So there is no way to change the firmware via the web interface.

So what I did is I discovered how to enable it to accept flash files over TFTP by holding down the factory reset button for a long period of time after powering the device on.
When you flash over TFTP, the device will accept anything you throw at it. I am guessing this is basically how they flash the device initially at the factory when there is no pre-existing flash.
It's also a way to re-flash the device in case you brick it, i.e. you can use this method to put the original firmware in place should you ever want to do that.
casthle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
@James3: I do not think there is a dd-wrt firmware available for the v1 version, but maybe you can use OpenWRT instead? http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wnr2000?s[]=wnr2000v0
whySoserious0990
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys, i'm new here and I'm kinda a newbe Smile

tried to flash my WN2000RPTv2 (using this guide: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash#Mac_OS_X_2 and yours from this topic) to get IPTV working, but I get stuck at the FTFP step. First of all I'm using a mac ^^. If I change the DNS (Router IP) to 192.168.1.1 I can't access the extender neither through ftfp (host down) nor via webpage. If I let the dns as like the DHCP DNS (192.168.1.250) I can access the extender via the webpage, but unfortunately I get a "Transfer Timed Out" at ftfp :/

can somebody help me?
whySoserious0990
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
could really use some help :/ can't use my IPTV next to me and my period for return the box back in case it don't work is expiring.
casthle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I have some questions to what you are doing:
1: Do you have a direct cable connection from your mac into one of the 4 ports on the wn2000rptv2?
2: Did you set up a static IP address? You mention something related to changing the DNS? That makes no sense to me in this context. **
3: Did you put the wn2000rptv2 into tftp mode by turning it off, holding the reset button down while you power it back on and keep holding the reset button until you see the led starts flashing in a green color?

If you cannot answer yes to all of the above, then that's where your problem is Smile

** Set your static IP to e.g. 192.168.1.2. Set mask to 255.255.255.0. Set default gateway/router to 192.168.1.1. DNS and other settings do not matter. Once you have the wn2000rptv2 ready, you set your Mac's IP back to the old settings - typically using DCHP to auto configure all.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
gimme a high res pic of the board
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
gimme a high res pic of the board

Can you please react to that?
casthle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 15:27    Post subject: Pics of wn2000rptv2 board Reply with quote
Hi,

I was not actually sure if this post was for me.
James3 was asking for support of the WN2000RPTv1.
I have the wn2000rptv2 and here are some pictures attached.
It is unfortunately quite difficult to read the numbers on the Atheros chip.
The dd-wrt firmware reports:
CPU Model: Atheros AR7241 rev 1.1 (0x0101)
CPU Clock: 360 MHz
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: