!!! ~~~ YOU HAVE BEEN PRANKED ~~~ !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 22:36    Post subject: !!! ~~~ YOU HAVE BEEN PRANKED ~~~ !!! Reply with quote
I can't believe you fools fell for it!

Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl_oQrDggKE

Ceasing development, LOL.

Hopefully got your attention now.

Listen up and read all of it!!!

1. The webspace that holds my builds is my brothers webspace, now people think they should sent mails (bug reports questions etc.) to emails they find on the main page. Not a problem, as he forwards them to me. But for the last couple of weeks the amount of email in my private inbox increased dramatically.

So obviously I had to do something about it.

2. I can't fix all bugs myself, dd-wrt has a bug tracker:

svn.dd-wrt.com/timeline

reporting bugs that are visible to everyone avoids double bug reports, allows other users to confirm them or deny them and finally allows all developers to look at the report and helps to keep my inbox clean.

3. I'm about to be promoted at work. Getting more responsibilities ...

4. In a few month I also have more responsibilities at home:-)

That means I have to reorganize my free time, lately:

a)I spent a lot of time answering questions
b)I did lot of testing
c)I prepared builds and released them
d)I build optware packages

these 4 things are very time consuming.

Now to crush 2. and c) in order to free up some time it makes sense if I quit releasing builds. This also avoids confusion among users which builds they should choose. If only BS releases builds we have one base for bug reports.

To fix d) Is there anyone out there that has time for this? Not sure if you know about:

https://code.google.com/p/dd-ware/

I instructed basmaf to prepare an openwrt build environment in order to build packages that are fully compatible with dd-wrt. The same is needed for arm and musl now. It is a bit more difficult in this case as a lot of packages need some work in order to compile with musl, so you should have some coding experience:-)

P.S.

I just renamed the dirs on the ftp. If you read this here:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren

you can get to them, others will eventually find the answer to the change:-)

Finally in the next few days I'll write down a few lines that show how to compile dd-wrt. I'm sure this will be embarrassing for the people that claimed that building dd-wrt is so difficult.

Now while I have been planning this announcement earlier on, a lot of people already knew about my private situation. I decided to jerk a bit since collinsnj gave me a reason for it and he made the neccessary mistakes.

By the way, for anyone that thinks he needs to reminds me of GPL, I'm not stupid:-)

GPL talks about software modification and scripts makefiles you have to distribute in order to reproduce the build. As I said before:

-Makefiles configs are indeed modified, which are necessary in order to select what target you want to build. If you know what you are doing you can do that yourself. And our build structure requires that. Thus: NO GPL VIOLATION

-some of my builds are a mix of the standard revision and for example a different kernel revision. But that is no modification of the actual source code and you can easily reproduce such a build by looking at the dmesg output of the running firmware and then checkout the kernel at that revision.

-in rare cases I compile with a change that is not committed, once I have confirmation that it works I commit them, so it is easy to to apply those changes to a certain revision

Anyways, I'm a pretty good strategist, so I played a bit with you guys, the reaction here and somewhere else allowed me to findout who colinsnj is:-)

Even BrainSlayer was afraid I would leave. LOL

I'm back. Hahahaha
Sponsor
s-f-r-j
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good!

"WB" Smile

Very Happy

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very good to hear.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well how about that. Welcome back and congrats on the promotion and stuff
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems like a lot of abuse and trouble caused for nothing. There was likely a much better way of handling things.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
earthmind
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aw, Kong, you sucker-punched us!

Congrats on the promotion.
kissnoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
hehe... Dang!! you are really good at prank. you got everyone for good Smile))

Still, I truly appreciate your work for our community.

Congrats on promotion and 'those responsibilities at home'.

I venture a guess that 'more responsibilities at home' means good things Wink
s-f-r-j
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://ddwrt.serdarevic.net is redirected to Kong's website.

Will be taking files from Cloud down as well.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Plot twist, colinsnj is Kong. Welcome back.
hurleyp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure I understand all the "theater" going on here lately, but as long as my router works well I don't really care.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad to hear you aren't really leaving.
Congratulations on the 2 new & big things in your life kong.

I agree with murrkf that it probably could have been done differently but that's past now.

So being the end user (non-code writer) that I am I do have a couple of probably very obvious (to you) questions if you don't mind.

You did ask one of the forum members to submit the crash dump a week back after him putting on 25100M so you might be able to see what caused the reboot of the r7000.

Are you going to follow through on that dump or have you stopped that effective now?

Thank you

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
mito
DD-WRT User

Location: Buenos Aires-Argentina, End of World and new Pope's home.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Seems like a lot of abuse and trouble caused for nothing. There was likely a much better way of handling things.

Could be, but I look results, I'm happy Kong is back, and all of us supported and contributed to keep and have his firms in an archive, just in case.
Kong you are very Wellcome back! Organice your future and family and keep on with us!

RT-N16 on VicTek's Raf Beta 9014-v1.3d. repeater @ Condominium pool side, a lot of clients messing arround.
wrt600n on wrt610n firm 16214 @ warehouse for 22 colleagues as wifi client @ 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz just for me.
wrt54gl on Eko's @ warehose as repeater for 22 coleagues as wifi client
wrt350n oldie 2007, 5 years bricked, recovered from dead & modded with antennas and new agn radio now incredible "NA mixed" on Brainslayer's , repeater at my garage, modding as hobby (picture)
All at service.

Kong said: Yeah that stupid 30/30/30. I already said it multiple times on newer units build in the last 2 years this is not the way to do it Smile
rkaede
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
april fool come early. Twisted Evil

ASUS AC68U merlin fw
Linksys EA6700 - factory firmware - sold
DD-WRT v3.0 --- 27506
r25408
Ava Pug
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome back lol Laughing
jsmiddleton4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not cool.

Nothing "prank" about it. Not going to be using any DD-WRT version for awhile. Maybe not again.

People stepped up, took it seriously, did the right thing. I for one don't see anything humorous in being played for a chump.

Previously:
Asus RT-N66U
Linksys E3000
Linksys WRT54GS Version 2.1
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Linksys WRT54G Version 1.1
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: