default setting 'Authentication Type' unsecure or secure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
vanDivX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 19:00    Post subject: default setting 'Authentication Type' unsecure or secure? Reply with quote
I set my wireless security to WAP - PSK and AES+TKIP choice and I thought I was secured.

Now as I am going over other settings, I noticed in Advanced settings this choice 'Authentication Type' which by default is set to Auto which would seem to leave my system open to anybody unless I read it wrong.

I want to believe I understand it wrong and that Auto setting here doesn't allow Open System access but then again, I find that highly misleading.

Perhaps what is meant by this Advanced setting is that if you select 'Shared Key' here... can't finish what I tried to say here, I am baffled, what gives.

Also if I go back to Wireless Security tab and drop down menu where you select those different types of it and don't make any change there and go back to Advanced Settings, I find the Auto default value selected again even though I did save the Shared Key choice I made, same thing happens when I go to Admin tab and reboot the router from there... I mean why is the Authentication Type choice there in Advanced Settings when it doesn't stick and is returning stubornly to its default setting?? Is that perhaps a bug or am I missing something here?

vanDivX
Sponsor
vanDivX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
on top of all that, I just found that playing with this setting (setting it to Shared Key with it defaulting by itself back to Auto) has somehow reset the wireless card in my client PC to not use any security whatsoever and so it couldn't connect (its lost the entered Key), what's going on here, anybody has anything to say to this?

Possibly that is due to bad card but its brand new DLink DWL-G520, still I am open to it that it is crap, expensive one at that.

vanDivX
swinn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Authentication Type is only used if you are using WEP encryption.
WL520gU (Routing)
Running DD-WRT v24 SP2 - http://www.dd-wrt.com
vanDivX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
swinn wrote:
Authentication Type is only used if you are using WEP encryption.

meaning I don't have to pay attention to it given I use WPA then.

thx

also I believe now the software Dlink provides for their card is crap as it gets (their DLink - AirPlus soft they supply with their wireless card), I went back to windows wireless networking thing and cconnected right away, Dlink software looses connection once you try to refresh it and its hard to get connected again, even reboots don't fix it, only shutting down for some time and then booting up might get me connected (at least one time it did), windows networking works much better amazingly.

vanDivX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: