asus rt-n53 failed install dd-wrt and unbrick after

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
wf201626
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 16:41    Post subject: asus rt-n53 failed install dd-wrt and unbrick after Reply with quote
hi all

just wanted to share some experience that i got from past a couple days about trying install dd-wrt into my asus rt-n53 and bricked it and unbricked it and bricked it....

there is the link i took as reference. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=170092&highlight=rtn53

first of all, i tried install it through web console. it did take take the firmware i gave to it, which is dd-wrt.v24-21153_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N53.trx. i waited 5 minutes after the router submitted the firmware. after that, the page showed a asus mini firmware upload page, which i bypassed it after.

then, the 30-30-30. the procedure didn't do what it was expected to do. instead, it brought the router into the rescue mode. i had to cycle the power and just let it go. after a couple miniutes, it went up. the power light and 5ghz lights were on solid. nothing else happened after. no ip address on the router and can not ping it at all.

power cycling didn't make any different. and using the asus firmware restoration tool got "can not connect to wireless device, device is not in recovery mode".

it looked like that i totally bricked it. then, i tried to use the tftp method with the stock firmware. it went fine. it came up with all lights and ip address. web access was not available after all. after a few minutes, the router had only 2.4ghz, 5ghz and power lights on. i waited about 5 minutes. nothing changed. I can not access it through web page. telnet did work. but i didn't know the password. i tried "admin/admin" and "root/admin". they did not work.

i then reset it by pushed the recessed the reset button. it went out without any light. i had to cycle the power again. this time it went even worse. the power light was the only light on, nothing else.

i tried 30-30-30, no change. cycling power had no change. reset.....

eventually, i tried the wps button. powered off the router first, then push the wps button and powered it on. then you can see the power light flashing. other lights were not showing though. then i released the wps button. the power light stayed on solid. after a couple of minutes, all lights went on. this time, i can access the router through web access.

this is not all i did. after unbriked, i tried to install dd-wrt firmware through the tftp method again. tftp was able to flush it and the result was same as flush it through web page.

so, if you are looking for unbrick your asus rt-n53, my experience may help. the wps button was not documented anywhere. i just did it by fooling around. but it did unbrick it somehow.

but still, i got no luck to install it through web or tftp.

if there is anyone who got it installed successfully, please share some light.

thanks in advance,

Frank Rolling Eyes
Sponsor
messerchmidt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
had the same issue, seems that rt-n53 has two revisions. if you have the new b1 revision(64 ram, 8mb flash) - then it bricks. I have to try and restore the asus firmware now. stupid thing.
gekko1ro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 17:38    Post subject: Re: asus rt-n53 failed install dd-wrt and unbrick after Reply with quote
wf201626 wrote:
hi all

Frank Rolling Eyes

thank you very much for your info, i almost give up in trying to bring back to life my router. who ever thought to push the wps button? Smile)
anyway, i sign up just to thank you for your solution. great work!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 15:25    Post subject: Re: asus rt-n53 failed install dd-wrt and unbrick after Reply with quote
gekko1ro wrote:
wf201626 wrote:
hi all

Frank Rolling Eyes

thank you very much for your info, i almost give up in trying to bring back to life my router. who ever thought to push the wps button? Smile)

http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-115-EN/Asus%20RT-Nxx/tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-115-RT-N53.trx

I'd recommend running TomatoUSB on this router, it'll have it's 5GHz Radio back up and running. It's a great firmware, just takes a while to learn, but if you know DD-WRT, you know more than you need to, to operate TomatoUSB Cool
XTXDSS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:28    Post subject: Re: asus rt-n53 failed install dd-wrt and unbrick after Reply with quote
wf201626 wrote:
hi all
Frank Rolling Eyes

thank you very much for your info, i almost give up in trying to bring back to life my router. who ever thought to push the wps button? )
Спасибо, помогло)
trismos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
wf201626, Thank you very much for your post... I had thought about building a fire with my Azuz(censored), and had gotten tomato installed, but it had gone to just the power light being on.. almost tossed the thing, and figured to do a quick search on how to unbrick it... your page came up, and boom! restored and was able to get in... now... I used: http://www.suramya.com/blog/2016/09/how-to-install-tomato-firmware-on-asus-rt-n53-router/
when I got into it, I had a page to restore or load image file, which I just did the image .trx file, and waited... waited... said it loaded fine... disconnected, rebooted, bla bla bla... brick... found your page, unbricked it, went back in with 192.168.1.2 and signed in default admin/admin....
Thank you sir, really appreciate your post.

and thanks to all that have put effort into this community, I really appreciate it.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: