WRTSL54GS

lceron
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:44    Post subject: WRTSL54GS Reply with quote
hello everyone, i am basically looking for positive/negative feedback with the wrtsl54gs unit. is the unit able to function properly with the dd wrt v23 sp2. i am most interested in the usb port to attach a hard drive, but don't want to just dive in to buying this router without feedback from anyone in here. any feedback will be most appraciated.
Sponsor
Big Daddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:17    Post subject: Not yet... but we are all waiting! Reply with quote
I have been doing my own research on this, and as of now from what I have uncovered our WRTSL54GS will work with DD-WRT, and many other alternative firmwares.

The problem is only one that I am aware of supports the USB port: Thibor http://www.thibor.co.uk/#cisco

I do think I also found a blurb in another forum that Tomato may offer USB support as well. Not sure on this, anyone?

I bought my WRTSL54GS because of two main features... Linux based and the storage. I love the ability to get to my files via FTP from anywhere!

I have waited a year and still no USB support here from DD-WRT... Im gonna try Thibor and wait for DD-WRT to add this valuable feature! Thibor is seen as a little easier for most, but I like the advanced features of DD-WRT, I WILL CHANGE AS SOON AS DD-WRT adds USB support through the GUI!
Troll-WRT
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
In OpenWRT the USB-Port ist working
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think there is some sort of mistake here, dd-wrt DOES support USB, just as good as openwrt actually (or very close), just doesn't support it natively. In fact, if you are capable of getting USB working in openwrt, you are capable of getting it to work in dd-wrt (with a few differences in the config).

Yes, its true that hyperwrt also supports usb flash drives and printers and is rather easy to setup, but it is also very limited in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, as for using USB in dd-wrt, I have tested it with versions v23 sp2, and v24.

It is just a matter of configuring the router the proper way, and you should be able to do what you need, as far as the usb goes.

The tests I had done using v23, used various builds including the final, while v24 seems to be most stable with the version built on 9/10/2006. I wont even begin to try to tell you how many issues I've faced with the newer builds of v24 on the SL, suffice to say I've probably bricked it dead about 30-40 times while trying to get them to work (good thing that unbricking linksys routers isnt too bad,otherwise i'd be out a router..)

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck.
Big Daddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:39    Post subject: WHEN WILL USB BE NATIVE??? Reply with quote
I believe you mean through the GUI... right? I really dont want to F with the command line, if I can avoid. If HyperWRT Thibor can do it, why cant DD-WRT?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: