Brand new Linksys EA6700, keep or sell?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
cmberry20
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:40    Post subject: Brand new Linksys EA6700, keep or sell? Reply with quote
I basically purchased an EA6700 as an impulse buy (£50/$80) in October last year!!. I was going to replace my crappy Sky Hub router with it, but I then found out that it wasn't a simple task; it need DD-WRT installed on it in order to implement a startup command in order to mimic the Sky Hub user name and password. Currently, I've not even unboxed the EA6700 & is sitting there still in its cellophane wrap.

The main reason why I've waited is that I wanted a really good stable version of DD-WRT to be released for the EA6700. I dont want to do anything fancy with the router, just connect several wireless devices, my PC & a NAS. But, I want a good rock solid performance where I don't want to keep restarting the router or having wireless devices being disconnected randomly.

So, my question is this:
Do I sell the EA6700 router & get another one that has similar performance but has much better stability when it comes to DD-WRT firmware & support?
Or, do I stick with it & use the latest Kong firmware which will offer me good stability with good speeds?
Sponsor
espionage724
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the EA6700, and it's been pretty stable with DD-WRT from what I've seen. I have around 8 devices regularly connected via wireless (all but 3-4 are on the 2.4GHz AP).

I recently switched over to the latest Kong build; had one random reboot in the past two days.

The main issue with the EA6700 (most/all EA series routers) is the CFE bug where you can't use more than 32 KB without experiencing issues. However, flashing an updated CFE from a EA6900 seems to fix this (at least for me; probably needs more testing from others).
D1GG3R
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
espionage724 wrote:
I have the EA6700, and it's been pretty stable with DD-WRT from what I've seen. I have around 8 devices regularly connected via wireless (all but 3-4 are on the 2.4GHz AP).

I recently switched over to the latest Kong build; had one random reboot in the past two days.

The main issue with the EA6700 (most/all EA series routers) is the CFE bug where you can't use more than 32 KB without experiencing issues. However, flashing an updated CFE from a EA6900 seems to fix this (at least for me; probably needs more testing from others).

What build are you on mate??
and where did you get the 6900 cfe??

Cheers
DiGG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: