Random reboots new driver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
As someone who encounters the random reboots on newd based ddwrt, I have been reading the various testing & hypothesis as to the cause or at least triggers.
The most popular seems to be that somehow the WMM is involved.

WMM is required for the higher data rates so even if this is involved I would not want to permanently disable WMM.

On latest kong 25015M I encounter the errors.
I have tried disabling/adjusting various features such as the beacon interval, preamble, beamforming all to no effect.
Typically 1 time a day (at least that i am catching) the router is rebooting itself.

I use both 2.4 & 5 ghz radios & I will not give up the higher datarates on the 5 but at least on the 2.4 I can live without it for a while.
So I disabled WMM on the 2.4 almost 2 days ago.
Since then, the r7000 has been up & running fine.

WMM is still enabled on the 5ghz & my best AC client does indeed connect at 1300 & tests confirm it is working at the higher rates.

So for me at least it does appear the WMM on the 2.4 ghz radio (maybe because of the clients such as the iphone 4s) is creating an unstable environment that triggers at least 1 time a day.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
Sponsor
wabe
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:

So for me at least it does appear the WMM on the 2.4 ghz radio (maybe because of the clients such as the iphone 4s) is creating an unstable environment that triggers at least 1 time a day.

Yeah. I think there is an unfortunate interaction between Ipad 3, Iphone 4s etc and WMM on the 2.4 Ghz band.

I currently run stable on a ac68u using build 25015 with WMM enabled on both bands. An Ipad 3 wouldn't connect to WAN on 2.4 but started to work after powering off and on completely. Still an issue with connection delays with this device on 2.4 though which doesn't happen if the device is on the 5 band.

Asus AC-68U rev. A1 on Build 53339
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
As someone who encounters the random reboots on newd based ddwrt, I have been reading the various testing & hypothesis as to the cause or at least triggers.
The most popular seems to be that somehow the WMM is involved.

WMM is required for the higher data rates so even if this is involved I would not want to permanently disable WMM.

On latest kong 25015M I encounter the errors.
I have tried disabling/adjusting various features such as the beacon interval, preamble, beamforming all to no effect.
Typically 1 time a day (at least that i am catching) the router is rebooting itself.

I use both 2.4 & 5 ghz radios & I will not give up the higher datarates on the 5 but at least on the 2.4 I can live without it for a while.
So I disabled WMM on the 2.4 almost 2 days ago.
Since then, the r7000 has been up & running fine.

WMM is still enabled on the 5ghz & my best AC client does indeed connect at 1300 & tests confirm it is working at the higher rates.

I probably have a device now, that is able to cause these reboots, at least the update for the device claims, that it includes fix for reboots with routers that use a bcm4360:-)

If I can reproduce the crash, we should be able to fix it.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was my understanding that a new driver exists that addresses this problem. It is also my understanding that it will require a fair amount of work to implement the new driver. Based on that info I think Kong is waiting on Brainslayer to implement and perhaps Brainslayer is waiting on Kong.

We know the problem exists, so I see no logical reason to say that Kong needs to see the crash to fix, that would only be true if he is intent on using the existing buggy driver.

Since this problem existed within Netgears firmware until their latest release I think it safe to assume the problem cant be fixed and that the new driver must be used.

Of course if DD-WRT has no access to the new driver then all bets are off.
jsmiddleton4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I disagree that kong has to create the crash. IF there is some driver that might address the reboot issue that driver can be included in a test release and the people who are having the reboot issue can test it. Does it need to be tested by folks who are having the issue? Absolutely. That does not mean kong has to test it.

BS is the only one who has access to this as of yet vaporware driver. I've tried to follow the discussion but even at that I'm confused about what driver the "fix it" driver actually is. It gets mentioned but never enough about it to figure out version number, etc., so we know concretely what driver is being referred to and discussed.

Even at that any test FW has to come from DD-WRT's side. BS is the only one who has access to whatever driver it is.

It is possible and reasonable to have a test FW available to a handful of knowledgeable folks and kong never needs to experience the reboot.

A FW that incorporates said "fixed" driver can be thoroughly tested without kong seeing any reboot issue. Without even trying I bet the number of people who would volunteer would hit 20 in a matter of seconds if asked on this forum.

I do NOT have the reboot issue by the way. I have no self interest in my humble opinion as I'd not be one to test it.

Previously:
Asus RT-N66U
Linksys E3000
Linksys WRT54GS Version 2.1
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Linksys WRT54G Version 1.1
earthmind
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, Kong is talking about a device that is able to cause reboots. Its new driver includes a fix for it to work with routers that use a bcm4360.

That is why I asked what caused the crash. If we can find the factors leading to the reboots, it might be possible to mitigate or avoid them.

There is supposed to be a new broadcom driver on the horizon, but we're not talking about that here.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
gahelm wrote:

Of course if DD-WRT has no access to the new driver then all bets are off.

We don't have a new driver and I don't know when we get one, thus I'd like to fix it with the current driver not to mention, that in the past new drivers introduced new problems or turned off features or added limitations.

Of course the easiest way to fix an issue is to wait for someone else to fix it, but I'm sick of waiting:-)

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
wabe, I a running the same build 25015 on the same router ac68u and have reboots anywhere from 6 to 20+ hours and I also have VMM enabled. Are there any other settings that you might attribute to your stable setup?
wabe
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
hable wrote:
wabe, I a running the same build 25015 on the same router ac68u and have reboots anywhere from 6 to 20+ hours and I also have VMM enabled. Are there any other settings that you might attribute to your stable setup?

No, standard settings. I think the different experiences are probably dependent on which wireless devices you have on the network.
Hope Kong nails this problem soon!

Asus AC-68U rev. A1 on Build 53339
dpeters11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
None of those here, but close.

iPad 2
iPhone 5s (soon to go away)
Blackberry Z10

Among other devices.
wgentine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've almost everything here:

Samsung TV
Sony TV
Sony Blu-Ray
Nexus 7 1st Gen
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5S
Macbook Air
Macbook Pro
iPad Mini Retina

Never could find what's causing the reboots.
jsmiddleton4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
"We don't have a new driver and I don't know when we get one..."

Thanks for the clarification. There being one and it fixing the reboot was however posted here yes?

Not trying to argue, just checking my sanity. Things change and I understand. Just want to make sure I didn't completely misread information in other threads.

Certainly agree with the approach that it'll be fixed regardless of Broadcom's driver situation. I do however at least attempt to pay attention to kong's other postings and coulda sworn there was a comment about a driver that fixed this reboot thing from Broadcom.

Jim

Previously:
Asus RT-N66U
Linksys E3000
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsmiddleton4 wrote:
"We don't have a new driver and I don't know when we get one..."

Thanks for the clarification. There being one and it fixing the reboot was however posted here yes?

Not trying to argue, just checking my sanity. Things change and I understand. Just want to make sure I didn't completely misread information in other threads.

Certainly agree with the approach that it'll be fixed regardless of Broadcom's driver situation. I do however at least attempt to pay attention to kong's other postings and coulda sworn there was a comment about a driver that fixed this reboot thing from Broadcom.

Jim

Yes that's what I said there are driver updates, just look at latest netgear builds they have a never revision.

But broadcom does not treat dd-wrt like an oem and send us hotfixes or betas.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
There seems to be even a newer update at Netgear than the last released one.

The latest is on their FTP server in TEMP folder.

Previously:
Asus RT-N66U
Linksys E3000
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
earthmind
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Broadcom should release their STA drivers for MIPS. Not to do so is really short-sighted.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: