Who all is running the Buffalo WZR-600DHP2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
arvetus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:47    Post subject: Who all is running the Buffalo WZR-600DHP2? Reply with quote
Just picked one of these up to replace/upgrade my old WRT54GL. I actually thought I lost the GL because I couldn't get the wireless to work at all. Bought the Buffalo off Amazon and it showed up 2 days later. Flashed it with the beta build out there and I was up and going.

I was looking more to get the N-speeds in-house. Haven't completely got rid of the GL though. After some further investigating, I did a full 30-30-30 reset and was able to bring it back. Maybe the NVRAM corrupted somehow. Hard to say...it's been running solid for almost 10 years now on the DD-WRT firmware. Anywhoo, I'm now running it as a much needed repeater which I needed anyway. I'm now running the GL and a WRT54 rev 8 (using a micro build) as repeaters to get the extra coverage I need. They feed off my new WZR-600DHP2. The Buffalo sits in the master bed suite and I have one repeater in the front of the house to cover the front porch area for the morning coffee with the dogs and the other repeater covering the rear for the fire pit Wink

I'm running a beta build on the Buffalo (24461 dated 6/23/14). It seems to run ok for the most part, but just noting a few buggy things that don't really affect the operation that I can tell such as the time stamps, I can delete DCHP leases, but it doesn't really disappear from the list, weird things, but no biggie.

Anyone running another build with any better results?

I know these are still fairly new to the US market, but just wondering what flavors are out there. I know the 600DHP2D has dd-wrt pre-flashed, but I enjoyed the $30 savings for the 5 minutes it took me to flash myself.

What dd-wrt ver is on the pre-flashed version and is it any better than what I got?

I'm more of a "if it works, leave it alone" kind of guy, but just a few quirky things my OCD is wondering about.
Sponsor
RyanMM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm finding that router and that build to be very unstable on WiFi.
arvetus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've actually been having quite good luck with it. I had some issues with the old router dropping my ISP connection and this new router has held it. I'm also wirelessly feeding 2 other routers acting as repeaters, which was something I'd never done with the 54GL and it seems to work really well.

I'm reading mixed things on it, but mine seems to be ok. Do some of them have Broadcom and some have the ARM7? DD-WRT indicates that mine has the ARM7, but I'm noticing a lot of discussion in the Broadcom forum too.

Like I was saying, the only real "issues" I've noticed with the router and particular build I'm using haven't affected operation, it's just a couple quirky things that get my OCD going. Maybe I got a good one??
Tyrant917
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got one of these yesterday. I immediately put the 24461 7/9/14 FW on it and didn't bother with the 4/4/14 FW that came with the router. Like you, it wasn't working correctly after initial update, but after I held down the reset button 3 seconds for a hard reset, it did the trick.

After that it was pretty easy setting up security for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands and that part has been working fine. I don't know about long term stability yet.

A small note for people that might not know: 2.4 GHz has longer range than 5 GHz, but it's fairly close to the frequency your microwave-oven so that kind of stuff might affect your stability. I wonder how many people blame that kind of stuff on the router:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference_at_2.4_GHz

Right now I'm struggling to create 2 separate WLANs -- a bridged 2.4 and 5 GHz WLAN for private home use and a separate WLAN for guest internet access by configuring the router with a virtual 2.4 GHz device. I hide home WLAN by turning off broadcast but leave the virtual 2.4 GHz device broadcasting so guests only see the virtual 2.4 GHz access point. I can't seem to configure the bridging correctly so that the guest network has access to the Internet. What makes it complicated is the default configuration settings uses VLANs (unlike my previous router) and the Internet port appears to be mapped to VLAN2. I'm not that familiar with VLAN configurations. If anybody has any success or expertise on this, I'd really appreciate it.
arvetus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
You really don't need to configure any new vlans.
On the wireless tab, just set up the virtual interface and bridge it.

Then go back to the main setup tab and go to the networking sub-tab and add an additional DHCP server and set the range you want and assign it to the virtual interface you created.

Save and apply and then go back to the wireless tab and enable AP isolation of the virtual interface you just created.

You're good to go. You've successfully created a guest network with a separate IP range that's off your main network. You have complete isolation and still have internet access on the guest. Simple.

Kong has a good write up here http://tips.desipro.de/2013/12/06/guest-wifi-setup-dd-wrt/

I have successfully done this, but I have trouble holding the wireless repeaters with this setup. so I don't enable it too often. If I really need a guest network, I can create one easily on the fly. If it's family coming to stay at my house, I don't care if they have my encryption key. Smile
Tyrant917
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip Avertus. I'll give your link a try. At one point I was trying to follow this one:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs

But that didn't seem to work for me. I actually didn't think I needed to touch the VLAN stuff, but eventually I got desperate and started tweaking that as well...

I could've sworn I already tried Kong's approach in the very beginning. Then again, it was late and I'm not sure what I did anymore. Better to reset the mind and try again... Smile
arvetus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tyrant917 wrote:
Thanks for the tip Avertus. I'll give your link a try. At one point I was trying to follow this one:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs

But that didn't seem to work for me. I actually didn't think I needed to touch the VLAN stuff, but eventually I got desperate and started tweaking that as well...

I could've sworn I already tried Kong's approach in the very beginning. Then again, it was late and I'm not sure what I did anymore. Better to reset the mind and try again... Smile

That is a much more complicated setup. Do it the way I described, which is basically following Kong's write up and it should work great for you!

Like I said, the only problem I had was running the guest network off my main router...I am thinking it was because I'm feeding two repeaters via wireless also. I'm going to try running a guest off one of my repeaters and see if that works better.
Tyrant917
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Arvetus, your tip worked. I got that guest WLAN working in no time. Thanks for that. Unfortunately that's where the good news stopped.

Port forwarding doesn't work. For the record, I bought the WZR-600DHP2D (that came with the open source FW). I tried another dd-wrt build #23919, but that didn't work either. I finally rolled back to the Buffalo factory FW with the nice "Buffalo" banner and a couple other minor interface differences. It also makes an attempt to auto-detect your network and setup your router, but the auto-detect failed for me, and it seemed to behave differently with different browsers... So I canceled out and did the settings manually. It has other little quirks too. But the important thing is all the wireless stuff works and the port forwarding also works, so I'm staying with the factory FW rev, which claims itself to be "DD-WRT v24SP2- (04/21/14) - build 23709a".

So there you have it. Stick with the factory bits. I'm guessing the features were better tested since this is a relatively new router and it doesn't seem that many people have used it extensively yet.
arvetus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting. I'm using port forwarding on 24461 with no issues that I can tell. Of course, I'm not running a virtual wireless interface either.

Did your port forwarding go bye bye after you set up the virtual interface?

I didn't try that when I set up my virtual interface, but I do know that when I did, it knocked my repeaters out of commission.

If that's the case with your port forwarding, it's obvious the build still has some issues, but it DOES work for what it is, you just can't use the full dd-wrt potential as you can on other routers. I'm not a power user by any means, at least not with dd-wrt on home-user grade routers Wink so I guess it doesn't bother me that much.
Tyrant917
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did set up the virtual interface before configuring the port forwarding so your theory is good. I think that'd be a worthwhile experiment for someone else if they happen to be experimenting with the latest FW. Wink I have kids and family to worry about so I won't be dumping any more time into it. I think it might be the last time I try OpenSource beta FW... haha.
arvetus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hear ya. That's why I'm just leaving mine as is for now. Mine is working for what I need and I will keep an eye on builds if something better comes out. It's bound to as these new routers start getting around.
soilman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
arvetus wrote:
You really don't need to configure any new vlans.
On the wireless tab, just set up the virtual interface and bridge it.

Then go back to the main setup tab and go to the networking sub-tab and add an additional DHCP server and set the range you want and assign it to the virtual interface you created.

Save and apply and then go back to the wireless tab and enable AP isolation of the virtual interface you just created.

You're good to go. You've successfully created a guest network with a separate IP range that's off your main network. You have complete isolation and still have internet access on the guest. Simple.

Kong has a good write up here http://tips.desipro.de/2013/12/06/guest-wifi-setup-dd-wrt/

I have successfully done this, but I have trouble holding the wireless repeaters with this setup. so I don't enable it too often. If I really need a guest network, I can create one easily on the fly. If it's family coming to stay at my house, I don't care if they have my encryption key. Smile

Can you set up WDS with this - so that not only the host router has a virtual AP on its own subnet providing an internet connection but also the client router provides access to the internet via the the same subnet as the virtual WAP? I've been trying to do this for 3 days, without success, however I'm bridging the virtual AP as described here, http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs. I have been creating a WDS successfully as the page describes, bring the regular WAP out to the client router and having it provide internet access, but I have not been able to get the client router to provide internet access via the new subnet that the virtual WAP is on.
arvetus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried that myself and could not do it either. I gave up as I don't have the time to sit and figure it out... and the frequency with which I would actually "need" a guest network is negligible for me to go through that sort of effort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: