Should I flash DD-WRT with my setup ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
BuhBuh-Ray
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 22:24    Post subject: Should I flash DD-WRT with my setup ? Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm a newbie in this field.

I recently got a WRT54G V5 router. I'm also using a D-Link DI-704P wired router that I want to keep using since that one have a print server.

I was able to configure my WRT54G as an access point and have it to work with my D-Link, everything works smoothly, and I'm also able to browse the hard drive of other computers on my local network using my notebook and the wireless connection. I'm currently using the latest Linksys firmware.

The only problem I have is that since my setup is in my basement, the wireless signal to my notebook is not good when I'm outside on my rear patio. I don't think I'll be able to place the wireless router somewhere else.

My question is: other than being able to try overclocking the router and to boost a little the transmit power, would flashing DD-WRT 2.3 SP1 on my V5 wireless help me, or give me any other advantages than keeping the current firmware ?

Thanks in advance
Sponsor
tgm4883
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
The best thing you could do would be to buy better antenna's for your wrt and if possible for your notebook
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
right. a better antenna improves transmitting and receiving. dd-wrt micro for the v5 works good for many people. but this unit lacks really of memory. so you can get troubles if you're using too much of the provided features at the same time. i will constantly improve the micro firmware to get the memory consumption lower and lower. but would never say that a v5 is a good unit for dd-wrt

Navigation

Jump to: