Netgear R8000

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
dapupster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:
dapupster wrote:
any updates on when a build will be ready? I can't use my R8000 w/o DDWRT (or some other router that lets me use my own OPENVPN certificates...if only the built in firmware let me do that...)

I haven't seen any commit to SVN yet related to supporting it, so don't hold your breath. I'm not even sure the device will be available in Germany, I think it's currently a US-only product, since it needs access to both 5 GHz sub-bands.

<Kong> wrote:
ddaniel51 wrote:
Those radios need some work.

No problem. Buy one for Kong and he'll fix you right up.

Dave

Smile

Already explained in another thread I'm just waiting for new drivers from broadcom. The basic porting is already done. Once we have the new drivers I'll finish port, led and button assignment.

so are u basically saying that this isn't happening for the r8000 and I bought a paperweight? because I bought it based on kong saying they were waiting for final Broadcom drivers or something
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
dapupster wrote:
RMerlin wrote:
dapupster wrote:
any updates on when a build will be ready? I can't use my R8000 w/o DDWRT (or some other router that lets me use my own OPENVPN certificates...if only the built in firmware let me do that...)

I haven't seen any commit to SVN yet related to supporting it, so don't hold your breath. I'm not even sure the device will be available in Germany, I think it's currently a US-only product, since it needs access to both 5 GHz sub-bands.

<Kong> wrote:
ddaniel51 wrote:
Those radios need some work.

No problem. Buy one for Kong and he'll fix you right up.

Dave

Smile

Already explained in another thread I'm just waiting for new drivers from broadcom. The basic porting is already done. Once we have the new drivers I'll finish port, led and button assignment.

so are u basically saying that this isn't happening for the r8000 and I bought a paperweight? because I bought it based on kong saying they were waiting for final Broadcom drivers or something

It is exactly as I said, the R8000 has been added long time ago to svn:-)

And you can actually flash the arm build if you add the header, but wireless isn't working right now, as the R8000 has radios that require a completely different driver, which is also used in the Asus RT-AC3200. But Tathagata already prepared a build on myopenrouter for the R8000 with netgears kernel, as I already did the basic porting this image should be safe to be flashed of course, but still might have a couple of bugs that we can't fix as the netgear kernel doesn't support everything we need and it requires a different toolchain.

Anyways. I think the next winner after the R7000 is the R7500. It just has the most powerful CPU way better than everything Asus has to offer now.
Not just a few Mhz more, the core is not based on cortex-a9 but krait, so even at the same Mhz it is about 25% faster than the broadcom cpu, along with the higher clock it should be around ~1.6 times faster then the AC87U and also much faster then the RT-AC3200.

I like the R8000 because you can pop out the antennae if you need the range and when you don't need it you just pop them in and it looks all good.
The cooling is also very good on the R8000, it runs even cooler then the R7000. But I don't need 3 radios:-)

To be honest I'm much more exited about the R7500. But I first need a unit then I can tell if it will be possible to support it. But as far as I can tell the quantenna radio used in it should be already supported by the code BS added for the Asus 87U.
The R7500 also uses U-Boot, thus it is probably much easier to debrick then other netgear units.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

And you can actually flash the arm build if you add the header, but wireless isn't working right now, as the R8000 has radios that require a completely different driver, which is also used in the Asus RT-AC3200. But Tathagata already prepared a build on myopenrouter for the R8000 with netgears kernel, as I already did the basic porting this image should be safe to be flashed of course, but still might have a couple of bugs that we can't fix as the netgear kernel doesn't support everything we need and it requires a different toolchain.

Anyways. I think the next winner after the R7000 is the R7500. It just has the most powerful CPU way better than everything Asus has to offer now.
Not just a few Mhz more, the core is not based on cortex-a9 but krait, so even at the same Mhz it is about 25% faster than the broadcom cpu, along with the higher clock it should be around ~1.6 times faster then the AC87U and also much faster then the RT-AC3200.

I like the R8000 because you can pop out the antennae if you need the range and when you don't need it you just pop them in and it looks all good.
The cooling is also very good on the R8000, it runs even cooler then the R7000. But I don't need 3 radios:-)

To be honest I'm much more exited about the R7500. But I first need a unit then I can tell if it will be possible to support it. But as far as I can tell the quantenna radio used in it should be already supported by the code BS added for the Asus 87U.
The R7500 also uses U-Boot, thus it is probably much easier to debrick then other netgear units.

Hey Kong,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I don't understand what you're all saying (it's all gibberish...sorta...). I guess it seems like you're still waiting before getting a release ready for the R8000? Hope you don't just move onto the R7500 lol. :-/ I'm not sure why I would flash the "arm" build since it seems like it doesn't work completely? You made some reference to the build on myopenrouter. Did someone just hack netgear's kernel and use that for DDWRT (which is different from what you're doing?)? Thanks for all the work!!!
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
dapupster wrote:
<Kong> wrote:

Hey Kong,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I don't understand what you're all saying (it's all gibberish...sorta...). I guess it seems like you're still waiting before getting a release ready for the R8000? Hope you don't just move onto the R7500 lol. :-/ I'm not sure why I would flash the "arm" build since it seems like it doesn't work completely? You made some reference to the build on myopenrouter. Did someone just hack netgear's kernel and use that for DDWRT (which is different from what you're doing?)? Thanks for all the work!!!

The R8000 has the same soc as the R7000, but different radios, for those radios a completely different driver is needed, the rest is the same. Thus I already added code to support the basics for the R8000, but we don't have a driver that we can compile on our 3.x kernel. Tathagata used the netgear 2.6.36 kernel with the included binary drivers. We could do that too, but we prefer having one kernel that can be used for all targets.
If BrainSlayer gets the driver, then it is just a few hours of work to complete support for the R8000.

I don't have a R7500 yet. Adding support for the R7500 will also require more work. It took only about 1h to add the basic support for the R8000. But the R7500 uses uboot, has different soc etc. so needs a different target, maybe a new toolchain that is optimized for the krait architecture.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Won't you need to switch to BCM SDK7 to get it to fully work tho? toad and bsd daemons were added with SDK7, and are used amongst other things to handle the band steering capability of Xtream.

From what I've seen, SDK7 is your typical BCM SDK update: they add new stuff, and they break other things. Netgear basically replaced BCM's own bsd with their own modified (less advanced) version, support for the BCM4630 is currently broken, etc... It does bring a nice performance boost to USB however.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:
<Kong> wrote:

Won't you need to switch to BCM SDK7 to get it to fully work tho? toad and bsd daemons were added with SDK7, and are used amongst other things to handle the band steering capability of Xtream.

From what I've seen, SDK7 is your typical BCM SDK update: they add new stuff, and they break other things. Netgear basically replaced BCM's own bsd with their own modified (less advanced) version, support for the BCM4630 is currently broken, etc... It does bring a nice performance boost to USB however.

Yes exactly for the radios to work we need SDK7 and SDK7 does currently not work with older radios. So it is a pain in the ass, unless we would go for the binary stuff like tathagata:-) Since I integrated the basic stuff like params, flashing/upgrading for it, tathagatas build should be compatible to future R8000 dd-wrt builds, unlike some of his previous releases.

So basically there is already unofficial dd-wrt for it and I'm sure he will improve it with his next release.

This gives us some time:-)

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 15:44    Post subject: R8000 some results and a warning Reply with quote
So I've received three R8000 yesterday. Am driving them in parallel in my fairly large house, so I was eager to adjust and fine tune the channels that are used. I've bought them from Amazon US as for the moment they seem unavailable in Europe.

First observation: Genie firmware works fine, but lets me select only very closeby channels. A wireless explorer shows, for example, that the three routers will cover almost the same spectrums (36..50; 149..161) on the 5GHz band. On the 2.4 GHz channels, they'll all use channel 1 after booting, but then readjust to whatever was selected.)

Next observation: I cannot change the region setting. Have found a thread on how to do this, but will need to go through serial cable (which is anyway ordered, see below).

Throughput having two of them running, partly overlapping, goes up to 410 MBit/s according to iperf. Which is of course quite below what they advertise, but already at about 45 % of my wired throughput, so that's quite fine.

Then went on to install DD-WRT. Install went fine, could now freely chose channels (or, say, mostly freely, had to play with region codes). Once done, the throughput having three of these devices running was actually not quite good - I only once go it up to 360 MBit/s, ultimately it even dropped down to less than 1 MBit/s. So something bad was going on.

Decided to play with some other options like, using repeater mode.

Which. Was. A. Bad. Idea.

Set all three modules on one of the devices to repeater mode; the moment I hit "save and apply" for the third module, the router went into oblivion: It now power cycles constantly, it fell back to 192.168.1.1 from a different IP it had before, and it responds to a ping on that IP for only like 10 seconds until it cycles again. 30-30-30 and also holding the Wifi button did not give me any better position to start with.

So that's why I ordered a serial cable.

Next, let the remaining two operate over night, and woke up to find that their 5 GHz bands had gone dead. Not transmitting anymore. A power cycle helped, but at that point I was my better half was getting quite unpleasant for us not having an online connection, so I reinstalled the stock firmware.

Anyway, I've at least one device to play with since it is mostly dead right now Smile I'm waiting for the serial cable and hope I'll find some instructions on how to flash the firmware through that.
FarmerBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 17:15    Post subject: Re: R8000 some results and a warning Reply with quote
emags wrote:
So I've received three R8000 yesterday...

You'd be better served by R7500's. The R7000 & 8000 are proving to be "inferior" models. Whereas, the 7500 is proving to be "the" model. Plus once connected to the main router, there is a panel in the OEM FW that allows one touch set up of repeaters, which I'm not sure if it will put more than one in proper working order, but you'll never know until you try.

Screen shot 2014-10-04 at 11.13.37 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.65 KB
 Viewed:  24706 Time(s)

Screen shot 2014-10-04 at 11.13.37 AM.png

ChristianNO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi.....

I received my R8000 in Norway some days ago and
it works like expected with the stock firmware Wink

Only thing....the region for wireless is greyed out
and fixed to North-America.

I was able to enable the telnet-port.

What do I have to do now, do unchain the region ??

Regards

Christian
emags
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26    Post subject: Telnet Port Reply with quote
Can you give some explanations on how you enabled it?

Thanks!
ChristianNO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get telnetenable.py from here:

https://code.google.com/p/netgear-telnetenable/

Change the line:

for res in socket.getaddrinfo(ip, TELNET_PORT, socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM, socket.IPPROTO_IP):

to:

for res in socket.getaddrinfo(ip, TELNET_PORT, socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM, socket.IPPROTO_IP):

Then use:

python telnetenable.py <IP-OF-R8000> <MAC-IN-CAPS> admin "PASSWORD-OF-YOUR-R8000"

Done on from a linux-server.

Regards

Christian
emags
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the hint. At the end, this did work, and I'm now back in business.

Most importantly, burnsku 0x0002 allows to change to WW region.

Here are all the regions:

Region SKU-Name Language WL_Region TZ
0x0000 - English 5 0
0x0001 NA English 11 -8
0x0002 WW English 5 0
0x0003 GR German 5 1
0x0004 PR Chinese 16 8
0x0005 RU Russian 14 3
0x0006 BZ Portuguese 10 -3
0x0007 IN Indic 5 55
0x0008 KO Korean 8 9
0x0009 JP Japanese 7 9

According to the JavaScript logic in Genie, JP should be most interesting, but trying so again disables the context menu and removes lots of options.

So better idea is to set the settings in the router itself.

Trying along the lines of

nvram set 0:ccode=#a
nvram set 1:ccode=#a
nvram set 2:ccode=#a
nvram set 0:regrev=0
nvram set 1:regrev=0
nvram set 2:regrev=0
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl2_country_code=#a
nvram set wl2_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl2_reg_mode=off
nvram set ccode=#a
nvram set wl_country_code=#a
nvram set wl_country_rev=0

nvram commit
reboot;exit

But that's not persistent.

Work in progress, but most importantly, your tip did help getting out of the corner.

Thank you!
giskarded1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any word on a build from Kong for the r8000?

I've got the router and dont know if the build available at openrouter is worth trying
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong is no longer releasing public builds for routers.
He is helping debug & other technical support.
If it isn't supported now by a "kong" firmware it wont be going forward.
BrainSlayer is the primary dd-wrt firmware releaser.

giskarded1 wrote:
Any word on a build from Kong for the r8000?

I've got the router and dont know if the build available at openrouter is worth trying

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
giskarded1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the update slidermike. Will keep an eye out for Brainslayers builds.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 23
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: