Bricked R7000. Any hope?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kcchris
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 21:53    Post subject: Bricked R7000. Any hope? Reply with quote
In a moment of stupidity I issued a "erase mtd nvram" command on my R7000 and therefore now have a brick. I hooked a JTAG cable up but am not getting anything back from router. The lights are different when it boots with the JTAG connected, so I believe it's acknowledging the JTAG is connected, but I don't get any response back in the console. From what I have read, it looks like I would have to reflash the CFE, but I have not been able to find a R7000 CFE posted anywhere.

Does anyone have a R7000 CFE they could share with me? After that it looks like I need the tjtag utility from Tornado to try to flash the CFE back on. Does anyone know if tjtag will work with the R7000 chipset?

I'm hoping my 10 seconds of stupidity don't land me a permanent paperweight.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsor
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
1 ea R7000 cfe.

R7000cfe.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  R7000cfe.bin
 Filesize:  512 KB
 Downloaded:  2542 Time(s)

kcchris
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 16:25    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
1 ea R7000 cfe.

Thank you much for this. I've been working on getting it back on the router - trying several different cable options. After no success and another round of research, I realize my problem is that I have been trying to connect to the router via it's serial connection and not JTAG.

I don't see a JTAG connector on the logic board that jumps out at me and can't find any pinouts online. Does anyone know if the R7000 has JTAG?
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 16:50    Post subject: Re: Bricked R7000. Any hope? Reply with quote
kcchris wrote:
In a moment of stupidity I issued a "erase mtd nvram" command on my R7000 and therefore now have a brick. I hooked a JTAG cable up but am not getting anything back from router. The lights are different when it boots with the JTAG connected, so I believe it's acknowledging the JTAG is connected, but I don't get any response back in the console. From what I have read, it looks like I would have to reflash the CFE, but I have not been able to find a R7000 CFE posted anywhere.

Does anyone have a R7000 CFE they could share with me? After that it looks like I need the tjtag utility from Tornado to try to flash the CFE back on. Does anyone know if tjtag will work with the R7000 chipset?

I'm hoping my 10 seconds of stupidity don't land me a permanent paperweight.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

An mtd erase nvram does not wipe cfe. Does the power light flash if you try to boot? If yes then it has started tftpd and you just have to tftp a new "chk" to it.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 16:18    Post subject: Re: Bricked R7000. Any hope? Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
An mtd erase nvram does not wipe cfe. Does the power light flash if you try to boot? If yes then it has started tftpd and you just have to tftp a new "chk" to it.

Not "mtd erase nvram", "erase mtd nvram" - which I believe is a bit more serious.

When it powers on all the lights are on steady. If I hook up a cable to the serial headers and boot then only one light is on (I'll have to check which one,) but I can't get any response from the router at all over serial. I'm thinking JTAG is the only option but I can't find the headers.

Would love some thoughts on this. I got a refurb R6300v1 that I'm using for now, and tested the serial connection on it and it works fine. I can interrupt boot at CFE and tftp to it with no issues. So I'm thinking the R7000 is pretty porked.

Thanks for your input!
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 16:57    Post subject: Re: Bricked R7000. Any hope? Reply with quote
kcchris wrote:
<Kong> wrote:

Not "mtd erase nvram", "erase mtd nvram" - which I believe is a bit more serious.

No erasing nvram partition is absolutely safe on all units I ported.

Quote:

When it powers on all the lights are on steady. If I hook up a cable to the serial headers and boot then only one light is on (I'll have to check which one,) but I can't get any response from the router at all over serial. I'm thinking JTAG is the only option but I can't find the headers.

I connecting usb-ttl makes any difference how the leds light up, then you got the wrong pins connected.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: