ASUS RT-N16 aftermarket antenna configuration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Gunn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 18:54    Post subject: ASUS RT-N16 aftermarket antenna configuration Reply with quote
I purchased a TP-Link TL-ANT2424B 2.4GHz 24dBi directional grid parabolic antenna to use on my RT-N16 router running DD-WRT, to extend the range of my network to a location about 500ft. away.

This router has 3 antennas...how should I configure the router to maximize my range with this antenna? Should I replace the center OEM antenna wth the parabolic antenna? Should I remove the other OEM antennas?

Surely it shouldn't be required to purchase 3 of these big antennas to see a benefit to the range...even thought that may be ideal.

Thanks,
Sponsor
MrAlvin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmmm... good question, and actually I have no clue, I would however think that the 'system' is smart enough to use the antenna that gives the best signal.

It is my impression that n-mode WiFi makes use of all three antennas, and also makes use of the signal difference between the antennas.

With only one antenna in actual use (the parabolic antenna), you may benefit from using G-mode only, so the system will not keep testing to see if it can establish a better link, using N-mode.

Just my 2 cents.
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's been a while, but there should be some old posts on this.

I thought the middle antenna on the RT-N16 wasn't really used.

I believe you have to replace the 2 end ones, but you should replace all 3.

I replaced all 3 of mine with 7-dbi panel directional antennas and they work great.

I've also used 3 - 9-dbi omni antennas as well and those were good too.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
Gunn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
DoesItMatter wrote:
It's been a while, but there should be some old posts on this.

I thought the middle antenna on the RT-N16 wasn't really used.

I believe you have to replace the 2 end ones, but you should replace all 3.

I replaced all 3 of mine with 7-dbi panel directional antennas and they work great.

I've also used 3 - 9-dbi omni antennas as well and those were good too.

Thanks guys. I have done a lot of searching on this subject, but nothing definitive. I did read one post that said the middle one was the least used also...but just that one post and not confirmed. Haven't found anything definitive.

I've tried use the parabolic antenna in the center, and two OEM on the sides, and just finished a day of testing with no side antennas at all. No real difference. I think my problem was the WiFi instability of the DD-WRT kingkong 22000 build I put on the router the other day. For no apparent reason, the WiFi signal will instantaneously lose a bunch of strength. Then at a random time, it will pop back up.

Going to try another build and see if it gets any better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: