debrick versus rma ? what would be wise ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
SomeOne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 14:06    Post subject: debrick versus rma ? what would be wise ? Reply with quote
Hello,

I have bricked WRT54GSv2.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1264

I tried easy ways to bring it back to life but with no success yet. It does not respond to ping.

Now I can either crack it open (void warranty) and try to short-circuit pins, JTAG, etc. or just RMA it to Linksys as it is right now and get a replacement.

If I do RMA, I do not know which model they are going to send me back. From reading the forum I understand that it is not always true that later version is better. Some cannot be flashed with dd-wrt for example.

What is the common wisdom here: debrick or rma? If rma, which particular h/w versions I should try to avoid or try to get if I give up my current WRT54GS V2.

Thanks
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Debrick! (JTAG)
You'll never get replacement router with 8MB flash and 32 MB ram. (You'll get 2 /16 in best scenario)
dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's one of the best models -- don't send it back !

Just try the pin-shorting trick - it only takes a few minutes.

I've done this dozens of times

here's some tips --

1) I always set my computer's IP to static - it won't be able to pull a dhcp assignment from the brick.

2) I use a hub between the pc and the router to avoid delays in the pc's ethernet initializing -- If you can't do that, set the ethernet port to 10Mb/HDX so it doesn't waste precious nanoseconds auto-negotiating with the wrt port.

3) I keep continuous pings to 192.168.1.1 running in one window, and have the tftp transfer all queued up to start in another, and I focus on this tftp window.

4) I tape one side of my wire to the flat top of the antenna port so I can hit the pins on the flash chip with the other end using one hand while I power up with the other hand.

5) I move my "power hand" to the keyboard. As soon as I see the first ping response from the wrt with the TTL=100, I start the tftp

I sometimes have to repeat 4) & 5) to get the timing just right, but I've always been successfull.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agreed... I bricked my new v4 the first few minutes I had it. I hunted through the store shevles and found the only v4 left in a sea of v5's so there was no way I was sending it back. After a few minutes I calmed down, cracked it open, shorted the pins and it has been working fine ever since. It isn't that hard if you follow the directions as you should.
SomeOne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you all. Collective knowledge indicates debrick, so be it...

Linksys revival guide http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=33 is sommewhat outdated and stops on GSv1.1.

Can someone who already successfuly debricked WRT54GS V2 confirm
that I should be using

pin 5 and pin 6 to for tip #2 ,
antena "earth" and pin 6 for tip #3 ?
saer278
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have successfully debricked my wrt54gv4 using the step listed in the link. Nothing worked for me until I shorted the pins on the flash chip and it then went into diag mode, applied my firmware and all is well.
saer278
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
btw, RMA'ing devices due to applying a 3rd party firmware or moding the thing only pushes manufactures to lock down their devices. It’s like adding a supercharger to your car and complaining to Ford when it blows up for an exchange. I change my wrt54g’s knowing that if I screw it up, I either fix it or buy a new one rather than ruining it for everyone else.

Just my 2 cents..
raeandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found that tip #2 was incorrect for my WRT54GS v1.1. I needed to short pins 15 & 16.

Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: