Problems with IP addresses running DD-WRT behind ATT 2wire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
yamarocket630
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:33    Post subject: Problems with IP addresses running DD-WRT behind ATT 2wire Reply with quote
I am running my WRT54G with DDWRT behind my ATT 2-wire 3600HGV using these instructions:

https://thestandardoutput.com/2013/06/running-a-linksys-wrt54gl-with-dd-wrt-behind-an-att-uverse-2wire-gateway/

After booting everything up, all the devices on my network connect fine and are assigned an IP address in the WRT's range of 192.168.x

After a few hours, the devices start falling off the WRT's IP address range and pick up an IP address from the 2-wire in the 168.192.x range. This screws with my bandwidth limiting rules and causes my direct tv box to not be able to connect, etc.

The WRT assigns IP in 192.168.x range
2-Wire assigns in 168.192.x range
Both use the same subnet mask currently, although previously they were different.

Wireless is disabled on the 2-wire, and all the devices connect to the SSID on WRT, but mostly they get an IP address from the 2-wire...

So far I have tried
1. Setting the IP address ranges to completely different configurations i.e. 192.168.x and 10.0.x on the 2 routers.

2. Setting the subnet masks to different ranges on the 2 routers.

3. Currently the 2-wire is set to only allow 1 IP address 168.192.x.1. It has only been this way for a short time but already devices are starting to grab the wrong IP range.

My DD-wrt is running Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) mini

Please help! Is this normal? It seems to be causing all my bandwidth scripting to be bypassed.

If all of the scripting is set to filter by MAC ID only does it really matter what IP address is assigned?

By the way I did search but couldn't find an answer to this anywhere.

[/url]
Sponsor
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
What you are describing is not "normal."

However, from the information you have provided, I could not pick up how you have things connected. And by that, I mean is everything connected to your DD-WRT router then to your 2wire router, or is it some other combination?

I currently have ATT Uverse and have an E3000 connecting the rest of my network behind a 2wire router. Because I feel the 2wire router does not have enough options, I set up 2wire router to DMZ the DD-WRT router and have all other connections go into the DD-WRT router. Wireless is also provided by the DD-WRT router.

The key to getting the 2wire router to act right is to reset everything back to basics, then change the network addressing. Once that is done, then all of the "security" features of the 2wire router need to be disabled and forwarded to the DD-WRT router. DD-WRT is more than enough security for my home network.

Let me know if you need any more information yamarocket630, or if the above has been helpful to you.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
native_tx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:45    Post subject: Reset Router Reply with quote
30-30-30 while router is booting up, login to your 2wire router, plug ethernet connection into 2wire ethernet port from there to your wan of port of your router get to the 2wire gui dmz your router and then your done. You create your own network subnet. You could disable the wireless networks on the 2wire if you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: