Linksys WRT1900AC/Marvell support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 152, 153, 154  Next
gueriLLaPunK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is DD-WRT being developed for this router? OpenWRT is still buggy for me.
Sponsor
gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
gueriLLaPunK wrote:
Is DD-WRT being developed for this router?

Don't think so.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/content/dd-wrt-linksys-wrt-1900ac

BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
i may be developed. but its up to belkin and marvel to send me finally the sourcecodes we need for the drivers. had had some talks in background with these parties and they aggreed to send us everything. but nothing happend yet. and well. but if you ask me about my opinion. this device is just highly overpriced. technically you will not find something you wont get from other devices

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheers dude,

Can you explain a bit more thoroughly like you did to me, that'll give more context, you're missing some of the points you expressed to me.
gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
i may be developed. but its up to belkin and marvel to send me finally the sourcecodes we need for the drivers. had had some talks in background with these parties and they aggreed to send us everything.

Vcool!

BrainSlayer wrote:
but nothing happend yet.

Crying or Very sad

Cheers..

BTY, I love your sig!

jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's not actually verbatim correct, what he explained to me was slightly diff, but I'll leave it to him to go into more detail/clarify.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Even if Belkin/Linksys comes up with drivers etc. I think it is a bit late.
Lots of people told me that they are returning the unit after they found out, that support is in doubt or at least won't come in short.

And as I already mentioned there will be soon more powerful units, such as the Netgear with dual 1400Mhz.
http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/News/Article.asp?TextID=2383

So specwise, the Linksys will be soon obsolete.

Since the R7500 is an Atheros unit, it should be much easier to add support for it.

I don't know how the ART1900AC can become a Top Seller know, nowadays pretty much all broadcom/atheros units get opensource support, either dd-wrt or openwrt or both.

Now tell me why you should buy a WRT1900AC?
It also does not bring any innovation in firmware.

Although I was been sweating with BrainSlayers changes and I wasn't happy until yesterday.

DD-WRT is setting new standards now. We are going to be the first router firmware that completely moves to musl, it has been a lot of work and pain, but my builds are running great now and once I publish them there will be also a repository with packages compiled with a dd-wrt compatible musl toolchain.

Last edited by <Kong> on Tue Jul 01, 2014 15:29; edited 2 times in total
jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
Even if Belkin/Linksys comes up with drivers etc, I think it is a bit late.
...that support is in doubt or at least won't come in short.

There's a compromise, not a full release...
Which I'm waiting for BS to elaborate on (his last post was short on detail), tis still far from ideal though.

Quote:
And as I already mentioned there will be soon more powerful units, such as the Netgear with dual 1400Mhz.

Everything's obsolete sooner or later, esp. in this sector, I don't think that's a really valid point, the others are fair points though.

Quote:
It also does bring any innovation in firmware.

Now how's that possible given that dd-wrt (& others) do intend to support it? Wink (albeit with caveats)

Quote:
Although I was been sweating with BrainSlayers changes and I wasn't happy until yesterday.

?
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
jalyst wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
Even if Belkin/Linksys comes up with drivers etc, I think it is a bit late.
...that support is in doubt or at least won't come in short.

There's a compromise, not a full release...
Which I'm waiting for BS to elaborate on (his last post was short on detail), tis still far from ideal though.

Quote:

Everything's obsolete sooner or later, esp. in this sector, I don't think that's a really valid point, the others are fair points though.

Quote:
It also does bring any innovation in firmware.

Now how's that possible given that dd-wrt (& others) do intend to support it? Wink (albeit with caveats)

Quote:

?

Compromise? I'm curious about that:-)

Regarding obsolete: if you get a R7000 now you have the full choice of firmwares, 99% of the users should be happy with that. Now to those that need something faster the WRT1900AC is not a good choice right now, it is limited by the firmware and by the time this limitation is gone you might be able to get something faster with a firmware that is just as good.

Intention to support a unit is not enough, someone has to do it and it has to work fine. There is an openwrt build, but it is so immature, that it is is not for daily use and only causes a lot of trouble.
To deliver a stable build it is important, that the driver manufacturer works closely with the firmware developers or if the firmware developers have all the sources and possibly documentation.

If you own a WRT1900AC it won't help if someone has the intention to support it. It is like buying a car without wheels, it won't help if the dealer tells you he intends to deliver some wheels in the future.

The move to musl means lots of work for me. Since I also provide dd-wrt compatible packages. Thus I had to move to the new toolchain,clean,recompile and fix distro specific problems when compiling the firmware Then setup my package building system, and fix toolchain and package sources in order to build the packages. You should note, that openwrt does not really support musl right now, thus only a few packages can be build and I had to patch a lot of stuff. The packages are very important e.g. for full ipv6 support. This was no fun for me and some bugs have to wait.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was making a general point that no hw is safe from being obsolete before too long.
Regardless of how good low lvl fw support is, it's just a reality nowadays...

Quote:
There is an openwrt build, but it is so immature, that it is is not for daily use and only causes a lot of trouble.

You know this from heavily testing/using AA & BB builds, I hope...
Seen others using it & (mostly) being happy, especially given the alpha/beta nature of the builds.

Quote:
To deliver a stable build it is important, that the driver manufacturer works closely with the firmware developers or if the firmware developers have all the sources and possibly documentation.

Yes I'll wait for BS to go into more detail, as he did with me...
It's still not terribly promising, but it's a bit better than what he detailed in his last post.

Quote:
If you own a WRT1900AC it won't help if someone has the intention to support it. It is like buying a car without wheels, it won't help if the dealer tells you he intends to deliver some wheels in the future.

Except there is support, tis just not a lvl of support that is optimal...

Quote:
This was no fun for me and some bugs have to wait.

Well done, your efforts don't go unnoticed or under-appreciated...
gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Matthew Fatheree aka:greymattr (works at belkin)

wifi driver update
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=240734#p240734

commits
https://github.com/wrt1900ac/opensource/commits/master

jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
gufus wrote:
Matthew Fatheree aka:greymattr (works at belkin)
wifi driver update
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=240734#p240734
commits
https://github.com/wrt1900ac/opensource/commits/master

Interesting...

BrainSlayer/Others,

Any further comments on this, thoughts!?

TY.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
The precompiled binary wifi driver is of no use other than for the specific kernel version it is compiled for.

The message from Belkin is still the same:
We will try to get Marvell's approval for releasing the source (so it can be used for any kernel version) but we don't promise anything.

Status Quo if you ask me, nothing new under the sun.
jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, that's the "glass is half full" perspective, this is the full wording:

Quote:
Hi All,

We received the official open source wireless driver this week. We will be working to get it integrated into the trunk in the coming days. The ipk package was created and posted for those who wish to use it, but we are still very committed releasing a version that can be recompiled by users. For those users with reservations about using a pre-compiled component, I would recommend waiting just a bit longer for the open source version. Once we have done some spot checks on the driver, I will see if I can get approval to post it as well ( no promises ).

Plenty of wiggle room there, still reserving final judgement...
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
jalyst wrote:
Yeah, that's the "glass is half full" perspective, this is the full wording:

Quote:
Hi All,

We received the official open source wireless driver this week. We will be working to get it integrated into the trunk in the coming days. The ipk package was created and posted for those who wish to use it, but we are still very committed releasing a version that can be recompiled by users. For those users with reservations about using a pre-compiled component, I would recommend waiting just a bit longer for the open source version. Once we have done some spot checks on the driver, I will see if I can get approval to post it as well ( no promises ).

Plenty of wiggle room there, still reserving final judgement...

So they will work on getting the "official open source wl driver" into trunk but they are still not sure if they will be allowed to publish it.
How does that make sense?
Wtf is a non-public "official open source driver"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 152, 153, 154  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 12 of 154
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: