$25 Asus TM-AC1900 (RT-AC68) [TMO]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 0:55    Post subject: $25 Asus TM-AC1900 (RT-AC68) [TMO] Reply with quote
Quote:
T-Mobile customers will be able to get their hands on one of these routers for free starting today. Simply call up the customer care line and order your own CellSpot. You do have to give T-Mobile a $25 refundable deposit, but that is nothing compared to the $150+ I spent on my Asus router.

http://www.zdnet.com/t-mobile-personal-cellspot-hands-on-never-worry-about-signal-strength-in-your-home-again-7000033767/

My reading indicates that it is an RT-AC68. If this is true, then I understand that this is the desired firmware:

http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=betas%2F2014%2F02-19-2014-r23598%2Fasus-rt-ac68u%2F

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC68U

I would ask that everyone refrain from posting and reserve posting for anyone that has purchased this router through T-Mobile and can document their success story with DD-WRT firmware. [TMO]

Last edited by gatorback on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:18; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
These branded routers often have a proprietary CFE that cannot be easily upgraded to be used with custom firmware:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38392

So before a bunch of people spend money on this, one person had best test this.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
jsmiddleton4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Caution certainly appropriate. Will point out that in the past the WRT54G-TM version, the T-Mobile version, was one of the BEST WRT-54G versions available and took DD-WRT no problems. Had more memory, etc., than the non-TM versions.
Previously:
Asus RT-N66U
Linksys E3000
Linksys WRT54GS Version 2.1
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Linksys WRT54G Version 1.1
coness
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can this thread be temporarily sticky? I'd love to hear of success stories from the brave folks that have bought one from T-Mobile.

Total side question, does anyone know exactly what is T-Mobile crap is on the router? My understanding is that it has custom firmware that just prioritizes voice. Anyone have concerns about privacy?
snagaduck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got mine in the mail today. I did not need to supply a deposit, however my coworker also picked one up and he did have to pay a deposit. So there is criteria that allows you to pick up this router for free with no deposit, what that is I do not know.

I would love to hear more about getting DD-WRT to function, however I don't think I'm qualified enough to lead the way.

The stock firmware it came with is 3.0.0.4.376_2827, and looking on the RT-AC68U firmware, they are on 3.0.0.4.376_1663. There is currently no download for the stock firmware for the TM-AC1900 (that I can find), so I'm not sure I want to goof around with it yet. Unless there was a way to extract a copy of the stock firmware from the device.

Linksys E1000 (AP Bridges)
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the webgui Asus or TMobile? That might tell something.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was a whole different thread about this earlier this week where we discussed it. Mine was shipped today so when I have it in hand i will le you know what is possible with this unit. FYI it was free till yesterday. It is now 25 bucks.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Is the webgui Asus or TMobile? That might tell something.

It's an Asus branded WebGUI.

TM-AC1900.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.61 KB
 Viewed:  39934 Time(s)

TM-AC1900.png

Linksys E1000 (AP Bridges)
ShinySteelRobot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I saw this topic in the forum I was super excited! An AC router for only $25!!

But on reading the first post, it's only for T-Mobile users. That's an awesome deal if you're a T-Mobile subscriber though (which I'm not). Bummer. Sad

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got mine this evening. I'm unusually paranoid about privacy and security, so I configured it and did the best I could to check it out before connecting it to the Internet. What I noticed:

1) The IP was 192.168.2X.X (I think it was 192.168.26.1, but not sure, as I promptly changed it)
2) There was no option to turn on, or off, automatic updates. I configured it manually as an AP, and didn't give it any DNS servers. Regardless, a few minutes after being online, it mysteriously rebooted. After checking the firmware, I see it updated itself.
3) There was apparently a way to turn off WPS. Unlike some older Linksys routers, the setting seems to work.
I don't trust any large company, including T-Mobile, with my privacy. I can't wait to get Open Source firmware on this thing. Over at this thread: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=19550
It seems somebody was successful in changing the firmware.
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mine arrives today I will let you know what we see after I have a few hours with it.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
@cdmarshall: we look forward to you publishing your results. If the install is successful, may I suggest posting the following?

1) FTP Link to the firmware version
2) Test measurements in 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands
3) Any other test metrics / measurements
4) USB 3.0 speed measurement
5) Optware (OTRW) compatibility
6) NVRAM available immediately after install
7) Installation procedure

I will update this list as I think of new things to test.

Last edited by gatorback on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:17; edited 4 times in total
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI there is another thread with this same subject that existed previously.

so for the last 3 hours I have upgraded mine and pounded it hard. And haven't ran into any issues. Easy change to DD-WRT as any ASUS. Used admin upgrade page on the stock fw and started with:
http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/06-23-2014-r24461/asus-rt-ac68u/asus_rt-ac68u-firmware.trx

logged in and telnet did and nvram erase and then loaded:

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/25015M/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin

No issues at all thus far.

It is simply VOIP calling. the T-Mobile phone firmware includes a VOIP client that connects to T-Mobiles (Level-3 actually) VOIp gateways. Sprint also has this and has for many years. T-Mobile phones will do it on any wi-fi connection. You do however have to set the address on your account for each phone as the big issues with VOIP is 911 (emergency services)

Please feel free to PM me if you with to talk further about how the TMobile and Sprint Cell VoIP works. AS I am intimately familiar with both ; )

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the future I will only be updating the below thread as there is no need for two on the same subject.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=268581

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: