WRT54GS v5.1 (DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (05/16/06) micro) - RAM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
CrazyHorse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:52    Post subject: WRT54GS v5.1 (DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (05/16/06) micro) - RAM? Reply with quote
As I understand it, the v5.1 of the WRT54GS has 16MB of RAM. However after loading DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (05/16/06) micro onto the unit, sysinfo only shows 8MB. Has anyone been able to come up with a way to change this from 8MB to 16MB? Thanks.
Sponsor
mahenry
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still 8 MB of RAM with the GS when running dd-wrt v23 sp1 micro as far as I know. I notice you are using the 5/16 build of the firmware. You can gain some improvement by using a later build. BrainSlayer optimized the more recent micro builds in an effort to free up as much memory as possible. I know that db90h has said in the past that he would be willing to play around with a GS unit, if he could get his hands on one, in an attempt to resolve the 16 MB issue. Of course, both he and BrainSlayer have spent a great deal of time on this project already, and I never like to make assumptions about other people's time.

Anyway, here is a link to the most recent v23 sp1 micro firmware. Also, look to disable unnecessary services (like possibly telnet), after you get it all setup to free up as much memory as possible.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Funtested_alpha_unstable%2Fdd-wrt.v23+SP1+multilanguage/

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have a GS 5.1 here but i was unable to enable the 16 mb ram yet. it seems like we need a different cfe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
mahenry wrote:
Anyway, here is a link to the most recent v23 sp1 micro firmware. Also, look to disable unnecessary services (like possibly telnet), after you get it all setup to free up as much memory as possible.

Thank you, I have now installed 11/07 SP2 micro generic firmware on the router, it does seem a little bit better. I will disable telnet to free up some memory.

Perhaps the 16MB is just a matter of setting a nvram parameter, as was mentioned in an article that deals with removing vxWorks and installing DD-WRT on the v5.1/v6 WRT54GS devices.

Cheers,
Alex.

Last edited by CrazyHorse on Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:11; edited 1 time in total
CrazyHorse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
i have a GS 5.1 here but i was unable to enable the 16 mb ram yet. it seems like we need a different cfe

I'm quite happy to test things out for you if required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: