Is T-Mobile modified Asus RT68 upgradeable to DD-wrt?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
chelman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:44    Post subject: Is T-Mobile modified Asus RT68 upgradeable to DD-wrt? Reply with quote
T-Mobile is giving customers a free router which is basically a modified Asus Rt68, read: http://www.cnet.com/products/t-mobile-personal-cellspot/
Does anyone know if it can be upgraded to DD-WRT?
Sponsor
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
we'll know when someone buys one and tries to install DD-WRT on it. by doing so, you will lose any of the T-Mobile functionality though.

The only way I can think of that this router would not be flashable to DD-WRT is if T-Mobile or Asus manages to disable the GUI update firmware feature(maybe they don;t give your the Administrator password?) or the hardware recovery function/tftp server.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
The previous t mobile routers were NOT easily upgraded to dd-wrt. They were Linksys G units.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will let you know mine arrives in a week
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
cdmarshall wrote:
I will let you know mine arrives in a week

Let us know if you are successful in flashing it. TIA
jsmiddleton4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a Linksys WRT54G-TM. Nothing about upgrading it to DD-WRT was difficult. Was sorry to sell it when I let it go. It took Tomato or DD-WRT just fine.
Previously:
Asus RT-N66U
Linksys E3000
Linksys WRT54GS Version 2.1
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Linksys WRT54G Version 1.1
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsmiddleton4 wrote:
I had a Linksys WRT54G-TM. Nothing about upgrading it to DD-WRT was difficult.

...because tornado and others spent a long time to figure out the cfe upgrade. THEN it was easy. Rolling Eyes

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm hoping that someone (Tornado?) can comment on how it was determined that a CFE mod was necessary for the previous generation of TMO routers. The hope is that we can infer from lessons-learned whether the new generation of TMO routers will need CFE modification.
jsmiddleton4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't recall having to modify the CFE on my WRT54G-TM version.
Previously:
Asus RT-N66U
Linksys E3000
Linksys WRT54GS Version 2.1
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Linksys WRT54G Version 1.1
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsmiddleton4 wrote:
I don't recall having to modify the CFE on my WRT54G-TM version.

Well, you did:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G-TM

If you log into the router and there is proprietary tmobile firmware there, especially if the router is not at the default ip (the wrt54g-tm was at 192.168.0.1) the router will almost certainly require a different cfe to flash it to dd-wrt.

Tornado has not been around for years and I don't know of anyone else, maybe Barryware, who has the skills to create the appropriate file. I once worked with tornado on something similar, and I rarely had ANY idea what he was talking about.

My bet would be that this will not be simple. Hence my earlier warning. But we won't know until someone gets one and can tell us what is inside.

gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Murrkf: How/why is the default LAN IP address correlated with firmware?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
why would you want to lose the capability that the t-mobile router has by putting dd-wrt on it?

From what I understand, the router will have the capability for your cell phone to connect to it via cell phone digital frequencies and you won't use up any of your phone minutes.

The wrt56g-tm router had some special stuff in it's firmware so it would spare the battery of you phone device but it was more or less just a router.

I would suspect that the existing firmware on the device will not allow 3rd party firmware just like the TM and the Rogers RG.

If you get past that, the cfe will not allow it (speculation based on past experience)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
gatorback wrote:
@Murrkf: How/why is the default LAN IP address correlated with firmware?

Because a different stock IP would increase the likelihood that they have changed from a stock CFE....as they did in the past.

cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well the router doesn't have any special software on it allowing for cell service. It has QOS predefined for T-Mobile voip service. Cell service would be different hardware not software. As to the ability to do it. its all conjecture till i have one in my hands and see if they did anything fancy to it.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
why would you want to lose the capability that the t-mobile router has by putting dd-wrt on it?

Maybe some people just want a $200 router that runs DD-WRT for 25$?

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: